Spyder Garage

Default URGENT POST RE: DPS STEERING

I'VE FINALLY EXPRERIENCED THE DREADED DPS STEERING MALFUNCTION. MY GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCED THE STEERING MALFUNCTION ON HER RED 2009 SPYDER RS SM5 WITH 6,600 MILES LAST WEEEK. TODAY, I RODE MY GIRLFRIEND'S SPYDER WHILE SHE RODE MY YELLOW 2009 SPYDER WITH 4,000 MILES. FIRST OFF, I HAVE 43 YEARS EXPERIENCE RIDING ALL TYPES OF MOTORCYCLES AND DRAG RACING VECHILES. I'VE READ MANY POSTS ABOUT THE STEERING PROBLEMS AND I'VE EXPERIMENTED BY DISABLING THE DPS AND RIDING WITH MANUAL STEERING AND FOUND THAT THERE ISN'T MUCH DIFFERENCE WITH THE DPS ENABLED. I'VE IGNORED THE FIRST UPDATE AND THE RECALL BECAUSE I AM HAPPY WITH THE ORIGINAL STEERING. BIG BIG MISTAKE! TODAY WHILE RIDING AT 70 MPH IN THE MIDDLE LANE ON A SMOOTH LEVEL HIGHWAY I EXPERIENCED THE STEERING VEER ME TO THE RIGHT AND AS I TRIED TO COUNTER STEER TO THE LEFT I EXPERIENCED EXTREME RESISTANCE. THANK GOODNESS NO ONE WAS IN THE RIGHT LANE ALONG SIDE OF ME. I STRONGLY URGE ALL SPYDER OWNERS WHO HAVE NOT YET HAD THE NEW DPS STEERING INSTALLED TO DO SO IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT BE FOOLED AS I WAS JUST BECAUSE U HAVE NOT HAD ANY STEERING PROBLEMS. I AM TAKING BOTH THE SPYDERS IN ON TUESDAY TO HAVE THE NEW DPS INSTALLED. IF THE NEW STEERING IS MORE SENSITIVE SO BE IT. WE WILL ALL HAVE TO ADJUST TO IT. HOPEFULLY THE NEW DPS STEERING BOX WILL CORRECT THIS POTENTIALLY DEADLY STEERING MALFUNCTION.
    Last edited by MISTERZ06; 11-28-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thankfully you were not hurt. Many of us on SpyderLovers have urged our fellow riders to get the new DPS. BRP has done a great job in getting it right, yet so many have still held out. When I got our 2008 SE5 done I posted on SL and tried to explain how much better it was, hoping to encourage others to do it ASAP. I got so many skeptic responses, I just quit writing about it. I guess it's just human nature to think that way.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I was one of the skeptics. But not any more. The new DPS unit does in fact work well. I think you will find that you will have to make some adjustments to your riding style, and possibly tyre air pressure. I had to use slightly softer hands/arms because the new unit seems very responsive. But it is also extremely accurate. So trusting the unit and making the adjustment(s) improved my overall technique and made me smoother. This translated into faster!

Good luck with everything. I think at the end of the day you will be pleased.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MISTERZ06 View Post
    I'VE FINALLY EXPRERIENCED THE DREADED DPS STEERING MALFUNCTION. MY GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCED THE STEERING MALFUNCTION ON HER RED 2009 SPYDER RS SM5 WITH 6,600 MILES LAST WEEEK. TODAY, I RODE MY GIRLFRIEND'S SPYDER WHILE SHE RODE MY YELLOW 2009 SPYDER WITH 4,000 MILES. FIRST OFF, I HAVE 43 YEARS EXPERIENCE RIDING ALL TYPES OF MOTORCYCLES AND DRAG RACING VECHILES. I'VE READ MANY POSTS ABOUT THE STEERING PROBLEMS AND I'VE EXPERIMENTED BY DISABLING THE DPS AND RIDING WITH MANUAL STEERING AND FOUND THAT THERE ISN'T MUCH DIFFERENCE WITH THE DPS ENABLED. I'VE IGNORED THE FIRST UPDATE AND THE RECALL BECAUSE I AM HAPPY WITH THE ORIGINAL STEERING. BIG BIG MISTAKE! TODAY WHILE RIDING AT 70 MPH IN THE MIDDLE LANE ON A SMOOTH LEVEL HIGHWAY I EXPERIENCED THE STEERING VEER ME TO THE RIGHT AND AS I TRIED TO COUNTER STEER TO THE LEFT I EXPERIENCED EXTREME RESISTANCE. THANK GOODNESS NO ONE WAS IN THE RIGHT LANE ALONG SIDE OF ME. I STRONGLY URGE ALL SPYDER OWNERS WHO HAVE NOT YET HAD THE NEW DPS STEERING INSTALLED TO DO SO IMMEDIATELY. DO NOT BE FOOLED AS I WAS JUST BECAUSE U HAVE NOT HAD ANY STEERING PROBLEMS. I AM TAKING BOTH THE SPYDERS IN ON TUESDAY TO HAVE THE NEW DPS INSTALLED. IF THE NEW STEERING IS MORE SENSITIVE SO BE IT. WE WILL ALL HAVE TO ADJUST TO IT. HOPEFULLY THE NEW DPS STEERING BOX WILL CORRECT THIS POTENTIALLY DEADLY STEERING MALFUNCTION.
    Why are you yelling at us
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So that I can read it easier??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So that I can read it easier??
    I find it just the opposite. So, I stopped after the first sentence and just looked at the replies.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I find it just the opposite. So, I stopped after the first sentence and just looked at the replies.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS

for the info
    SPYDRRR

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it's from "Mister Z06". If he's got one of those he's probably used to yelling to be heard over the noise of the wind getting shoved aside at over 180mph...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black