Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Hauling Question....

Not sure if this is the correct section of the forum to stage this question but.....

Background:
    We have a travel trailer and go camping in it as often as possible. My honey fabricated a heavy duty 4-bicycle rack that goes onto the back of the travel trailer and attaches with a 2 receiver set up that is welded to the travel trailer frame. We haul this set-up with our Dodge dually (4 door, full bed).

Where the motorcycles come into play:
    He is wanted to figure out some way to take both our motorcycles with us when we go away for extended (more than a weekend) time. He has plans of fabricating a deck for the bicycle rack that will attach onto it for when we want to haul a motorcycle. That takes care of his Duc, which only weights a couple hundred lbs. Now comes the tricky part.....my Spyder. On paper, my Spyder will fit in the bed of the Dodge. He's found a website that takes bed size, truck bed height, and motorcycle ground clearance and calculates ramp length for you. He is planning on fabricating a deck / ramp continuation to the removable ramps for the back of the truck bed in order to clear the wheel wells, along with an elaborate tie down system. This will put the Spyder's front tires just about a bed height with the rear tire sitting in the bed.

I know, I know....I am having a hard time envisioning it too! But....he is pretty sure he can make it work. He wanted me to ask my new Spyderlover friends to see if any of you had successfully hauled your Spyders in the bed of your trucks.

Let the onslaught of "Are you CRAZY" comments begin!!!!
    Angela
    Suffolk, VA
    2009 Spyder GS
    Phantom Black Limited Edition #195
    "Newbie Spyder Owner"

Spyder Garage

There was a rig available for this and I'm sure it was in a thread posted here.Do a search and you might find the thread.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

I found this....is it what you're talking about?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...hlight=hauling
    Angela
    Suffolk, VA
    2009 Spyder GS
    "Newbie Spyder Owner"

Spyder Garage

Yes, I hope it helps.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think a Spyder is too heavy and expensive to try to hall in a PU. hauled my RS from Oregon to Puero Vallarta, Mx. in Oct. At the Border I covered it with a tarp to draw less attention to it and to me. It took several hours to clean my bike when I arrived because of the blue tarp flapping. Fortunately no damage to the paint. Won't do that again. I plan to make a cover similar to a Covered Wagon for the trip home and to SpyderFest. Some things I have to learn the hard way.

John

Seal FloorBoards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What you really need is to buy my Jayco Talon Toy Hauler and both your motorcycle and Spyder can ride safely inside and you and your family can camp in comfort!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have seen one in the back of an Avalanche at SITS in 09
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, the though of my spyder being in the truck bed kind of freaks me out a little. But I also know my honey and he's the most "anal, over secure it, super duper tie down, don't do it if it ain't safe" guy I know. So I guess we'll just have to see how this one plays out.

I was just kind of hoping that one of you all had done such a thing with success and had pics to share. Thanks for all your help though. I did send him the link to this thread along with the link to that contraption.
    Angela
    Suffolk, VA
    2009 Spyder GS
    "Newbie Spyder Owner"

Spyder Garage

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but there are some pitfalls to consider. Spyders have been hauled in the back of pickups, but clearance is extremely tight when put in forward, and much of the weight is on the tailgate if loaded backward. Your rack extensions could help there, but be aware of the added weight. It won't leave room for much tongue weight for the trailer...even with your dually. In addition, if the truck tailgate must be left down, you may have trailer clearance problems. The angle at which a Spyder is loaded is critical, due to the low clearance. It will take long ramps, a dock, or a hydraulic loader.

Tie-downs with a Spyder should be made through the wheels. Without extra room at each end, that will have to be done in the opposite direction, with the straps pulling toward the Spyder from each end. Hauling a Spyder backwards requires removing the windshield, to prevent breakage from the wind.

Also, be careful with the Duc. Even a moped weighs more than 200 pounds. My guess would be closer to 500. That is a big strain, a couple feet out on a receiver. They do make racks for the back of motorhomes for carrying large motorcycles. Maybe one could be adapted. Watch the weight capacities of anything you use...very closely.

I have hauled a lot of things in my time, but I would not do this. We don't have all the comforts of home, but when we hit the road the motorcycles go in an enclosed trailer...which becomes our home with a couple of cots and a porta-john, after we arrive at our destination.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 11-17-2010 at 10:00 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at what the experts are using... Snowmobilers are usually the best experts since their toys have gotten larger over the years, so they've learne to adapt to the changing times. I know that there is a rig available that fits in the bed of a pickup that lowers to the ground on an angle and you then winch or ride the toy of choice into place, tie it down, and raise this bed back up onto the truck...
    I'm going to have to see if I can find a picture of it somewhere for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TK Loaders... They make all kinds of contraptions for just this sort of thing...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's another one that's a bit larger...
    www.discountramps.com. listed under ramps for snowmobiles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Here's another one that's a bit larger...
    www.discountramps.com. listed under ramps for snowmobiles
    Dang... that one ought to change the center of gravity a bit.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep...
    ...but they've been used for years and if your truck can hold 1200 pounds of sleds, it might as well put 'em up high where they can be seen!

Spyder Garage

Thanks sooo much guys! I've passed all this info. along with your extreme warnings & concerns along to my honey.

We don't want to trade in our travel trailer for a toy hauler mainly because we just got it about 6 months ago. So we're either gonna have to find a way to make it work or scrap the idea.

Guess only time will tell. We'll see!
    Angela
    Suffolk, VA
    2009 Spyder GS
    "Newbie Spyder Owner"

Spyder Garage

You might want to reconsider the trade in and here's why.
    While your trade is basicly worthless (Big white boxes are very hard to sell right now) so is the one your looking to buy (worthless)
    It might not cost you as much as you think it will.

Those hydrolic rampy things in the previous posts are cool but expencive.

Check them out and also shop for a toy hauler. You might find it cost effective to just do the trade.
    -Samurai Mechanic-