Thread: Phil's Mods

Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Phil's Mods UPDATE-- Bluetooth

I have had a number of IM requests for additional information on the Bluetooth mods shown here--
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...5&postcount=13

Today I updated the diagram to better reflect the actual way things ended up. And I added a couple of options you might consider if you want to BT your Spyder.

Not reflected on the diagram is the powering of everything. I tapped a switched +12vdc line near the back of the bike (near the battery) and brought that directly to a Lever Lockz(tm)-

The Lever Lockz acts as a junction for all of the audio +12v lines (red). I did the same for the ground. INITIALLY, all was good until I actually started the bike and ran it down the road. DUH... I had forgotten to check for 'noise' on the 12vdc and sure enough it is there. So I ordered about 4 of these-

These are $7 on Amazon. This past weekend I finally got around to installing one right at the 12vdc junction I described above, and another in line with an extra fuse block I added in the front of the bike, just for good measure. This time I tested after each step (BIG RULE TO ALWAYS FOLLOW ON ELECTRICAL WORK). Adding the first one eliminated a lot of the whine and sputter. Adding the second one, took it down much further. Some day, I'll add the other two at various points. You hear it as a whine in the helmet speakers that goes up and down with the RPM and also with speed to some extent.

The spark plugs, the data bus that runs all of the bike systems, the various sensors on the bike, ALL create electrical 'noise'. For the most part, it's negligible and doesn't bother anything at all. BUT, when you start unbalancing the system like I have, you run the risk of some of that noise getting back into audio systems, etc. Hence.... adding the electrical noise suppressors. The have 3 wires so they are REALLY easy to install- +12in, +12out, ground!

Along the way, I'll try to copy some of the pieces from the IM and email chats I've had with some of you and put them into an FAQ type format, here in this thread.
    Last edited by Phil; 05-19-2011 at 11:45 AM.