Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Stealer - Beware

Well there you go, a great day with a bunch of great people. Or so you thought... You get home and notice that someone helped themsellves to your spyder cover and rain gear. Now I'm sure some harley guy might have fun trying to cover their bike with a RT-S spyder cover, so it couldn't possibly be another spyder lover that would take from another. But then again I hear there's a great black market for spyder covers now a days. Anyway, if you might of permatly "borrowed" these items. My wish to you is that you sleep well at night. It reminds me of that famous saying "What comes around goes around".

Folks lock your spyder always !!!
    Last edited by ddileo; 11-20-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default THAT SUXXS

WHEREin fla were you ????????????????????????? this gives us a bad name
    sure he did not live in this great state
    SPYDRRR

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Stealing is Spyder Stealing

Spyder Stealing is Spyder Stealing anywhere you live.

But since you asked, mid-west Florida
    Specifically: Tampa, Brooksville, Sleepy Hollow.

There always seems to be a bad one in the bunch.

Most all SpyderLovers I've met seem to be good people.

Oh well live, learn and lock.
    Last edited by ddileo; 11-20-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of this happening to you... Kind of makes those old "Insured by Smith & Wesson" placards make sense...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bummer. Saw a sticker "Insured by Walther, ltd"
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Man that sucks ! You would have to think that it was someone with an RTS as what other bike would it fit . And the rain gear that is some what size specific . Thanks for the heads up. When i get my cover I will paint my name or address on it so it stands out and will be less desireable .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I'd be surprised if it was a Spyder owner...or even a motorcyclist. People will steal anything that is not fastened down these days. No rhyme, no reason, just grab it and see if it is useful or can be sold, later. Lots ends up discarded.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Bummer to hear of the theft. Scotty is probably right on--not necessarily stole by another biker---just some dumb a-- thief to feed a drug habit. Most bikers would not even think of taking anothers stuff. I have been with a large club for over 10 years now---and we have never had an incident of missing items--and most dont have locking saddlebags and luggage like the Spyders.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'd be surprised if it was a Spyder owner...or even a motorcyclist. People will steal anything that is not fastened down these days. No rhyme, no reason, just grab it and see if it is useful or can be sold, later. Lots ends up discarded.

Spyder Garage

Default Tried to get me but failed

Had the RT parked in a public lot on Main Street at Biketoberfest a few weeks ago. Returned to the bike a couple hours later. Noticed that someone tried to jimmy open the lock on the rear trunk. The lock held, though, and nothing was missing.

I hate theives.......

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an alarm might have scared them off if one was installed. I'm looking into that option myself.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

I'm going the alarm route. Too many times have I found signs of or seen mischief around my spyder. The latest was coming out of home depot to find some teens gathered around it with one standing on the seat.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Sounds like an alarm might have scared them off if one was installed. I'm looking into that option myself.
    Someone needs to invent an alarm that recognizes anything inserted into the lock other than the key made for it, with an alarm that includes a shock device. I consider it a deterrent. Anyone else agree with this idea?
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler~ View Post
    Someone needs to invent an alarm that recognizes anything inserted into the lock other than the key made for it, with an alarm that includes a shock device. I consider it a deterrent. Anyone else agree with this idea?
    Include a remote to shock at user's preference...

"Sorry honey, didn't know you where sitting on the Spyder..."
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Police Report was filed.

Like the remote electrice shock thing .

A police report was filed.
    My name is on the stolen goods.

Thanks all lovers for your comments !
    What a great forum.

Spyder Garage

That's why I have an Alarm on my Spyder :-))

Spyder Garage

When my dad was a boy, he and his brother rigged up a Model T coil to an old man's car door handle, while the man was in a local store. When the senior citizen came out and touched the handle, he passed out cold. My dad and uncle figured they had killed the old coot, and ran five miles home, where they hid under the bed. My grandfather walked them back to town to face the music, where they had to apologize to the now recovered, and mad as heck, victim. They never tried that stunt again.

You never know the results of a shock. What if the person that received it had a pacemaker? Electric shock alarms would certainly be discouraging, but in this litigous age, would likely do more harm to you than to the thief.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

You just need to make the shock "good enough" that there is no chance of a law suit ......30 amp 220 should do the trick!
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Spyder Garage

It might be time for someone to invent the Spyder Monkey Security System (an adaption of the YouTube Trunk Monkey Security System)......it would be initially installed in the trunk & then as time goes by it gets moved to the frunk (due to the system "expanding")!

Seriously, if anyone is looking into getting a security system I would highly recommend getting one with a motion sensor (adjustable). This feature keeps the less than respectable citizens from getting too close.
    Mine gives people a warning chirp letting them know that they are "close enough to look" before it sets off the main alarm preventing them from "touching". I just have to remember to turn it off when she is parked in the garage because there is no "dog owner" setting!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow Dean. Sorry to hear this. I never used mine till we were in Daytona and we had the spyders locked together. I would guess some kids did it, but you never know anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by qasamm View Post
    I'm going the alarm route. Too many times have I found signs of or seen mischief around my spyder. The latest was coming out of home depot to find some teens gathered around it with one standing on the seat.
    How 'bout a prox alarm linked to an ejecto seato That'll teach dat mofo a lesson
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Default pawn shop

Hi..... agree with most that it is likely someone looking for a fast buck. I'd be prone to check local pawn shops that are fairly close by. Sorry for your loss.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    When my dad was a boy, he and his brother rigged up a Model T coil to an old man's car door handle, while the man was in a local store. When the senior citizen came out and touched the handle, he passed out cold. My dad and uncle figured they had killed the old coot, and ran five miles home, where they hid under the bed. My grandfather walked them back to town to face the music, where they had to apologize to the now recovered, and mad as heck, victim. They never tried that stunt again.

You never know the results of a shock. What if the person that received it had a pacemaker? Electric shock alarms would certainly be discouraging, but in this litigous age, would likely do more harm to you than to the thief.
    I used to do that with condensors from the ignition points on cars. When I was stationed in Delaware the kids in base housing would mess with the cars. I'd charge one then tape it underneath the car door handle, little boogers didn't mess with it too much after that.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards