Spyder Garage

Default My Custom Built Exhaust

How many folks noticed I have changed up on my sig. picture?? That exhaust you see on it. Is a custom I used a cherry Bomb inserted a 1' long baffle with a freeze plug welded in the end going into the muffler. Then I took a chrome cover off a vtx1800 stock exh. and put it together.
    SOUNDS GREAT!!!! Also because I kept the back pressure it RUNS GREAT
    The only thing I have left to do is build a chrome hanger to take the place of the steel strap i am currently using. Total cost of my exhaust was $30.** for the cherry Bomb , Had the old stock exhaust with the chrome I needed laying around as I did the baffles and $1.00 for the freeze plug $31.*** and a little time is all I have invested. Now if I would not have had the other stuff laying around. I bet I could have still picked most of what I needed up for around a $100.** so either way its a cheap mod compared to what they are selling the after market mufflers for.
    Last edited by Eddie; 08-09-2010 at 03:39 AM.

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

The pictures are nice, but now it is time for a video to let us all hear how it actually sounds.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

The pictures are nice, but now it is time for a video to let us all hear how it actually sounds.

I will work on that. I have never done that before but' I will try it off my cell phone and download to you tube.If I can

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

Default Try This

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Looks and sounds great!

Spyder Garage

That sucker sounds mean! I like it a lot! Have you had any problems when ryding your Spyder with this installed?

Might you be willing to make another one?
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

That sucker sounds mean! I like it a lot! Have you had any problems when ryding your Spyder with this installed?

Might you be willing to make another one?
    It has give me NO problems as of yet. I still need to take it up and have the J.B. set to the dyno. Really all you need to do is find some junk exhaust off of a cruiser. Get the chrome covers off of the Mufflers. Mine came off of a stock 2007 VTX 1800N model exhaust. Pick up a cheap cherry bomb at your local auto parts store. Mine came from Oreilly Auto Parts. Get you an open baffle some place and install a car freeze plug in one end of it. Put it into the back side of the muffler with the F. Plug going in first. Needs to go in about a foot deep.As far as mounting mine. I cut my stock off and used adapters to put my modded exhaust on. I will have to play with a few before I actually built one for anyone but me. Don't want to mess any one's bike up but ' my own. I really do not think you would even need a J.B. with this mod. because of the back pressure.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I will have to play with a few before I actually built one for anyone but me. Don't want to mess any one's bike up but ' my own.
    That makes a lot of sense, much better to be safe than sorry. Since I already have the Hindle, I think I will stick with that. Are you going to be at SitS? I would like to see, and hear, this in person, and do a comparison as well.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    I'm having a little difficulty picturing this. I'm sure it will turn into a moment once I get it but right now I don't. What is the purpose of the freeze plug and how is it being held in.

Good video clip for the sound. Any chance you could do the same thing except with you doing a ride by and somebody else holding the camera/phone to see what it sounds like under street conditions. The video quality not so important it the sound.
    I will try to put one of the baffles together to show you what I am talking about in the next day or so. May even try the vid thing if I get a chance All the freeze plug is for is to keep some back pressure. I tack welded mine in place.

Spyder Garage

That looks and sounds great!

I may try a Victory SportCruiser exhaust I've got in the garage.

Ride on.
    Roadkill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    That looks and sounds great!

I may try a Victory SportCruiser exhaust I've got in the garage.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    There ya go!!! Thats how I done it just kept playing until I found what I liked and the spyder ran well with. Anyone that says these Spyders don't have a mind of their own is NUTS!!!!!!! When it comes to exhaust We must compromise. If the Spyder don't like it you won't either !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    I'm having a little difficulty picturing this. I'm sure it will turn into a moment once I get it but right now I don't. What is the purpose of the freeze plug and how is it being held in.

Good video clip for the sound. Any chance you could do the same thing except with you doing a ride by and somebody else holding the camera/phone to see what it sounds like under street conditions. The video quality not so important it the sound.
    Here is a video of what it sounds like under a load. Sorry about the picture quality its about as good as it gets with my phone.I still havn't got any photos of my baffle yet.But' I'm working on it

Last edited by Eddie; 08-12-2010 at 08:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default My Baffle

Sorry these photos are not better but' its what I got. Hope it works for you. If you notice I have a photo of the freeze plug by it self. That is what you want about a foot or so down into your muffler for the back pressure. Now I used a baffle just like the one I have photoed. You could use just about anything as long as you can get it in far enough and make it stay in the muffler. Hope this helps

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Man that thing sounds crisp and MEAN as all get out! Awesome!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes!!!
    Now that sounds like a V-twin!!!
    Unlike my Hindle.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice job

Sounds good. Ken krb1945
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

im impressed, ive seen guys do this to there harleys and other sports bikes and it just wasnt appealing, is it still running good for you?

Spyder Garage

WOW! Love it! VROOM VROOM!!!
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

The only good view of a thunderstorm is in your rearview mirror.