Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil's Mods

Spyder Garage

never hear the words ..."I didn't see him"
    i'd give up my kitchen for that garage ...
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Red face

BUT... I have to fly in without the Spyder due to my tight schedule. UNLESS there is a group of bikes being shipped up there from Texas and mine could be added to the group for a 'reasonable' fee. But, I'm just coming off one long trip then have a commitment on that Saturday.
    pb[/QUOTE]

Say it ain't so, Joe..... er Phil!!! I so want to see your Masterpiece in person Hmmmmmm, maybe that'll give Teddy & I another road-trip Destination for the future

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

The pictures and comments are very informative. Alot of time and hard work went into this project. You need to train a tech and establish this as a business.
    Regards,
    Reese

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    The pictures and comments are very informative. Alot of time and hard work went into this project. You need to train a tech and establish this as a business.
    Regards,
    Reese
    HA! And give up the day job to do it?! Nope. That one is TOO much fun.

When it warms Reese, we'll meet at Heartland Ham and you can play with it! Thanks for the encouragement guys....

While I'm here, here's a pretty comprehnsive list of my mods:
    Phils Spyder Mods
    ======================
    Additional front fuse panel
    Mud Flap Lights
    BrightSides front and rear
    Kewlmetal Run-Turn-Brake light
    Double Play Unit
    12vdc dash convenience outlet
    AEM Voltage Meter
    TricLed TricFenderz - Amber / Red
    Front DayRunners
    RTGloRyder
    Custom Various Stingerz LED sticks (Purple)
    Black Magic Remote LED Control
    DRL Cornering Lights with TDR control
    Puddle Lights & switch
    Master Accessory Power Switch & relay
    LED Licenseplate light
    LED Frunk Surround
    LED Fendertip lights
    LED Seatglow light
    LED Trunk lights
    LED Glove Box light
    LED Under Dash light
    Dimmers for Dash & TricFenderz lights
    ~~new 07/23/11~~
    HID Headlights
    LEDs under rear fender

-------------------------------
    Bluetooth Receivers
    Bluetooth Transmitter
    4 Channel Audio Mixer
    ---------------------------
    Extra WAGO LeverNuts
    Billet Axel Covers Front end Dressup Kit
    Green Filter
    Swaybar
    Elka Shocks (7/2011)
    Utopia Backrest (6/2011)
    Fog HIDs
    Gizmo Mount Bracket
    Küryakyn Widow Pegs
    BRP Chrome Mirror Accents
    Last edited by Phil; 08-01-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added more mods

Spyder Garage

Nice work Phil. . I may have to ride mine up there so we can put these mods on my RT...we have to keep you from getting board...

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods

Saw Adam at Broadway today and he said they got a shipment of 2011 RT's in on Thursday. Sevice was assembling a unit this afternoon. Brought the Spyder home after having a steering sensor repaired.
    Regards,
    Reese

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harddrive View Post
    Nice work Phil. . I may have to ride mine up there so we can put these mods on my RT...we have to keep you from getting board...
    Come on up!! But I'm far from board . Now on to my big project... a 35,000 sqft green office building for our company, complete with all LED computer controlled lighting, motorized shades, uuber technology to save energy, geothermal wells, the works! But seriously, let Reese and I know if you're wanting to come and we'll host you.

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    Saw Adam at Broadway today and he said they got a shipment of 2011 RT's in on Thursday. Sevice was assembling a unit this afternoon. Brought the Spyder home after having a steering sensor repaired.
    Regards,
    Reese
    Saw a grey one driving by. I'll have to stop in.

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone / TomTom Mount

I had a few PMs asking what I used.
    First is the Kewlmetal Gizmo Mount. VERY solid simple device. I then wanted a mount that would make it easy to swap my TomTom with my iPhone. As of now, I'm not sure which device will spend the most time on the bars so I wanted each to be equally easy. I found this guy:

From Amazon--- GN032+RPH+TO6: Motorcycle Mount TomTom GO 520/530, 720/730, 920/930

I obviously didn't want the bicycle handlebar mount method, so off to the grinder and files I went. This shows how it all came out:

I did need to drill 2 holes in the Gizmo and the screws I used are a bit long, but until I'm 110% sure I like it, it's good enough. I brought both a TomTom and iPhone cable out through the little knockout under the Gizmo mount. I filed a notch in the plastic knockout to make it a bit neater. Both cables are then plugged into a 12v outlet to USB charger adapter that is tucked up into that front cavern. Swapping RAM mounts is VERY easy. It takes about 3 twists of the wrist to loosen and whala:

Here's the way it looks from the driver:

It appears to be rock sturdy for normal driving.
    Last edited by Phil; 02-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Addemdum #1

Thanks again for all the positive comments!

On another thread, someone was saying how the Spyder has invigorated his marriage (my words). His wife is excited about ryding. This weekend was SPECTACULAR weather here in North East Texas and my bride was bugging me for us to take a ryde! She was bugging ME!!! You have no idea how good that makes me feel. Anyway.... back to the mods...

If you haven't done the sway bar mod- DO IT NOW!!! It's not a cheap mod, but the change in the ride is AWESOME! We did about 100miles on our Saturday ryde and I was SO much more relaxed. As trucks would go by me on 2 lane roads and as breezes blew, I did not buffet around like I did with the stock sway bar. It made the ride smooth.

I DID learn that I have some electrical work to do. All of my testing with the Bluetooth mod and the mixer was done with the engine off. WOOPS! I definitely have a whine in my helmet and I know right where it's coming from. Fortunately I thought ahead and already have powerline conditioning kits (should only take one) on my work bench. I REALLY meant to put them on, but said ehhhh, I'll try it without. Nope! I got tickled... my TomTom voice is set to a British gal. Several times, it mixed with the FM radio and the whine and she sounded like she had smoked a carton of Luckys a day for years!!

All in all- everything was wonderful.
    Last edited by Phil; 02-14-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

great lighting.........the space shuttle will probably be able to track you at night. It's a shame that you can't bring it to Spyderfest....I'm sure everyone would love to see it!

Spyder Garage

I like the mods. Good work. But isn't the front facing /purple (looks blue-ish) lights illegal when used on the streets?
    Most vehicle light laws have wording about absolutely no blue lights.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    I like the mods. Good work. But isn't the front facing /purple (looks blue-ish) lights illegal when used on the streets?
    Most vehicle light laws have wording about absolutely no blue lights.
    I've certainly heard that about blue lights, hence one of the reasons I chose purple. Legalities aside, I could argue that they are not 'hey I'm an emergency vehicle with blue flashing lights, get out of my way' type lights. They are truly accent lights. I've had 2-3 police near me at lights and have not, so far, had anyone say anything.
    pb

Spyder Garage

Nice work for sure!

On the audio setup, my only concern is the various bluetooth stuff getting 'confused'.

Any reason you didn't just hardwire the iphone and tomtom?

I used the MixIt sound mixer when I did mine.. not using BT output--- yet-- but I have a Sony unit I can use.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23238

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nice work for sure!

On the audio setup, my only concern is the various Bluetooth stuff getting 'confused'.

Any reason you didn't just hardwire the iPhone and tomtom?

I used the MixIt sound mixer when I did mine.. not using BT output--- yet-- but I have a Sony unit I can use.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23238
    Thanks for the compliment!
    Sorry I hadn't seen your work before I did mine! Very creative Mr..... uhhh... Fly.
    Confusion- hummmm so far... not a bit of confusion. I rode to work today. I had the FM playing and iPhone of the handlebars. I heard an email ding in the helmet during a really neat song. At a light, I opened the email app and saw that I had an appointment appear. Thus, no stop for Starbucks! Worked great. So far everything has registered perfectly when the power comes on.

Hardwire- That definitely was on the table. I wanted to be able to have both work at the same time so I could have hard wired them to the mixer. As well, I really only wanted to have one thing on the handlebars at a time. So.. with the BT, when the TomTom is on the bars and the phone in the pocket, it all still works. AND... I have to believe there will be other Bluetooth things in the future. And... ok.. it was fun to do it this way!

Oh... last, I definitely didn't want a wired helmet.
    Last edited by Phil; 03-02-2011 at 01:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Garage Update

I had several ask about and comment on my garage. I just finished all the wall stuff above the cabinets. Here are two views:

Spyder Garage

Very nice garage indeed.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Oooh very nice garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I had several ask about and comment on my garage. I just finished all the wall stuff above the cabinets. Here are two views:

Hi Phil I'm new to this forum but have a neighbor that has been on here for a while.
    I've read some of your post and you've done a super fine job with it and looks like you have it down pat.

He was tellin me about you takin a bluetooth device and hookin it up to the speaker wires, then you can get a non bluetooth radio to bluetooth into your headset and bluetooth a Iphone into a Zumo 550 and bluetooth it to your bluetooth headset.
    He was saying something about you had to turn the unit that goes in back of the speakers on and off and it has to be charged.
    I'm about 200 miles south of you and would like your help to hookup this on my bike.
    Have you got it so the bluetooth set that hooks to the speakers will charge itself off the bikes power.
    Fixin to get a Sena bluetooth headset.

Thanks.
    cardboard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cardboard View Post
    Hi Phil I'm new to this forum but have a neighbor that has been on here for a while.
    I've read some of your post and you've done a super fine job with it and looks like you have it down pat.

He was tellin me about you takin a bluetooth device and hookin it up to the speaker wires, then you can get a non bluetooth radio to bluetooth into your headset and bluetooth a Iphone into a Zumo 550 and bluetooth it to your bluetooth headset.
    He was saying something about you had to turn the unit that goes in back of the speakers on and off and it has to be charged.
    I'm about 200 miles south of you and would like your help to hookup this on my bike.
    Have you got it so the bluetooth set that hooks to the speakers will charge itself off the bikes power.
    Fixin to get a Sena bluetooth headset.

Thanks.
    cardboard
    Hey Cardboard- First... I've not found a Bluetooth transmitter that can be popwered from the bike. Then again, I've not looked again for quite awhile. It's only a minior inconvenience. I WOULD change it out if there was one to be found

200 miles.... I'm traveling most of April. When we get into May, I might like a 200mile ride to come see and help! PM or email me along the way and we'll see if we can setup a time and place.

Spyder Garage

Hey Cardboard- First... I've not found a Bluetooth transmitter that can be popwered from the bike. Then again, I've not looked again for quite awhile. It's only a minior inconvenience. I WOULD change it out if there was one to be found

200 miles.... I'm traveling most of April. When we get into May, I might like a 200mile ride to come see and help! PM or email me along the way and we'll see if we can setup a time and place.
    Shot you a PM
    Hope you got it.
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Just got the BlueBridge BT Transmitter in. It powers from USB rather than the recharge that the Sony wants. I'll play with it next week after SpyderFest then report.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default GloRyders

I was posting in another thread and realized that I had not put these pics on (notes at the bottom):

The pis look a bit blue, but the light is actually purple. I have loads of purple highlights on Darth and this adds so much punch! The dove is a custom engraving that I had done. I'm not sure the guy that did it want's me to say that he did them because it ended up being a HUGE pain for him!! I'll let him post if he wants to

Next project is adding loads of Stingerz from Custom Dynamics. Taking the hint from this guy I saw at SpyderFest---

I'm doing the same, but in purple and NOT quite as extensive . Pics to follow when I get it done!
    Last edited by Phil; 10-22-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

WILL THE MADNESS EVER END ??!! I added the lights around the frunk today. I love the way the purple glow shines on the headlight and fog light chrome.

Last edited by Phil; 05-16-2011 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Better images

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

WILL THE MADNESS EVER END ??!! I added the lights around the frunk today. I love the way the purple glow shines on the headlight and fog light chrome.
    Very cool stuff Phil!

I am sitting here looking at my Brightsides and the HWT brake light and planning to install tomorrow if it rains (highly likely here in MO...) I am quite certain mine won't be nearly as impressive as what you have put together though!

Excellent work!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Very cool stuff Phil!

I am sitting here looking at my Brightsides and the HWT brake light and planning to install tomorrow if it rains (highly likely here in MO...) I am quite certain mine won't be nearly as impressive as what you have put together though!

Excellent work!
    Go for it SteveMac!! I know it will look great. Be sure to post pics!