Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How about gloves?

We got a good thread started on helmets, how about gloves? What is your favorite glove? I've been through a bunch of them and I can't really say I like one more than another. I pretty much hate them all.

I will say having heated grips has made it so I don't have to wear real heavy gloves now and that's a good thing. I like the feel of my Gerbings but they don't do well in the rain.

Spyder Garage

Yikes! Just got a pair of Gerbings. They say they are supposed to be waterproof?

In the summer, fingerless gloves with gel padding in the palm.

Winter is a pair of black pirate looking gauntlets with surgical gloves underneath.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

I have the Tourmaster electrics that plug into my jacket. They work well but are pretty bulky. They are warm!

I have a set of "Qwi" gloves that are for semi-cold weather and I love them. They claim a bunch of benefits but the best for me is the soft leather and simple lining. Not too bulky. They are good down to 45-50 degrees but are not waterproof.

I always keep a couple pairs of platex living gloves or a knock off on the bike with my rain gear. They can be used alone or as waterproof liners.
    Get the ones with the felt lining. I buy them at Harbor Freight for about a dollar a pair. I keep 3 or 4 pairs on the bike so I can give them away as needed. I get a big "Thank You" when I give a pair away to someone with cold wet hands.
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Spyder Garage

Have the smallest hands. Wear what will fits.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gloves

I have had "hit and miss" experience with gloves..
    I have several pairs of gloves....

• Scorpion Cool hand I used these the first summer I had the spyder (but they have a hole worn in the index finger) Good airflow

• Scorpion XDR Recon (I really liked this glove it includes a removable fleece liner, but the gauntlet is a little bulky)

• Scorpion XDR Gunner (very similar to the Recon without the removable liner, and the gauntlet portion is smaller)

• Scorpion SG2 (This is my favorite warm weather glove, the palm is thicker than most short gloves I have found, and the airflow is pretty good)

• Tour Masters Summer Elite 2 (nice, light weight glove)

• Generic Gas Station $12.99 waterproof insulated glove (needed some warmer gloves after riding over Mammoth on the way to Carson City NV last April, they are really bulky and don't allow much feeling, but in a pinch they come in handy)
    • Short Gel Padded Palm leather Racing Gloves (I purchased these online and they really didn't work out, the carbon fiber knuckle shell rubbed blisters onto both my hands, I sent them back very quickly)
    Last edited by Pincushion; 12-06-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

bought these at army navy store for $4.00 been using them since i bought spyder ....spent 75.00 on snowmobile gloves that don't even come close to as well as these work ....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Heated grips, Lee Parks Deerskin gloves (not the phase change
    ones). Glove liners for 40 degree or less weather.

Agree 100% with Lamont. For our part of the country, heated grips
    with medium weight gloves is the way to go. The grips even help in
    early spring and fall with lightweight gloves or vented gloves to take the chill off. Whatever the weather, I wear full coverage gloves. In case you havent't guessed by now, I'm a real proponent for heated gloves. My favorite brand is "Hot Grips" with a thermostat control ... Don' get just a high/low controller!!
    Last edited by hevnbound; 12-06-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Sam
    SN 0038 ... Dec, 2007

Spyder Garage

Couldn't tell you the name of the winter gauntlets I use - I will say they were the cheapest gloves I ever bought -- $2.00 in Korea 1979.

The have been and continue to be the warmest gloves I have found.

Summer I have several types depending on the day --

Gel palmed half finger leather
    spandex half finger - paint ball gloves obtained at wally world (rain in the summer)
    I have a pair of mesh gloves fieldsheer that are really cool during the summer also.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Harley leather gauntlets, summer and winter.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Heated grips make almost any gloves okay if it's not raining. I usually wear a pair of Joe Rocket mesh gloves all year round. Like Dochands, I have small hands and these gloves fit like, well, like a glove. I bought 4 pairs of them on Closeout at Newenough several years ago for under $10.00 a pair and I haven't worn out the first pair yet.

Before I got heated grips I wore a pair of sheepskin fleece mittens with military surplus wool glove liners under them. I could barely find the throttle, clutch, and front brake - forget anything else - but they were warm except in the rain. I haven't found anything that works in the rain.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I have been wearing deerskin work gloves for the last 45 years for summer riding. They are cheap, comfortable, and will save your hands in a fall...like all good leather gloves. Hands heal very slowly and painfully!

For intermediate to cold weather, I wear Tourmaster TS-Gel, short gauntlet gloves. I add silk glove liners if the temperature drops appreciably. These work great with heated grips. With a little Nikwax, they are reasonably waterproof, too.

For real cold weather I use Tourmaster Coldtex, with insulation and a longer gauntlet. I can also use the liners with these, but the fleece part of the glove turns inside out when I remove them, if I do.

As was prviously mentioned, I keep big Playtex dishwashing gloves to use as overgloves in the rain. I also keep a pair of neoprene fishing gloves for rainy rides...especially for the colder days. I even keep a few pairs of nitrile gloves tucked away as waterproof glove liners.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

For warm weather I use the Hatch motorcycle officer gloves. Nice and thin (so cops can still use their gun). Winter is Gerbing heated.

John

Full Moon 08' SM5, Luggage rack, back rest, Kewlmetal mirror extensions, trunk spring, hidden trunk release cable, ride-on, remote garage openers, header wrap, Lamonster's air box catch can, CHAD, NMN double play w/ LED running/signals, heated gloves (gerbing), dzus fasteners, led fender tip lights, spyderpops missing air dam, tric rings, tric fender strips, spyderpops heat shield and missing air damn, Nexx X1R1 helmet.

Spyder Garage

For warmer weather I just love the Held Steve gloves. After 6 years of wear I just retired my first pair for some Held Steve II's.

For winter I haven't found any glove better than the BMW winter pro II. Very warm, good feel, and nicely curved to fit around the grip.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Gee guys, I must be a snob about gloves compared to all of you. When I rode horses I wore a German made pair of specialized riding gloves that set me back a bundle. But I wore them for hours every day and they were worth every penny.

For ryding the Spyder, I put my hands in Held gloves and never looked back. They fit my hand, like gloves should fit. They are wonderfully comfortable. I love them! I don't think I will ever buy another brand. Call me a glove snob, but I love my Held gloves.
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have been wearing deerskin work gloves for the last 45 years for summer riding. They are cheap, comfortable, and will save your hands in a fall...like all good leather gloves. Hands heal very slowly and painfully!

For intermediate to cold weather, I wear Tourmaster TS-Gel, short gauntlet gloves. I add silk glove liners if the temperature drops appreciably. These work great with heated grips. With a little Nikwax, they are reasonably waterproof, too.

For real cold weather I use Tourmaster Coldtex, with insulation and a longer gauntlet. I can also use the liners with these, but the fleece part of the glove turns inside out when I remove them, if I do.

As was prviously mentioned, I keep big Playtex dishwashing gloves to use as overgloves in the rain. I also keep a pair of neoprene fishing gloves for rainy rides...especially for the colder days. I even keep a few pairs of nitrile gloves tucked away as waterproof glove liners.
    Thanks Scotty! I searched and read reviews ALL afternoon about the Tour Master Cold Tex VS Polar Tex and decided to get the Polar Tex even though they were $55 and Very hard to find (Most Out Of Stock?)
    While at newenough.com I also picked up a HJC CL-MAX modular for $85 (????) Which is a Great Buy!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I like the feel of my Gerbings but they don't do well in the rain.
    Interesting. My Gerbings are the only waterPROOF glove I have, other than the Aerostich lobster-type rain covers.

Hot weather is Aerostich Vegan - good armor and nice ventilation. 2nd place summer is the Joe Rocket, original version.
    Mid range is the 3-season Vegan, and a pair of Moosehide gloves that are no longer made :-(
    Cool to cold is an old pair of Tourmasters and the Gerbings.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Hey Lamont. Currently I'm using a pair of worn Onyx Waterproof gloves with Thinsulate. I have asked Santa for a nice pair of insulated (with Thinsulate) cold weather riding gloves called Cold Wave Sno Star gloves like these:

My current gloves with my heated grips work good for down to -10C for rides under 40km. I am hoping the Cold Wave's will be better. I tried them on and they feel great to block wind, are wind proof.

Cheers guys.
    Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    Interesting. My Gerbings are the only waterPROOF glove I have, other than the Aerostich lobster-type rain covers.
    Which Gerbings do you have? Did you treat them with anything?

We got the G3's for their comfort.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The heated grips are great, they keep my hand warm in any condition I can ride in. For gloves I am using leather work gloves, I also have liners that I have not used and the Aerostich lobster mits for rain.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have so many gloves in my front trunk that it looks like a store. Can't say that I'm in love with any of them though.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I just went to Big5 and grabbed some left and right handed catchers gloves.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a plastic bin the size of a large Coleman ice chest full of gloves - mostly rejects. After having a truck kick up a piece of asphalt from the road that smacked into my knuckle a couple of years back rendering my pointer finger unusable for about 5 months, I will never wear a pair of summer gloves that are not armored...so I wear mesh Icon when real warm and non-mesh leather as it gets cooler. I add large rubber surgeon-type gloves over them if it rains. For cold weather, my Gerbings are the go-to choice - sometimes add a silk liner for extra comfort. They aren't real bulky, so I can maneuver my GPS controls, etc. Add Aerostich 3 finger lobster gloves sprayed with Scotch Guard over them in the heavy rain.

Spyder Garage

In the cold I use TourMaster Winter Elite gloves. They seem to work for me down to about 20 degrees. If it is colder than that I set the Throttlemeister and pull one hand at a time behind the tank bag and wish it was warmer

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have several pair...some for different types of weather...Gerbings for really cold...2 pair with mesh and leather...2 pair fingerless....but at the Galveston Rally i purchased a pair of all leather that has cushsions running horizontal down the palm...they were designed by an orthopedic...the package is outside in the barn...it's too cold to go out there now...but tomorrow I'll post the maker...they really help with numbness in the hands...I have a cut nerve in the right hand and it has helped....one more thing..."Dochands" I have to buy XXsmall gloves and sometimes they are too big....just realized I'm posting under husbands name...I'm Flamingobabe
    Last edited by hotglue; 12-06-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Spyder Garage

Joe Rocket Sonic Gauntlets is my primary, good down to 47 without silk liners. With the liners, they are good to about 39. After that I switch to Alpinestars Apex Drystars. These things are great and so far nothing has penetrated them. But I have yet to experience sub-teen temps yet. In that scenario, I imagine I would have to go to something else. Not sure what that would be though.

For warmer weather, I switch to shorties. I have a killer set of Power Trips that I use. and when it gets real hot I use Fieldsheer mesh gauntlets. That pretty much has me covered, so to speak!
    Last edited by Raptor; 12-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S