Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Phil's Mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think I'd have a harder time backing up using the camera monitor than just using the rear view mirrors. But you did a nice job as usual on adding the camera and monitor.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Damn it! "farkle twin powers, activate!"
    hello, my name is Mike and I am also a modaholic You are an enabler Phil!
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Phil, you are the Man! Can't wait to see all your work at Spyderfest!

Spyder Garage

Very interesting mods!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much for the comments (insert bowdown here)

Ok.... On to installing Pete's Dash Kit for the Spyder RT........
    ===============================================

First, I have to say how professional PowerSportsWraps truly is. Pete and his staff kept me informed during the process. I got personal attention from Pete, no matter what the level of my question. He pointed me to the videos that really went a long way to calm the 'never done this before' jitters.

I start paying attention at the level of the packing on things I order. Weird, huh?! But it tells a lot about a company's attention to detail. When I opened the box ( and removed a small amount of filler) here's what I found:

The box told me what I was receiving in picture form. I DO read... a lot! But there's nothing like a diagram to show what you get. There were a few other friendly sheets reminding me to watch the video, if I had not already ( I had). And that smell!!!! Pete will have to comment on what it is, but it's like new car, Mom's apple pie, spring morning and a new Spyder challenge all rolled into one. Sorry... Back to it...

Here's one of my mirrors before putting on the first piece ( I know... We all know what it looks like):

Here's the after......

I did this first because it was small. I also learned a few things. First I learned to follow the video and really heat the product. My heat gun died awhile back and Northern Tool was sold out last Friday (didn't plan well) so my bride's hair dryer was the stand in. Heat not only makes it flexible, but to me, SEEMS to make it temporarily less sticky. By that I mean it seemed that it was easier to move the product and re-lay it if I needed. The video helped me see that I should use my fingers to guide the edges to where I wanted them.

In the end, here's how it all came out. Not too many comments, just various angles and lighting to show how the dark burl wood look... looks

Of note on the pic below... I knew I needed to cut holes in Pete's great work to put my light switches back in. This is 'pre-cut'. Nervous? You bet!!!!

I also had to get it through my head that the pieces are MEANT to have gaps. It's part of the look. I was wanting an understated, walnut type burl wood look, and Pete made that happen. I'm lovin it!!!!

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

WHILE I HAD DARTH APART.......
    I added a few more lights ( I really do need help).

I added LEDs inside of the saddle bags. It really will help at might. I also had a few of the LEDs you see below sitting around. I got them through another SpyderLovers friend awhile back.

Almost all lights on Darth are purple/UV. natively, the lights were about 5,000 degrees. Enter a friend that does lighting at our church. Yup that position actually exists. He had some extra purple gels used in theatrical lighting sitting around so, I got one from him. A little super glue and work with scissors and taaaadaaaaa---

Here it is lit, but please note at my iPhone just doesn't seem to render purple well. It looks blue in the picture, but it really is purple.

We'll see how long it lasts . I added about 8 of these to accent color around the bike. Oh... I took this Saturday. I did clean my hands and did my nails before Sunday

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are out of control! I'm looking forward to seeing your Spyder at Spyderfest
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

So, what will you do when you run out of ideas???
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have an idear - HE WON'T

Phil as always, thanks for keeping us upto date, I am sure you have fired up the imagination of several Spyder Owners, I have learnt from your
    posting and the knowledge you share

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Spyder – RT-S SES (AUTO 2010 Model)

List of Mods :-
    Added Zuno 660 - Garmin kit as supplied on the Spyder RT Limited
    Digital Voltmeter and Digital Clock to replace Fuel and Temp gauge – Fuel and Temp now
    displayed in Cluster Display
    LED Bulbs Reversing Lights,Front position lights
    HMT - Brake Light
    Full Size Brake Pedal by Steve = TricLed.com
    LED – Running lights
    LED - Mud Flap lights
    Rear extended Mud Flap
    LED Light in Rear Trunk
    Elka Shocks Stage 1 +R – Front and Rear
    Shock Covers
    Track Rod Covers
    Spyderpops – BumpSkid .Missing Belt Grard & New Funk weatherstrip
    BaJaRon – Custom Ignition Wire Set + NGK 2 Iridium DCPR8EIX. Spark Plugs
    K&N Air Filter
    Sport Tall Wide Clear Windshield – Cut down to 24” High
    Chrome 2011 Front Lower Wind deflecors
    Utopia Backrest
    S/S Seat Prop
    S/S Handlebar Weights
    S/S Grills both sides matching
    Bottom Panel S/S Protection
    S/S stronger Funk Lid brackets
    S/S Bracket for RBNS Hood for Zumo 660 GPS + TourTech Lockable Mount
    Mirrors Zipped tied for added potection
    Rubber Tank protector on glove box
    Grip Puppies
    Switch in Swith Cluster for Manual Fan operation
    Power Socket in Switch Cluster and at Rear passenger Handrail
    Rear Speaker Switch for passenger On/OFF
    Upgraded Front/Rear J&M Speakers
    Bluetooth Via Sony transmitter TMR- BT10 - On board Radio to Sena SMH10 Headsets

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    I have an idear - HE WON'T

Phil as always, thanks for keeping us upto date, I am sure you have fired up the imagination of several Spyder Owners, I have learnt from your
    posting and the knowledge you share

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    That's exactly the idea Eddie. As I have watched your and other's postings and gotten ideas, I'm trying to stimulate the "I could do THAT" attitude. Lubricate the imagination. Trust me, this is all new territory for me and I'm making this stuff up as I go .

BTW Eddie- not coming over this year. The big event I come to each year is in Manchester next week and it conflicts too close with SpyderFest. Maybe next year, and I'll try to plan time to take a train and visit with you!!

Spyder Garage

Default Last minute add before Spyderfest

Spyder Garage

With all those screens... I really hope you find time to look at the road occasionally!

(Be safe)
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default More lights coming soon...

While at Spyderfest, 3 Stooges (Faran, Kevorama and Bobbie, my bride) got together and convinced me to help Harvey (Spyderpops) put his grand kids through college. I added the skid plate (aka kritter splitter) and also his creative wire mesh inserts. They are begging for some creative lighting to be added to accent them. I found some purple UV strips the right length from an odd sort of vendor and I hope to add them in the coming weeks. They will graze over the mesh to accent it much like the lights accent a curtain at a Broadway theater. All will be placed out of sight as much as possible so you only see the results of the light.

I'm also adding Jim's belt tensioner (aka SmoothSpyder) while the tupperware is off.

Pics will follow...
    Light Your World... Brighten The Corner Where You Are...
    Last edited by Phil; 06-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I always thought some black lights on a white Spyder would create an awesome effect at night. Make the bike itself all glowy.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Phil, I had considered the belt tensioner and asked Kevin at cowtown about it. He thought it was unnecessary. I know those lights will look awesome. Can't wait for pics. What obscure co. Did you use this time?
    Hanging with SpyderLady Linda and John out on the patio. Real nice weather this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    Phil, I had considered the belt tensioner and asked Kevin at cowtown about it. He thought it was unnecessary. I know those lights will look awesome. Can't wait for pics. What obscure co. Did you use this time?
    Hanging with SpyderLady Linda and John out on the patio. Real nice weather this week.
    Hey Kev- sorry man. Just saw this. OZNIUM is the company. I started to work on them this afternoon, but my body had another idea. Need to catch up sometime bro.

Spyder Garage

~~~~FINE TUNING GLORYDERS~~~~

I've watched several posts asking questions about GloRyders so I thought I'd show a couple of 'different' views of them and how to fine tune them a little. There are other posts here in Phil's Mods showing how to attach GloRyders to a 622 trailer if you're interested. I know 2-3 of us that have done the trailer successfully, but I'll say again here... Do it at your own risk.

Some have asked how the GloRyder is powered. There are 3AA batteries. There are 2 more under the circuit board which is really easy to remove. There is also a switch allowing you to operate the units ON 100% of the time (show) or only operate when it is dark and when there is movement (glo). Here's a close up of the unit-

I have a 2010 RT with 6 spokes. There was something bothering me about the non-uniformity of the way the spokes were lighting up. Here's how it looked---
    I was asked about the caps at Spyderfest. It is a design I did called Spyder Ichthus. Mark Lawson had the GloRyder folks cut a set for him and one for me. There is a price for it as you might expect, but they are great to work with if you want a custom design.

Anyway... the overall glo... Not bad, but to the eye, 2 of the spokes appeared more dim than the others. The LEDs on the GloRyder circuit board, as you can see in the first pic, can be nudged into alignment with the spokes by carefully pushing on the LEDs, thus bending the electrodes (wires) that connect to the circuit board. I'm pretty sure the GloRyder folks would say if you do this and break it, you will have voided the warranty. But since when has that stopped me . I used a small screwdriver and simply bent the LEDs so the hottest point of the light was aimed right down the middle of each spoke, like this---

I didn't get a 'final result' pic with the cap on, but I can now feel good that the light coverage looks even across the wheel. Here's another view after the alignment--

A small adjustment that made a huge difference to me.

Last edited by Phil; 05-29-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Nice tip on the GloRyders Phil! I would guess the original install position would be the best solution. Wish I had thought of it way back then.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Default SmoothSpyder added today

As you read this, remember that I am NOT a wrench guy. I wish I had Scotty and others of you here today as I did this mod. I made mistakes and was really uneasy as I did it. On to the mod.

As the instructions say, you CAN do this without removing any Tupperware, but I took the REMOVE EVERYTHING approach. The most critical part and the hardest and the one I was most nervous about is drilling the 2 holes in the frame. I wasn't nervous about putting holes in the frame. I was pretty sure I wouldn't get them in the right place. And I didn't. If I had LOOKED at this picture before I finished drilling and before I put the big aluminum foot peg piece ( what IS that thing called?) back on, I would have seen that I was wrong.

There is a hazard to putting the assembly on the RT without the foot peg piece in place. I made the holes about 1/16" too close to the outside of the bike, thus when I went to reassemble, the foot peg assembly ALMOST fit back in but not quite. I only have a Dremel and I did what I could with it.

But 4 tries later and using a pretty dull file, it finally fit. I took this right before I put the foot peg thing back on so you could see how the assembly looks. Very nice design. Very sturdy.

I followed the instructions on the tensioning of the roller and it came out spot on at 10lbs. Just enough to take out the wobble from the loose side of the long belt.

The installation instructions are correct, but for a non-wrench guy, a bit lacking. To Jim's credit, I likely should have had a professional do this one. BUT.... IT WORKS! As per the instructions, while Darth was up on the stands, I fired him up, put him in gear, went to 2nd gear, and rev'd to 5,000 then up to 6,500 RPM. and everything tracked perfectly and smoothly. Proof will be in the riding, but the engineering of it tells me that it will help. And the testimony of others is highly encouraging!

Now, while the panels are off...... More lights!
    Last edited by Phil; 06-09-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

How could you not put more lights on it!
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

I defer to you, Phil. Let me know how you like this product. I love this site and the folks that try to make this bike better. I don't have much of a belt vibration issue with mine, but I do notice it when the belt 'unloads' when in cruise mode on hills and declines. That's to be expected. Once Cowtown got my belt tensioned correctly, it's been vibration free.
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Once Cowtown got my belt tensioned correctly, it's been vibration free.
    oh how I long for a Cowtown close to me.

Spyder Garage

You could always do just the opposite of what folks up here do... you could get a dual residency with MO. as your 2nd home.
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

I defer to you, Phil. Let me know how you like this product. I love this site and the folks that try to make this bike better. I don't have much of a belt vibration issue with mine, but I do notice it when the belt 'unloads' when in cruise mode on hills and declines. That's to be expected. Once Cowtown got my belt tensioned correctly, it's been vibration free.
    Kev-
    I took Darth out last evening after hastily putting everything back together (a post on that later). I went up to 80+mph two times and W-O-W!!!! The only vibration I felt at all was when I REALLY gunned it in lower gears. I'm guessing that might be the motor mount issue that is on the early 2010s. But W-O-W was it smooth!!!

Spyder Garage

Based on your experience I might have to put one of those in my sights. Thanks for the post.

James Dean