Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil's Mods

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods UPDATE-- Bluetooth

I have had a number of IM requests for additional information on the Bluetooth mods shown here--
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...5&postcount=13

Today I updated the diagram to better reflect the actual way things ended up. And I added a couple of options you might consider if you want to BT your Spyder.

Not reflected on the diagram is the powering of everything. I tapped a switched +12vdc line near the back of the bike (near the battery) and brought that directly to a Lever Lockz(tm)-

The Lever Lockz acts as a junction for all of the audio +12v lines (red). I did the same for the ground. INITIALLY, all was good until I actually started the bike and ran it down the road. DUH... I had forgotten to check for 'noise' on the 12vdc and sure enough it is there. So I ordered about 4 of these-

These are $7 on Amazon. This past weekend I finally got around to installing one right at the 12vdc junction I described above, and another in line with an extra fuse block I added in the front of the bike, just for good measure. This time I tested after each step (BIG RULE TO ALWAYS FOLLOW ON ELECTRICAL WORK). Adding the first one eliminated a lot of the whine and sputter. Adding the second one, took it down much further. Some day, I'll add the other two at various points. You hear it as a whine in the helmet speakers that goes up and down with the RPM and also with speed to some extent.

The spark plugs, the data bus that runs all of the bike systems, the various sensors on the bike, ALL create electrical 'noise'. For the most part, it's negligible and doesn't bother anything at all. BUT, when you start unbalancing the system like I have, you run the risk of some of that noise getting back into audio systems, etc. Hence.... adding the electrical noise suppressors. The have 3 wires so they are REALLY easy to install- +12in, +12out, ground!

Along the way, I'll try to copy some of the pieces from the IM and email chats I've had with some of you and put them into an FAQ type format, here in this thread.
    Last edited by Phil; 05-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Phil excellent step by step documentation..

Spyder Garage

The additional lights look great as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth Helmet Audio Sample

Many of you know about the Bluetooth mod I did to Darth.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...5&postcount=13

I thought I'd give a sample of the audio from the perspective of the helmet. Here's the 12 second audio clip, then I'll explain how I captured it:
    http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/...lmetAudio2.mp4

I stuck my iPhone up into the helmet, by one of the speakers, and hit the record. Duh. That's why you hear some extraneous noise. I also want to make the point that the audio is really rather good and it's great stereo on all sources, FM, iPod, iPhone, etc. The clip does give the example of BT audio from the bike + the GPS announcing turns. As well, SIMULTANEOUSLY, I can get sound from the iPhone, like the 'ding' of incoming TXT, email, etc.
    Last edited by Phil; 05-27-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

WE HAVE UTOPIA!!!

I saw so many Utopia mods at SpyderFest, talked to happy owners and sat on a couple. I was sold. It came in yesterday an I'm riding on it today ( took the day off to mount it).

Like everyone said, the most scary part is taking a knife to the seat! YIKES!! But after you measure 3 times ya suck it up and cut.

The HARDEST part was aligning the threaded holes from the inside the seat bar with the holes in the external piece to get the bolts in. With help from a lunchtime visitor- GLRANGE (who is a member here but has yet to get his Spyder), we got the bolts in. 5 minutes later we were done!!

Taaaa Daaaaaa.....

This last pic shows the under seat bracket. You may need to flip it over for it to make sense

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil; 10-22-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

on a nice looking comfort mod.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Phil, what are you using for your seat cushions?
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    Phil, what are you using for your seat cushions?
    http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/
    REALLY comfy.

Anyone added a lumbar roll inside their Utopia?

Spyder Garage

Looks awesome Phil...hope your enjoying it!

For anyone contemplating getting the Utopia backrest...well all I can say is that it just doesn't kinda match the passenger backrest...it matches it perfectly! Its just a well thought out design and a very high quality product.
    I give it two thumbs up!

Spyder Garage

Default Couple more shots

Thought I'd share a couple more shots of the 'purple halo' on Darth.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

All I can say is "IMPRESSIVE".

Great Job, cannot tell the Police if they hit you "I did not see him in the dark"
    Modifying the RT to travel Canada.

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Phil,
    Great additions to a Great looking Spyder.
    Regards,
    Reese

Spyder Garage

Phil, did you enter the Spyder Customization Contest in Maggie Valley?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Phil, did you enter the Spyder Customization Contest in Maggie Valley?
    Nope. We're flying in due to schedules so I won't have Darth there to enter. PLUS.... I look at yours and others and you guys are so far ahead of my mods.... That's not a defeatist thing, it's a recognition of your quality quality!

My plan is to ryde to Cuba next year for sure and hopefilly next BRP event.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Nope. We're flying in due to schedules so I won't have Darth there to enter. PLUS.... I look at yours and others and you guys are so far ahead of my mods.... That's not a defeatist thing, it's a recognition of your quality quality!

My plan is to ryde to Cuba next year for sure and hopefilly next BRP event.
    I am looking forward to meeting you at this event, so please be sure to look me up. I am going to wear a flourescent orange shirt to the BBQ so, like my Spyder, I shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

I am looking forward to meeting you at this event, so please be sure to look me up. I am going to wear a flourescent orange shirt to the BBQ so, like my Spyder, I shouldn't be too hard to find.
    Will do!! Won't make the BBQ due to travel schedule. We'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn.

Spyder Garage

It was a real pleasure to meet you and your wife at the Owner's Event. I am happy that you were able to find me, and that my Spyder made you smile.

I hope you had an uneventful trip back home as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

It was a real pleasure to meet you and your wife at the Owner's Event. I am happy that you were able to find me, and that my Spyder made you smile.

I hope you had an uneventful trip back home as well.
    Likewise!! Since Bobbie & I flew in and out, ours was much less eventful than most that came. There is NOTHING like seeing your RYDE in person Michael. I'm STILL smilin

Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Backrest Mod

Nope. Not how to add a Utopia. That's here-- http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24907

This is a Mod TO the Utopia. I called Utopia after I installed mine to ask if they had ever done an adjustable lower lumbar support for one of their backrests. Apparently I'm the first to ask (story of my life by the way). So I set out to figure a way to make one.

You know the 'forest and the trees' thing? I was walking through WallyWorld with my bride and told her I was going to wander into hardware. We met up and she saw the furrow in my brow. "What are you looking for" she asked. I proceeded to tell her about the mod I wanted to do. I HAD picked up a small blood pressure cuff, but even it was too big, but she got the idea. "Why not use a bicycle inner tube and just cut it to size?" I did a bee line for the bicycle aisle and bought two of these (reason is later):

(crappy photo sorry)

I proceeded to chop and seal and mess with it and this was the prototype I made:

It really is a bad job, and honestly it leaks... slowly. I used several different types of sealant folded over the ends, and even bent the aluminum angles to try to cap off the ends. I used whatever I had around the shop
    NOTE: I'm looking for better ideas on how to seal the tube so PLEASE send them along...... Hence the reason I bought a second tube

I zipped open the cover (on the bottom of the seat) and tucked the air bladder into the seat:

I aired it up (after closing the zipper as far as I could) and folded the valve into a convenient position:

And here are 2 views of the results:

I took it out for a test run and WOW!!!! I love the extra support in my lower back. I MAY just carve some extra hard foam and slip in there if I can't get a good seal on the tube, BUT I'd really like to be able to adjust it with a pump every-so-often.

Who knows... maybe Utopia will catch the idea and make it an option?!
    Last edited by Phil; 06-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Man, I want to come to your house and play!!!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Man, I want to come to your house and play!!!
    Bring it on my brother!! We have plenty of room for guests.

Spyder Garage

Phil,

U want to seal the cut ends with a "hot" patch like they used to do in the olden days. Some tire shops still do them.

Cougar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Phil,

U want to seal the cut ends with a "hot" patch like they used to do in the olden days. Some tire shops still do them.

Cougar
    Excellent. I'll ask around. Thanks much Cougar.

Spyder Garage

when u do the hot patch make sure to burn the glue
    i know it sounds fubared but it will seal better
    and thanks im going to try it

Spyder Garage

I'm almost an Elka fan. I HAVE my Elka shocks but I've had a mod done before installing ::

The springs are powder coated with satin chrome. Should make the purple lights sparkle.
    Installed pics to follow.

Last edited by Phil; 10-22-2011 at 10:42 AM.