Spyder Garage

Default Any ideas for January ryding in AZ-NM-TX?

Winter is well and truly here (I won't go into the gory details, but I'm 500 miles N of Billings in the Great White North.) Spring is at least 5 months away...

I'm wondering what my ryding options are for early January in Arizona, New Mexico or west Texas? I figure it's a 3-day tow to get the RT there, and I would have maybe a week to tour. How's the weather going to be?

Or should I just keep going into Mexico? ;-)

Thanks,
    Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sedona in AZ is BEAUTIFUL!! But don't go too far north or you'll possibly hit snow in Flagstaff.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You might want to stop at Carlsbad, NM....Carlsbad Caverns are a must see...probably not far off you journey. Im in Az. and the Grand Canyon would be brutal, weather wise that time of the year but if you do stop at Sedona then a must see is Sunset Crater about 35k north of Flag.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default January Ride

We ride pretty much all year here along the Gulf Coast of Texas. We've got the Gulf breezes to help raise the temps. during the winter months.(85 deg. today) . Can actually get pretty cold in west Texas during winter and I DEFINITELY would not venture close to the Mexican border with the drug war situation like it is.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've been in Hobbs for 3 years now and it is in the SE corner of NM. Weather in January is typically dry and windy with lows in the 20's and highs in the 50's. Best bet for great weather in January is Arizona and Southern Cali.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would recommend the Texas Hill country or Southern Arizona. Most great rides in New Mexico tend to be through high elevation. While the weather is usually mild, it is very unpredictable. Fredericksberg Texas would be a good place to use as a hub. You would be close to rides like this. http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/the3s.html And you wont have to deal with Austin or San Antonio traffic.

Spyder Garage

Default big ben national park

big ben national is half way between elpaso tx and brownsville tx on the way to padre island. very isolated but beautiful, has mountains and valeys. any way if you get to the gulf coast and padre you may see many of your canadian friends there. happy travels. mexico is a no no at this time what a shame.
    Last edited by capt jim; 12-03-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added a ps