Thread: arm rest

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default arm rest

Has anyone installed the Corbin passenger arm rest on there RT trunk?Thinking of a set for my wife who misses the one's we had on our Voyager 2 wheeler. J W Miller

Spyder Garage

I have and they're well worth it. I will say that they "seem" to be a bit loose when installed. What I mean by that is when someone gets on the passenger seat, they have a tendancy of using the armrest to assist them getting in the seat. When they do that, the armrest "dips down" (for lack of a better term). Its the weight that the person is applying.

My suggestion would be that when the armrests are installed, that some kind of a large washer be used.

Bottom line though is that my wife loves them and feels quite secure and COMFORTABLE with them. That's what it's all about isn't it?

Chris PE # 0004
    Sanford, Flarda

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have, for a customer, see photo here:
    http://www.nwacycleservice.com/page6.php

Installation is extensive but not difficult if you're handy with tools.

I think the three chrome bolts on the right armrest in the photo are for the upcoming cup holder accessory.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Question

how secure is the arm rest say in the event of an accident?

or in a hard swerve... is the mounting strong enough to support the weight transfer?

Spyder Garage

I can only say that it seemed sturdy to my wife using them when we took it for a test ride after installation. We took some corners and she weighs more than me and she had no concerns about their structural integrity.

Her only comment was that they were about 1/2 inch too high, they're not adjustable, she had to move her elbows outwards a little to keep from raising her shoulders uncomfortably.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers

Spyder Garage

I agree with Gary. You will not have any problems in the event you swerved or made a hard turn. You passenger will feel very secure. In my earlier post I pointed out the slight movement of the armrest downward when a passenger got on only to point that fact out, but not to suggest that the passenger would not be secure in the seat. The bottom line is that these armrests providing comfort AND security to the passenger. They don't have to be constantly holding onto the hand bars.

Hope this helps.

Chris PE# 0004

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I agree with Gary. You will not have any problems in the event you swerved or made a hard turn. You passenger will feel very secure. In my earlier post I pointed out the slight movement of the armrest downward when a passenger got on only to point that fact out, but not to suggest that the passenger would not be secure in the seat. The bottom line is that these armrests providing comfort AND security to the passenger. They don't have to be constantly holding onto the hand bars.

Hope this helps.

Chris PE# 0004

Does this mean over time the armrest will become lose or bent ?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

It will NOT become loose or bent. (unless she weighs 400 lbs and sits on it)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you very much gent's, I thought they might be to high. but no one mentioned that so looks like when a set will be orded. J W Miller

Spyder Garage

JW - I did mention earlier that they may be a little too high, according to my wife.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J W Miller View Post
    Thank you very much gent's, I thought they might be to high. but no one mentioned that so looks like when a set will be orded. J W Miller
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default One additional observation...

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Hope this helps.

Chris PE# 0004
    The bit of looseness referred to, and it's just a bit, occurs as the armrest is tugged AWAY from the bike. When we ride through the twisties, my wife keeps herself steady by putting her hand over the inner (of the corner) armrest which gives her an additional and very secure handhold.