Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Right side exhaust is too hot.

I just picked up my spyder RT-SE5 last week. I have noticed on some of my travels that the right side of the bike gets so hot that it feels like my right foot is burning up. I was hardly able to put my foot on the brake petal due to the heat. On other trips I do not get the extreme heat. Has anyone else experienced the problem I am describing? I was curious if it could be a shifting problem or an exhaust problem. The other question is what do the experienced riders use in shifting to the 4th and 5th gears as to either speed or rpms?

Spyder Garage

Wear sturdy boots.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Wear sturdy boots.
    I agree! When I wore my tennis shoes while riding, my foot would burn up! Especially in the AZ summer! Good sturdy boots work great! Bought some at a Red wing store at a good price! Also bought some socks that keep your feet dry by wicking up the sweat and cools the feet. And as long as I'm wearing jeans my leg doesn't feel the heat. But now with it cooling off, the heat doesn't feel that bad! And I love the heated hand grips!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carol33931 View Post
    I just picked up my spyder RT-SE5 last week. I have noticed on some of my travels that the right side of the bike gets so hot that it feels like my right foot is burning up. I was hardly able to put my foot on the brake petal due to the heat. On other trips I do not get the extreme heat. Has anyone else experienced the problem I am describing? I was curious if it could be a shifting problem or an exhaust problem. The other question is what do the experienced riders use in shifting to the 4th and 5th gears as to either speed or rpms?
    welcome
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

There have been many post about the "HOT" footissue. Ryders have done different things to alleviate the problem, from cutting holes in the plastic to rigging ways to divert the air past your foot. The best solution is to wear riding boots. Even they get hot but not like tennis shoes or similar foot wear. I live in Florida and I have measured 126 degrees at my foot during the summer. I wore "sneakers" and actually melted the glue to where the shoes came apart. Winter should be a lot better, in fact on the cooler days we have, the engine is running cooler.
    welcome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taggtr View Post
    I agree! When I wore my tennis shoes while riding, my foot would burn up! Especially in the AZ summer! Good sturdy boots work great! Bought some at a Red wing store at a good price! Also bought some socks that keep your feet dry by wicking up the sweat and cools the feet. And as long as I'm wearing jeans my leg doesn't feel the heat. But now with it cooling off, the heat doesn't feel that bad! And I love the heated hand grips!
    I always where boots and jeans even in summer when I ryde. Helps for getting sun burn and tennis shoes are only good to run with I believe. However, my wife says that the heated grips in the back are not kicking in. When we got home the other day she had me touch them and they didn't feel cold, but not as warm as the front grips.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

I know several have complained about this but I must say, I never have had this problem.

I wear low tennis shoes quite a bit and my feet don't get hot at all. I'm not sure what the deal is.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Wear sturdy boots.
    But also check out Spyder Pops.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjp623 View Post
    But also check out Spyder Pops.
    I also have his products for the fan side and they work great for me; but, I have a GS/RS.

You may also want to check out ISCI's spy-fan can:

http://www.industrialspecialty.com/i..._spycamfan.pdf

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have RT w/o any heat problems. Rode through Eastern WA,OR,NV,CA and then back up the western side and wore tennies and jeans the whole trip. Now have over 12000 miles and it's greeeaaaatt!! My 2009 SE5? Now that's a different story. Burned me up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    .....However, my wife says that the heated grips in the back are not kicking in. When we got home the other day she had me touch them and they didn't feel cold, but not as warm as the front grips.
    The heated passenger grips are tricky. First, there has to be a passenger in the seat. You have already met this requirement. Second, they do not just turn on, like the front grips. You have to hit the up button repeatedly to get them to max temp. You adjust down the same way. Each push raises (or lowers) the temperature one step. The "OFF" button turns them off instantly, however. They do not get as warm as the front grips (which are too darned hot, IMO), but they should get reasonably warm if you keep raising the temp. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell which heat step they are on.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

welcome Wear sturdy boots .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

The heated passenger grips are tricky. First, there has to be a passenger in the seat. You have already met this requirement. Second, they do not just turn on, like the front grips. You have to hit the up button repeatedly to get them to max temp. You adjust down the same way. Each push raises (or lowers) the temperature one step. The "OFF" button turns them off instantly, however. They do not get as warm as the front grips (which are too darned hot, IMO), but they should get reasonably warm if you keep raising the temp. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell which heat step they are on.
    Sounds like a job for 'ESI'!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The front grips get real hot. Even on the low setting they get to hot for me. Thanks for the info on the rear grips. Wifey claims she can't get them to turn on. I'll tell her about your comments.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I also have his products for the fan side and they work great for me; but, I have a GS/RS.

You may also want to check out ISCI's spy-fan can:

http://www.industrialspecialty.com/i..._spycamfan.pdf

The Fan Can is for the RS Only at this point. Thay may change in the future. If it does I will post it here on Spyderlovers.
    ISCI Billy

1-800-838-9421
    www.isciride.com

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I'll just let her keep playing with them.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5