View Poll Results: thumbs up/down on RT purchase

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am ecstatic about my upgrade from RS to RT

21 28.38%
  • Thumbs up, the RT is my first ryde

31 41.89%
  • So what's all the hub-bub about? Its just another 3 wheeler.

7 9.46%
  • Thumbs down. Bad decision.

9 12.16%
  • I wish the Holy 5 RT Ambassadors can just stuff it.

9 12.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am seriously

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    One other comment... Once my wife rode on the RS she never wanted to be a passenger on it ever again.. Hence the reason we got the RT...
    I hear ya. This is what my wife was telling me. Don't get me wrong, I loved the GS, we were just not cut out for riding it very far in a day. 2 300 mile trips sealed that for my wife. We are able to listen to music and talk to each other with our helmets, so the stereo was not a big deal...but it is awesome. I am just waiting to break away from work to go ride the RT...

My buddies were tring to get me to get a Tri-glide becuase it is a "Harley", but I like the look and how the Spyder handles better...

Spyder Garage

And for the three who polled that the Holy 5 RT Ambassadors should stuff it, it may be a good idea for you to take time to see what the 5 have done for the RT. Yes, the RTs were on a "loan" basis, but all the gas, maintenance, etc., was out-of-pocket for them. Besides, they were expected to write reports, do videos, etc., and report to BRP...all out-of-pocket. Would you have done it if asked? I would guess the costs per Ambassadors was near $10,000.
    Besides all that they rode the RTs with a lot of faith. These models were pre-production models...anything could and did go wrong at anytime. Plastics fell off, codes popped up, switch pieces fell off. For the last year the Ambassadors have pointed out to BRP what was and was not working and BRP listened. Today we have better RTs because of them, and I would guess that a lot was also incorporated in the RS models as well.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    And for the three who polled that the Holy 5 RT Ambassadors should stuff it, it may be a good idea for you to take time to see what the 5 have done for the RT. Yes, the RTs were on a "loan" basis, but all the gas, maintenance, etc., was out-of-pocket for them. Besides, they were expected to write reports, do videos, etc., and report to BRP...all out-of-pocket. Would you have done it if asked? I would guess the costs per Ambassadors was near $10,000.
    Besides all that they rode the RTs with a lot of faith. These models were pre-production models...anything could and did go wrong at anytime. Plastics fell off, codes popped up, switch pieces fell off. For the last year the Ambassadors have pointed out to BRP what was and was not working and BRP listened. Today we have better RTs because of them, and I would guess that a lot was also incorporated in the RS models as well.
    It's okay Bro, I wasn't sure what the question meant so I voted to stuff it. I did find that a bit strange to add to the poll but I rather know how someone really feels then to have to guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Today we have better RTs because of them, and I would guess that a lot was also incorporated in the RS models as well.

And, for that I thank them. Thank you.

Believe it or not I was at the dealer a few months back having maintenance done on my spyder. Someone wanted to take the RS for a ride to see if he liked it. I just made a comment that he might like the RT better. He took the RS out and said he couldn't get comfortable and didn't bother with the RT. That's too bad b/c the RT would have been better for him.

So, when I do make my comments I am making them based on how I feel the RS suits me; not a put down to the RT or their owners.

Oh, by the way, I had no idea what was meant by the RT 5. Thanks for explaining that. I thought someone made a mistake and meant RT S.

Spyder Garage

Post Say What?

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I don't feel this should have been in the poll it has nothing to do with the question. As far as an wanting an RT maybe down the road idk. Their is nothing on the rt that i can't put on my rs. saddlebags,ipod,scala,air shock,comfort seat anyway you get the picture. If the rt was out when i bought it might be a different story.

Roger

Spyder Garage

That's cool. The waters have cleared. In the end, it's just the ride, the smell, the wind, the cold, the love.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    OK there's the poll. It is only for present RT owners since I know most RS owners would love to have the RT anyway.

Absolutely wrong! I love my RS. I would say comparing the two is like comparing an sveltd athlete to an incredibly obese couch potato. If I want to be able to run a marathon and play sports, it's better to be an athlete. However, if you're more concerned with winning an eating contest, it's probably better if you're in the other demographic. That's my politically incorrect way of making this point: Both types have their purpose, and as long as the owner bought the right one for their purpose in the first place, I'm sure they are happy with their model.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

I purchased the RTS so my wife could ryde comfortably with me on long runs. She has a fear of ryding on two wheelers. If she didn't want to ryde at all, I would have purchased a two wheeler. We love our RTS, it's what works for us.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think the comparison of a svelte athlete and obese couch potato is fair or accurate. The RS is a sport bike and the RT a touring bike. I've had both and the RS while fun to ride for short distances is not as comfortable for me to ride as the RT. I am a tall and not obese woman and I am glad that I have the RT.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAnn View Post
    I don't think the comparison of a svelte athlete and obese couch potato is fair or accurate. The RS is a sport bike and the RT a touring bike. I've had both and the RS while fun to ride for short distances is not as comfortable for me to ride as the RT. I am a tall and not obese woman and I am glad that I have the RT.

I'm a obese couch potato because the RT is a better two-up machine . Whats with that ?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

CanAnn and Fast Fraser,

I think you both fixated on the wrong part of my post. I was making two points, that I guess I'll spell out much more explicitly before I hurt anyone's feelings. The first is my opinion of the dimensions. The RT looks much bigger and somewhat portly compared to the RS; again only my opinion. I'm sure you both have your spyders for a reason, and whatever that reason is, it does a good job satisfying your needs. The RT and RS both have different attributes and the post I was responding two was incredibly oversimplified. (See my other post for the quote.)

If you didn't like my post, I'm sorry, but take it for what it's worth. It's an opinion. I don't know either one of you, and I haven't polled owners of each type machine to determine any correlation between modern obesity standards and spyder preference. However, I know my opinion of the appearance the RT. It's a bit hefty looking.
    Old Spyder Mods:
    No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, Evoluzione O2 Mod, DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels and Pulley, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Evoluzione Swaybar, RT Shocks/Springs, Toyo R1R, Odyssey Battery, Lowered Shock Mount, SFB Floorboards, Fenderless w/ Custom License Bracket.

Spyder Garage

One of each works well for us!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I made many mods to my 2009 SE5 such as handelbar risers and Corbin seats., tour bags etc. Still the riding posture was not for very long rides in my opinion.

I considered trading my RS for an RT last June as I always wanted a touring bike. I took an RT for a test ride at my dealership and was impressed. It just happened that my dealer also ownes a Harley dealership across the street and was having one of those outdoor BBQ's that same day and was offering HD test rides. I got on a Tri Glide Ultra Classic and took it for a ride. I simply fell in love with that machine and ended buying it and keeping my beloved Spyder RS as well. Now I think I have the best of all the worlds. Unfortunately right now they both sit in a very cold garage in icy cold snowy Michigan.
    Last edited by mvengineer; 12-13-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    One of each works well for us!
    Lucky
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SSG Bean View Post
    CanAnn and Fast Fraser,

I think you both fixated on the wrong part of my post. I was making two points, that I guess I'll spell out much more explicitly before I hurt anyone's feelings. The first is my opinion of the dimensions. The RT looks much bigger and somewhat portly compared to the RS; again only my opinion. I'm sure you both have your spyders for a reason, and whatever that reason is, it does a good job satisfying your needs. The RT and RS both have different attributes and the post I was responding two was incredibly oversimplified. (See my other post for the quote.)

If you didn't like my post, I'm sorry, but take it for what it's worth. It's an opinion. I don't know either one of you, and I haven't polled owners of each type machine to determine any correlation between modern obesity standards and spyder preference. However, I know my opinion of the appearance the RT. It's a bit hefty looking.
    No need to apologize for your opinion. When I first saw the RT unveiled on the BRP site I thought it looked like a pig up front. But like my mom always said, "She has a great personality" meaning....

I purposely left out the option of GS/RS owners not wanting to own the RT because I'm more interested in upgrading. If there was anyway of owning both, I'd do it in a heartbeat. And believe me, it will be very hard to part with the GS. To make matters worse, my youngest daughter is getting married in about 2 weeks so I'm going to be an emotional mess this Christmas.

PS: She wanted my bike for a wedding gift. Go buy your own I said.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default love the dual purpose GS

The wife and I have toured over 8,000 miles all over the NW and into BC/Alberta and back. Both of us are comfortable when we tour and with the addition of saddlebags and a tail bag we have plenty of storage. Yes, I have installed other mods to make it comfortable and that is part of the fun. The best part is when I ride solo and travel with my 3 sons who ride sport bikes I can modify the spyder and shed some weight. As for amenities I just added a thermostat for my Gerbing heated jacket. The sound system is in my helmet and the cruise control is at my fingertips along with my Garmin. Different strokes for different folks!
    When life throws you a curve - aim for the apex.

Spyder Garage

I think if you are going to go 2 up, the RT might be a better choice. But the performance hit is something I don't think I could live with. I mean give up 14 for an RT? No way! That's why 1Spydercat1 and I both ride RS models. But again, that's just the way we roll.

For those who go 2 up, the RT looks pretty luxurious. Dudley and his lady did what, 10,000 miles? That is impessive and a job for an RT. It's all what you are into. Kath and I could do that 10K, and we will be side by side, tracking in different formations, playing with each other on the road and havin a blast. Everyone has different ideas of how they want to go. I see merit in both models. But for us, it's RS baby!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    I think if you are going to go 2 up, the RT might be a better choice. But the performance hit is something I don't think I could live with. I mean give up 14 for an RT? No way! That's why 1Spydercat1 and I both ride RS models. But again, that's just the way we roll.

For those who go 2 up, the RT looks pretty luxurious. Dudley and his lady did what, 10,000 miles? That is impessive and a job for an RT. It's all what you are into. Kath and I could do that 10K, and we will be side by side, tracking in different formations, playing with each other on the road and havin a blast. Everyone has different ideas of how they want to go. I see merit in both models. But for us, it's RS baby!
    99% of the time I will be solo and I love ryding hard (but safe). But I want to make sure my wife has maximum comfort to enjoy the trip. After all, there's nothing to do back there which perhaps is another subject. (Wouldn't it be nifty to have a clear pocket on the back of the drivers jacket so the passenger can navigate, play crosswords, sodoku, movies, etc? )

I really want the bike with her in mind. But there's some selfish motive I admit: My bike was the first Spyder in my town. Now there are at least 6 others but I only know one owner. Now I can have the first RT!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

No need to apologize for your opinion. When I first saw the RT unveiled on the BRP site I thought it looked like a pig up front. But like my mom always said, "She has a great personality" meaning....

I'm certainly not opologizing for my opinion. Everyone is entitled to have one of their own. I am sorry that some didn't read my post carefully enough to understand my thoughts were in regards to the appearance of the RT, not about the riders. I guess I'll have to spell everything out in crayon from now on.
    Old Spyder Mods:

Spyder Garage

So D-Spyder, are you looking at a 2011 model? What color? I have to say, the 2011s look pretty good! But we are keeping our RS models. Kathy fell in love with her RS-S and I go way too hard for an RT. And I have to admint, I have become pretty attached to 14 as well!

It may well be that in a few years time I may go to 2 wheels. Something along the Sport-Tour line, and there are some great choices in this class. I've kinda been drooling over the new Triumph Sprint GT. Or the Honda VFR. Oh, the Honda VFR!!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Well guys and gals, I am now the new owner of a non-bouncing silver 2010 RT audio. This is an incredible machine! But I will miss my GS. I wish she could come home sometimes for a visit. The difference is like night and day and there's nothing wrong with AM/PM. The Spyder GS/RS/RT's are incredible!
    Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users Ken5517 / Wish Again's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well guys and gals, I am now the new owner of a non-bouncing silver 2010 RT audio. This is an incredible machine! But I will miss my GS. I wish she could come home sometimes for a visit. The difference is like night and day and there's nothing wrong with AM/PM. The Spyder GS/RS/RT's are incredible!
    Congrats on your new RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    I'll stay with the RS until something sportier is coming out.
    Maybe like a 'Busa with an outrigger...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Congratulations, Brian. Kjen and I wish you and Joy many happy rides of smiles and long miles.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No doubt that your GS is gonna miss you too...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black