Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour Tank

Spyder Garage

Default Tour Tank

Since the turbo my fuel mileage is reduced. Was thinking about someway to extend my tank for longer tours particularly places where gas stations are fewer and further between.

Don't want to just carry a jerry can and found these on the Internet. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I want it portable to remove and strap down. Not plumbed in for permanent capacity.

http://www.tourtank.com/index.html
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    Since the turbo my fuel mileage is reduced. Was thinking about someway to extend my tank for longer tours particularly places where gas stations are fewer and further between.

Don't want to just carry a jerry can and found these on the Internet. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I want it portable to remove and strap down. Not plumbed in for permanent capacity.

http://www.tourtank.com/index.html
    You've already got 3 aux tanks on the Spyder! Fill your tires!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Good idea. And theres the water balloons I can fill and stuff in my jacket pockets for padding.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I carry 2 of these MSR Fuel Bottles in the frunk (1 in each Spyder). I'm still not sure what I think about this safety-wise, but we've already needed them once.

30 oz is 1/4 gal roughly... 1 of them should take us 7-8 miles which around here will get us somewhere to fill up. Further from civilization they're not nearly as useful.

Those TourTubes look great! A 1.5Gallon 16"x6" fits in the frunk or on the back. Their 1/2 Gallon 4"x11" is only a little bigger than my MSR tubes and hold just over twice as much.

Had I seen these I probably would have bought them instead.

That all said, we've both had them pop their tops in the summer heat in the frunk when sitting in a parking lot for an extended time. Make sure you leave MORE than enough expansion room inside. The MSR bottles are made to pop the top when this happens instead of bursting. My rain gear permanently smells like Shell Premium. Those TourTubes don't look like they'll pop their top, more likely it'll find a weak weld... or maybe nothing will happen at all. Leave lots of air just to be sure.

As far as wrecking, I figure the tank on the Spyder isn't any tougher than these MSR bottles. If the frunk gets smushed and one pops open, it's only 30 oz of fuel tops. If something's going to catch the Spyder on fire, it'll do the same thing with 30oz as it does with vapors from the evil cannister... poof, no more Spyder. Doubt it'll do any worse than that (won't explode or anything more dangerous than a fire already is.)

Strapping one to the sportrack might be safer. In a crash it will likely detach and skitter around, probably without rupturing unless it gets pinned between vehicles or something. At that point I'd be more worried about where *I* was than the fuel bottle
    Last edited by Sny; 12-04-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

I thought two of the Tank Tubes on the sport rack. I think I found the post on the Triumph forum and several other options. Most are Iron Butt tanks and apparently there is a rule they can be no more than 11 gallons.

I was hoping for 4-6 gallons unless more is easy on my Sport Rack. A lot of posts about the MSR popping and also fuel eating up their seals.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

.....A lot of posts about the MSR popping and also fuel eating up their seals.
    The MSR bottles are for camp stoves, and they do tend to leak. Many touring riders who use them for stove fuel, siphon gas into them at the campsite, and pour it back into the tank before they hit the road again. Big PITA! I have switched to a butane(?) fuel stove for this reason. I wouldn't use the MSR cans for spare gas on a bet...but that's just me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would be neat if an adapter equipped with an inlet check valve was available that would lock and seal between the tank and the fuel cap. One of those jerry cans with a pump. Pop the fuel cap off and fill the tank, pop the cap off the Jerry can and fill with a couple gallons. I would be really happy if the Spyder had 2 more gallons.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

These look ideal. This company makes a variety of mounts if I should decide to go that way.

http://www.rotopax.com/Gasoline-Gasoline.html

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

These look ideal. This company makes a variety of mounts if I should decide to go that way.

I think the Rotopax tanks are about the safest and most versatile. I haven't figured a good way to mount them on a Spyder yet, or even on motorcycle saddlebags that are curved instead of the aluminum enduro boxes. I imagine they would mount on one of the Kewlmetal racks, though. Great for a trailer. They can even be mounted underneath, out of the way.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd just like to see my RTS get better milage.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tour tank

I mounted Tour Tank (3-gal) on a frame welded together out of an old bedframe. Mounts to the grabrails and sits about 6" above the seat so I can still open it. Also added a Pelican case for additional storage. I just ran a hose through a replacement gas cap with an inline valve. After going 110-120 miles, I just reach back, open it and the 3 gal. drains into the main tank. When not needed, I can just undo the clamps; lift off the assembly and put the stock gas cap back on. Takes about 5 minutes and works like a champ!

Spyder Garage

Nice fine. I just ordered two of the 1 gal. tanks. I'll let you know how they are.
    https://www.rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Gas...Set-of-Tw.html

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Kolpin Fuel Packs

You might want to give these a look.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...l-packs-2.html

Sam

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I know this is a silly question but since I've only had my Spyder RT since 11/20 I've been reading about the bad gas mileage ....... I was wondering if using the cruise control helps at all with the gas mileage. I know it helps with my car.

Spyder Garage

This looks like a good, safe way to do it.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2NFrnt View Post
    You might want to give these a look.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/pro...l-packs-2.html

Sam
    I did. Those are a low quality knock off that have lots of reports that they leak. That's not something I'm willing to take a chance on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhoprays View Post
    I know this is a silly question but since I've only had my Spyder RT since 11/20 I've been reading about the bad gas mileage ....... I was wondering if using the cruise control helps at all with the gas mileage. I know it helps with my car.
    Not really, you would think it would but that hasn't been the case in the testing I've done.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Good to know Lamont. I hadn't done the research, but was interested. I'll turn my purchase in the same direction you did. Thanks again.

Sam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2NFrnt View Post
    Good to know Lamont. I hadn't done the research, but was interested. I'll turn my purchase in the same direction you did. Thanks again.

Sam
    This is just one of many reviews I read.
    http://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...ack-leaks.html

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know most of you discussing spare fuel options are looking for peace of mind when travelling through areas where filling stations are few and far between...which usually means minimal traffic, also. But, for those who want to consider a different option, I just wanted to say that I purchased a motorcycle specific siphon that folds into a box about 3" x 6" that we (my husband and I) carry on one of our bikes when we go out for a ride over 100 miles. We did this because one of his bikes (Ducati Hypermotard) only gets 100 miles on a tank of gas and we have actually found ourselves in places where the high test he requires wasn't available. Since most of my bikes get at least 60 to 100 miles more than that on a tank, we just use the siphon so he can "borrow" some from me. Also, we figure if worst came to worst a passing motorist would be a good samaritan donor. We purchased it from Aerostich RiderWearHouse.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeminiJane View Post
    I know most of you discussing spare fuel options are looking for peace of mind when travelling through areas where filling stations are few and far between...which usually means minimal traffic, also. But, for those who want to consider a different option, I just wanted to say that I purchased a motorcycle specific siphon that folds into a box about 3" x 6" that we (my husband and I) carry on one of our bikes when we go out for a ride over 100 miles. We did this because one of his bikes (Ducati Hypermotard) only gets 100 miles on a tank of gas and we have actually found ourselves in places where the high test he requires wasn't available. Since most of my bikes get at least 60 to 100 miles more than that on a tank, we just use the siphon so he can "borrow" some from me. Also, we figure if worst came to worst a passing motorist would be a good samaritan donor. We purchased it from Aerostich RiderWearHouse.
    Thanks for dusting the cobwebs off a long forgotten trick. We used to carry a piece of siphon hose inside the hollow of our dirt bike handlebars, just for those occasions. Came in handy more than once . There aren't any gas stations off-road, out in the boonies.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use the Rotopax on my ATV. They are really nice and easy to mount. The only problem I have had is swelling on the fuel cans. The vent cap is not one that can be kept open to allow breathing without splashing out quite a bit of fuel and not at all if you mount it on its side. The swelling does go away after you open the vent and let it set out of the sun for a couple hours but that's not real practical when you have your ATVs out in the middle of the desert. That said, I've never had a leak. Even with the thing swollen to almost twice it's normal width it was solid. There is something to be said for having no seams.

Also, not that you would use then on the Spyder anyway, the large tanks are really awkward to use. The fill tube is rather short for the size and shape of the tank.

Spyder Garage

Got two 2 gallon tanks that join on the ends as needed.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Nice fine. I just ordered two of the 1 gal. tanks. I'll let you know how they are.
    https://www.rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Gas...Set-of-Tw.html

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

Preparing for what?!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...