Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold weather Riding Jackets, Pants and Gloves

Hi All,
    Can you give recommendation and links for cold weather jackets, pants and gloves
    i have tryed snowmobile jackets, pants and gloves .But the jackets let the cold air penetrate the arms.(not leak up the sleeve).
    My regular leather riding jacket seems to give me better arm air protection,than the snowmobile stuff but my leather jacket won't handle the cold for too much longer.The pants have been ok up to about 35degrees. and the snowmobile gloves are big enough to put my walmart leather gloves into but the air does penetrate that too.
    I thought that snowmobile stuff would be good since you are riding in snow and cold, but that is just not the case
    thanks all
    Howy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by howyman View Post
    Hi All,
    Can you give recommendation and links for cold weather jackets, pants and gloves
    i have tryed snowmobile jackets, pants and gloves .But the jackets let the cold air penetrate the arms.(not leak up the sleeve).
    My regular leather riding jacket seems to give me better arm air protection,than the snowmobile stuff but my leather jacket won't handle the cold for too much longer.The pants have been ok up to about 35degrees. and the snowmobile gloves are big enough to put my walmart leather gloves into but the air does penetrate that too.
    I thought that snowmobile stuff would be good since you are riding in snow and cold, but that is just not the case
    thanks all
    Howy
    This is what I use and have ridden in below zero weather. The legs have zippers all the way up each side for easy on and off even with your boots. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx

And then I have something like these on my handlebars:
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

A snowmobile jacket that allows cold air to penetrate? If it's letting air in I wouldn't call that a real snowmobile jacket. It's perhaps a decent winter coat but a snowmobile jacket should never let air in unless you want it too.

Although I do not use them I have never heard anyone complain about the technical gear such as Klim or even Arctiva. These are designed for extreme cold weather riding AND deep powder. You'll notice both highly recommend a layering system. If you're going to ride in the cold, you need to prepare for it with the right equipment. Heated gear is nice but it's tethered to an electrical source. Nothing beats proper layering.
    Last edited by pierrelogic; 11-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I do things in layers. Technical longjohns including a mock turtleneck top (tuck the long sleeves inside your gloves), heated vest or jacket liner, balaclava, helmet chin windguard, silk liner gloves, and a good, waterproof motorcycle jacket and pants. The velcro fasteners at the jacket sleeves will tighten over the glove gauntlets, and keep the wind out. I add a fleece jacket or fleece jacket liner if needed, over the vest. Polypro or silk liner socks, wool socks or Sokz winter motorcycle knee socks, and good heavy, tall boots. The gloves are the toughest part. Good motorcycle winter gauntlet gloves will keep the wind out, but fingers still get cold. The snowmobile hand muffs will help. Heated grips or heated gloves are better. Use both for severe conditions. Faceshield fogging is a problem. Some snowmobile helmets are DOT approved, and have special faceguards and external breath venting, to help prevent fogging.

Don't expect winter gear that works well to come cheap. There is no substitute for the very best gear when the weather drops below freezing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

does the first gear run small or big??

did you get the handle bar cover from there too???
    Last edited by howyman; 11-14-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

I bought some good snow pants last year and they help a bunch in the cold weather.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow, I really can't believe no one has mentioned electric liners.
    When I was in Asheville for 3 years I bought the Tourmaster electric jacket and gloves. Made all the difference for me. With these you dont need all the bulk for multiple layers. Just a riding jacket over it.

I have found that there are times I get cold no matter what I am wearing. (I say my body is just not making heat right now) I can turn on the jacket for a few minutes and it's "comfort city"

The tour master stuff has an entry level controller and is priced accordingly.
    (I find it works fine and I just turn it on and off as needed)
    Gerbing and Widder make high end electrics (also priced accordingly)

Once you go electric you will never look back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I do things in layers. Technical longjohns including a mock turtleneck top (tuck the long sleeves inside your gloves), heated vest or jacket liner, balaclava, helmet chin windguard, silk liner gloves, and a good, waterproof motorcycle jacket and pants. The velcro fasteners at the jacket sleeves will tighten over the glove gauntlets, and keep the wind out. I add a fleece jacket or fleece jacket liner if needed, over the vest. Polypro or silk liner socks, wool socks or Sokz winter motorcycle knee socks, and good heavy, tall boots. The gloves are the toughest part. Good motorcycle winter gauntlet gloves will keep the wind out, but fingers still get cold. The snowmobile hand muffs will help. Heated grips or heated gloves are better. Use both for severe conditions. Faceshield fogging is a problem. Some snowmobile helmets are DOT approved, and have special faceguards and external breath venting, to help prevent fogging.

Don't expect winter gear that works well to come cheap. There is no substitute for the very best gear when the weather drops below freezing.
    Well stated Scotty. You always get what you pay for. On the issue of faceshield fogging by far the best solution is the Fog Evader. Sure you look like the "swamp thing" wearing it but having ridden in extreme cold I never get any fogging on the shield using this product. It has a metal strap that you can adjust aorund the nose for a perfect customized fit too. They used to make the full neoprene balaclava but this one with the strap is fine. It does an excellent job of deflecting your breath down and away from the shield. It also warms your neck in doing so. Fairly cheap solution to the fogging issue too.

The full balaclava is available on ebay --> Full sized version
    Last edited by pierrelogic; 11-14-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Cold Riding

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you like to stay with BRP clothing, their atv winter coat just came from the skidoo line. I have the jacket and bibs and it's super warm also.

BRP Modular is one of the best electric shield helmet out there. It has a jet fighter mask that goes on you face also.

Last edited by Justin; 11-14-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by howyman View Post
    does the first gear run small or big??

did you get the handle bar cover from there too???
    The First Gear Suit runs pretty true to size but is long in the legs. Tall people will not have a problem with this suit. I am only 5'6" but needed an XL so my pants are bunched up on the bottom. The nice thing is I don't have to wear a lot under it, I can even go in just jeans and a t-shirt.

The handlebar muffs can be found in a variety of places on line. We actually bought BRP ones that they make for snowmobiles at our dealership. Both Brian and I are very happy with them.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have used Tourmaster Wear for some time, they are the best investment I have ever made. Never leave home without the Jacket Liner. Run it on Medium heat and ride all day.

If you are looking for one, buy the Jacket Liner not the vest, keeps the core body warm right up to the your neck.

Spyder Garage

I'm a fan of FirstGear and Tourmaster, based on their track record and my experience using it. I recommend tourmaster waterproof and lined pants and padding. I have a pair which have lasted me two years now and continue to go strong when the cold weather sets in. The FirstGear jackets are nice, waterproof and good and useful features like a built-in balaclava, good sized pockets and zipper to zip into a pair of pants. I hear the BRP Ski-Doo cloths is awesome, but I've never tried it.

While we are on the topic, a cold weather item for me is Oxford HotHands for my grips.

Hope that helps, ride safe and stay warm! If you or your fingers get cold, pull over and get warmed up - hot soup and chocolate works well!
    Cheers and all the best.

Spyder Garage

The need (or desire) for electric clothing really depends upon the temperature and duration of the ride. If I'm going to do much over 50 miles in temps below 40, I'll be using electric clothing and it will be turned on. I happen to use Gerbings, because it was the only thing available 6 years ago that I could find.

One danger of riding in cold is hypothermia (did I get that right?) where you get cold enough that you shiver, lose the ability to concentrate and your judgment is poor. That's when it's well past time to pull off the road and warm up. Another danger is a malfunction with heated gear. That can happen if a fuse blows or a heat controller goes bad, and I always bring enough extra clothes to stay warm if that happens.
    Dan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

what about gloves, what do you guys use????

Spyder Garage

I have a jacket and gloves from BMG (british motorcycle gear). Not cheap, but I have riden in sub 30 degree weather on my Vstom with no problem. I have not riden in the cold on the spyder yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

leatherup.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold Weather Riding

I have a Ski-Doo jacket and a heated vest. This combination keeps me warm to about 30 deg. I would like to get a complete suit but my OEM cigarette lighter only supports 3-Amps. Those full suits need about 90-100Watts which means they need 100/12 or about 9 Amps. I plan on installing a lighter socket that runs back to the battery as a separate circuit with separate fuse. That's the only way I can see to get 90W without burning up the wires.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Recommended by spyderlovers

Gerbing heated...I went to their "outlet" link and got all at 1/2 price...wonderful stuff...keeps me ryding even in 40 degree weather....

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I have a Ski-Doo jacket and a heated vest. This combination keeps me warm to about 30 deg. I would like to get a complete suit but my OEM cigarette lighter only supports 3-Amps. Those full suits need about 90-100Watts which means they need 100/12 or about 9 Amps. I plan on installing a lighter socket that runs back to the battery as a separate circuit with separate fuse. That's the only way I can see to get 90W without burning up the wires.
    While the RS accessory circuit is wired and fused for 3 amps, the RT trunk outlet (and spare front trunk wiring) is wired and fused for 10 amps. Nevertheless, I recommend just running a pigtail straight to the battery...or adding an Eastern Beaver or other accessory fuse block and wiring to that. Don't forget to keep your gear unplugged or turned off if you use an unswitched outlet, like the RT cigarette outlet, the extra current draw when starting is not a good thing.

Spyder Garage

You can't beat the Firstgear Thermosuit for price, fit, or wearability. But it's not armored so you need Bohn Armor underneath. And I am not sure it has any real abrasion protection.

With an unlimited budget, the ultimate suit is the Rev'it. I think its far superior to the old Aerostitch's they still sell.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

After almost 30 years, I finally had to replace my Hondaline winter suit. This is what I went with this time. A lot of bang for the buck.
    http://www.newenough.com/street/suit...ycle_suit.html
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

Default Cold gear

For anti fog, I've put a Fog City shield insert, works fantastic, $21.00. On my hands, leather ski mittens, warm as toast $25.00, add liners if 35 or below. Legs are under ski pants, $30 at Dick's. I use the Firstgear suit for 35 and below, best $160.oo I've ever spent. Stay warm, ride safe.

Spyder Garage

Have to agree about the Tourmaster. For the price they include a lot of great features. The only reason I didn't keep mine was for me it was really hard to get in and out of. I felt like I need a dresser like an astronaut. lol
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black