Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This particular scam is all over Craigslist, with a variety of underlying products.

Spyder Garage

Default Beware of this add

Saw this same ad, but the location was Los Angeles, Ca.
    Thanks,
    Reese

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've seen this kind of thing dozens of times. Easiest way to call their bluff is to tell them you have family near the city listed and you'll just have them stop by with CASH and pick the bike up. I mean-- who wouldn't want CASH?

When they tell you it's actually in some other city (and they WILL tell you this) -- tell them you have another relative there!
    Bluff them with names also...
    "My cousin Jimmy,or my Aunt Barbara" It'll drive them nutz if you can keep up with them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hit the lottery in Canada!!!! That Spyder will be mine as soon as the money arrives!!!

Spyder Garage

Default SCAM FOR SURE

CRAIGS LIST IS FULL OF THEM................................
    SPYDRRR

Spyder Garage

Definately a scam on the bike--all the tell tale warning signs. Are you other guys trying to scare me about the money I got coming from Nigeria? They were such nice people---Im just waiting for my bank account information to clear with them.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I was selling my motorcoach on RV Trader and got an email from a scammer. He went so far as to send me a certified check for $10,000 as a down payment. I smelled a rat and told my banker that I thought the certified check and buyer were trying to con me. The banker said he would watch for the check to clear and to not do anything for about thirty days.

Within a week, of the check being deposited, the scammer called and said he had a transport company coming to look at my motorcoach and he asked me to give the transporter a check for five thousand dollars for them to pick the coach up and he would pay me back when he closed on the sale. I said not until his certified check cleared through my bank.

Well, guess what... big surprise! I told him I would call him back when his check actually cleared the bank...The check bounced and was taken back out of my account. I called the scammer back and told him to meet me at a local Starbucks to pick up the $5,000 cash.

Of course, I did not show up. I don't know if he did show or not. If he did show up... he got conned. I never got another call or email back from him.

Sold the motorcoach the next week to a real cash buyer. The legitimate buyer wire transferred the money into my bank and my bank called to let me know he had transferred the cash. Any time you feel like you are being conned, you probably are.

Trust your instincts and never turn over a vehicle, motorcycle until you have real cash in hand or a legitimate wire transfer into your bank account. Certified checks are now a pretty common document that scammers use.
    Happy Owner * 2013 RT Limited, 2009 RS SE-5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ok, I will call him a crook for you
    Thanks for pointing this crook out to us

Spyder Garage

I know a guy who bought a 1800 Gold Wing at a good price. Several offered to look at it first, but the price was below book and time was short. Excellent condistion, of course.
    Only a minor problem when it was received. It looked like last person to shine it up, used a very coarse steel wool and a buffer. Paint and chrome.

I did not consider it a good deal at all. I can not print the guy who bought it said.

Old Man Zues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Just goes to show that swamp land still sells!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimAlpha View Post
    I was selling my motorcoach on RV Trader and got an email from a scammer. He went so far as to send me a certified check for $10,000 as a down payment. I smelled a rat and told my banker that I thought the certified check and buyer were trying to con me. The banker said he would watch for the check to clear and to not do anything for about thirty days.

Within a week, of the check being deposited, the scammer called and said he had a transport company coming to look at my motorcoach and he asked me to give the transporter a check for five thousand dollars for them to pick the coach up and he would pay me back when he closed on the sale. I said not until his certified check cleared through my bank.

Well, guess what... big surprise! I told him I would call him back when his check actually cleared the bank...The check bounced and was taken back out of my account. I called the scammer back and told him to meet me at a local Starbucks to pick up the $5,000 cash.

Of course, I did not show up. I don't know if he did show or not. If he did show up... he got conned. I never got another call or email back from him.

Sold the motorcoach the next week to a real cash buyer. The legitimate buyer wire transferred the money into my bank and my bank called to let me know he had transferred the cash. Any time you feel like you are being conned, you probably are.

Trust your instincts and never turn over a vehicle, motorcycle until you have real cash in hand or a legitimate wire transfer into your bank account. Certified checks are now a pretty common document that scammers use.

Yup---- and certified checks CAN and DO bounce !

The only thing as good as cash--- is CASH.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yup---- and certified checks CAN and DO bounce !

The only thing as good as cash--- is CASH.
    I'm not sure about that. Even cash may not be cash these days. Bank wire transfer or Western Union are pretty sure methods.

Spyder Garage

My Dad called to tell me about a red 08 with 3000 miles, title in hand, for $6100, it was in the newspaper, all they had was a E-mail address for contact. I told him they didn't have red in 08, had to be a scam, at least i hope it was, i didn't bother to check!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    My Dad called to tell me about a red 08 with 3000 miles, title in hand, for $6100, it was in the newspaper, all they had was a E-mail address for contact. I told him they didn't have red in 08, had to be a scam, at least i hope it was, i didn't bother to check!

I have a red '08 SM5 purchased new.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Hey I got some swamp land that is, high and dry most of the year... How many acres do you want? $50 per acre minium purchase 10 acres.
    Use pay pal and I will send title via gator.

PS.
    1,000,000 acres available.
    Last edited by effgjamis; 12-07-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have a red '08 SM5 purchased new.
    +1
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Effgjamis: To bad you cant transfer your land holdings up to Alaska. Most land near people, up here goes for $40,000 per acre--even the stuff that is not to good.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oooh... I'll take all million acres as long as mineral rights are included. Paypal is on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Hey I got some swamp land that is, high and dry most of the year... How many acres do you want? $50 per acre minium purchase 10 acres.
    Use pay pal and I will send title via gator.

PS.
    1,000,000 acres available.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Buyer beware

Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    You have protection from ebay...ebay tends to be very safe (always check on feedback too)...if something elsewhere looks too good to be true, assume it is.
    As far as ebay goes, I got stuck once and that was enough. I have a 1986 Mustang GT conv. I purchased a wheel from an a__H___ in Florida. I contacted ebay and was told that the dealer said to send it back and there is a 50% restocking fee. No where in his add did it say anything about 50% restocking fee. Ebay did nothing for me. I still buy from dealers on ebay but now it it is from a dealer, not this scumbag who got me. Again it is buyer beware.

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    SLANDER!!! (OK...actually Libel) I've never even been to London!!!
    that is some funny stuff right there i don't care who you are

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
    As far as ebay goes, I got stuck once and that was enough. I have a 1986 Mustang GT conv. I purchased a wheel from an a__H___ in Florida. I contacted ebay and was told that the dealer said to send it back and there is a 50% restocking fee. No where in his add did it say anything about 50% restocking fee. Ebay did nothing for me. I still buy from dealers on ebay but now it it is from a dealer, not this scumbag who got me. Again it is buyer beware.
    eBay does a much better job of making people think they are protected than they do of actually protecting anyone.

Think about it.... What can eBay do?

Send nasty emails! OUCH! That really hurts!

Suspend your eBay account! Oh rats, it will take me most of 10 minutes to get another eBay account up and running!

It's like Rush Limbaugh says; 'Follow the money'. Since eBay doesn't have the money, they don't have any leverage to help you! Your protection comes from the people who have (or had) the money, and that needs to be Paypal.

But even Paypal won't protect you from an out-and-out fraud because the money is gone by the time you discover you've been ripped off.

So, what to do!?

#1 - Always pay with Paypal.
    #2 - ALWAYS use a credit card.

For all but out-and-out fraud, Paypal will be all you need. But when Paypal tells you SORRY because the money is already gone, then you need your ace in the hole! Your Credit Card Company.

Is this foolproof? No, noting in life is foolproof. But if you do get hung out, this approach will give you several layers of protection and most likely, you'll get your money back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Oooh... I'll take all million acres as long as mineral rights are included. Paypal is on the way!
    You know what? He's in Kissimmee... Pretty dang close to WDW... I was gonna buy the whole thing too just so's I could develop it...
    Could I pay with my Aunt's welfare checks if "Dude backs out??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    eBay does a much better job of making people think they are protected than they do of actually protecting anyone.

Think about it.... What can eBay do?

Send nasty emails! OUCH! That really hurts!

Suspend your eBay account! Oh rats, it will take me most of 10 minutes to get another eBay account up and running!

It's like Rush Limbaugh says; 'Follow the money'. Since eBay doesn't have the money, they don't have any leverage to help you! Your protection comes from the people who have (or had) the money, and that needs to be Paypal.

But even Paypal won't protect you from an out-and-out fraud because the money is gone by the time you discover you've been ripped off.

So, what to do!?

#1 - Always pay with Paypal.
    #2 - ALWAYS use a credit card.

For all but out-and-out fraud, Paypal will be all you need. But when Paypal tells you SORRY because the money is already gone, then you need your ace in the hole! Your Credit Card Company.

Is this foolproof? No, noting in life is foolproof. But if you do get hung out, this approach will give you several layers of protection and most likely, you'll get your money back.
    Ebay owns PaypalBut I agree with you.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Ebay owns PaypalBut I agree with you.
    eBay does own Paypal, but because of federal regulations they have to be run as two completely separate entities. They can only work together as would any other business that might use Paypal's services. There isn't any special privileges or information that passes between them.

So, eBay can provide no more protection than if they did not own Paypal.

It’s funny how eBay came to own Paypal. Years ago eBay did try to compete with Paypal, offering their own financial service modeled after Paypal. But they couldn’t compete so they just bought Paypal.

Money has its privileges!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage