Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of a new 2008....

After much thread watching, and navel gazing (don't ask ) I'm think I'm going to be talking to my local dealer between Christmas and New Year about a new 2008 RS they have in stock. Prices aren't shown on their web site, so I'm not sure what kind of discounts they are going to offer. They show both SM and SE as in stock... Aside from the DPS recall and making sure all the software updates have been done are there any other areas of concern that I should be aware of that have been subsequently remedied on later models?

Thanks for your input!

Rub

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rub View Post
    After much thread watching, and navel gazing (don't ask ) I'm think I'm going to be talking to my local dealer between Christmas and New Year about a new 2008 RS they have in stock. Prices aren't shown on their web site, so I'm not sure what kind of discounts they are going to offer. They show both SM and SE as in stock... Aside from the DPS recall and making sure all the software updates have been done are there any other areas of concern that I should be aware of that have been subsequently remedied on later models?

Thanks for your input!

Rub
    If the price was good, and it should be, I'd go for it. But you might want to check their actual inventory. The web site info may be old. Do dealers still have 2008's in stock?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow.. a new 2008? Highly unlikely. I bought a new 08 in April of 09 and it was the only 08 in western NC.

I can see 09's being out there still, though probably not many. I picked up my 08 for about $2500 cheaper than the 09 at the time. You are 8 months deeper into this model year than I was when I took mine home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the Spyder is new, be sure to check on the availability of Best or Best Plus Warrantee protection at time of purchase, when it is cheaper. BTW, if the local dealer is Greater Vancouver Powersports, I bought my Spyder and warrantee there 2 years ago and have received excellent service since.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    BTW, if the local dealer is Greater Vancouver Powersports, I bought my Spyder and warrantee there 2 years ago and have received excellent service since.
    Yes, that is the place... They've treated me extremely well as a potential customer. Great advice about the extended warranty.

Even if an '08 isn't available I'm getting very close to pulling out my wallet - way too many stories of road trips and rallies that are giving me 'itchy feet'.

Rub

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm... Make sure that all recalls are in order before you name your price. An '08 model? If he wants your business he'll probably give you some extra perks as well as a low number. Good luck!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Hmmm... Make sure that all recalls are in order before you name your price. An '08 model? If he wants your business he'll probably give you some extra perks as well as a low number. Good luck!!
    I just find it hard to believe that new 2008's are still sitting around. I hope it goes well but my feeling is they just have not updated their web site. I see that a lot.

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking there is a typo and they really have 2009 RS.

2008 models were called GS - not RS.

If it was an 09 I wouldn't be too worried -- an 08 --- you would want to check warranty and recall info.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

If it was an 09 I wouldn't be too worried -- an 08 --- you would want to check warranty and recall info.
    I'd be surprised if they could sell an 08 without bringing it up to date with everything. Legally, anyway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Kelly Blue Book

Check out KBB.com for pricing. These Spyders are a blast to ride and if you buy it, get ready to be a Rock Star! (:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Actually it was just me who called it an RS... the web site only states Spyder Roadster. They list '08's, '10's and 11's. Last spring they said they had some '08's still in crates...

A quick search found 5 other Canadian dealers listing '08's as well....

I know this is apples and oranges but judging by the number of '08 motorcycles Honda Canada has at fire sale prices, it wouldn't surprise me that there are '08 Spyders around.

Rub

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on finding one at what should be a great price! welcome
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Let us know what you get and we do like pics .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are going to have to perform the recalls and updates, along with honoring the warranty anyways for 2 years whether it's a new '08 or '11. There may still be '08's left, here in AZ they were still available in July, but I haven't looked sine then. I would base the offer near the KBB because that's all it will be worth once you sign on the line and it doesn't mean you will be able to sell it for that if you need to. There are already used ones out there with all different miles and all different accessories/riding gear/customization. They may be wanting the same or less than what you need to sell yours for and they have accessories, riding gear, custom body or paint or ???. They have the better value in a way.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

If you find one, look for any BRP promotions still available for 2008s, too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you find one, look for any BRP promotions still available for 2008s, too.
    Good point! When I bought my 2008 Spyder, Canadian buyers were allowed one more year of free warrantee coverage (total of 3 years), I believe because of higher Canadian prices. Then you can purchase 2 more years, if desired.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate all the feedback. I'll be updating this as soon as I can... I'm in camp at work till Christmas, then I get 'paroled' for a couple of weeks. . I'm really looking forward to going back to BC to be with friends and family!!!

Rub