Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicking noise

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clicking noise

Greetings to all!

I got to ryde Charlotte today to work (FUN!). It was casual day, so I got to wear jeans, which (to me) I needed to ryde.

It was foggy - the air smelled so good, and I got fairly wet (who knew?), but I have a question...

On the way in, I heard a clicking noise when I was going slow enough (50ish and below). As the speed went up, so did the clicking, and when I put it in neutral, it went away. I checked the tyres, and didn't see anything obvious (it was almost like when we put cards in the bike spokes as kids, just not as noisy).

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow, but I wondered it anyone knew. I know I depend on all of youse guys.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default me too!

Me too...

I think it may be more of a bearing issue, from reading some of the thread (thank you for that, by the way).

It reminds me more of the sound we use to make on our bicycles (playing card attached with a clothespin).

I'll call the dealer tomorrow. I really like them, so hopefully they will be able to help with this. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Spyder Garage

check lug nuts mine did the same thing some were loose

Spyder Garage

wroom.... woooshhh.... click.

wrooom woooooshhh.... click.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi jenmom,

Wish I could help with the noise but I don't have many ideas what it could be. I would try pushing it in neutral to see if I could hear anything at that speed and I think I would look closely at the belt to see if it might have a rock or something hung in it. Other than that, I don't know.

Mainly, I wanted to say that it's good to see you posting and riding again. I had not seen a post from you in quite a while. Hope you get the noise problem solved and it doesn't cost a bunch.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jenmom22 View Post
    Me too...

I think it may be more of a bearing issue, from reading some of the thread (thank you for that, by the way).

It reminds me more of the sound we use to make on our bicycles (playing card attached with a clothespin).

I'll call the dealer tomorrow. I really like them, so hopefully they will be able to help with this. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Hard to believe that bearing noise would go away by putting it in neutral. It is more likely a power train issue if being in gear makes a difference.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Hard to believe that bearing noise would go away by putting it in neutral. It is more likely a power train issue if being in gear makes a difference.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
    Besides, usually when a bearing starts to fail it'll make a Humming
    and or a grinding sound. Sometimes it will change pitch when you let off the gas.

Spyder Garage

Clicking is almost always a bad bearing. Sometimes if there is no load on it the noise will go away but not for long as the bearing gets worst. A belt rubbing on the side can cause that noise too and it's not a bad idea to check your counter sprocket while you're at it. Hope it's not a big deal.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Take your front brakes apart and clean them. Both my spyders do this. If you're just idling along you can hear the click. Once i clean them it's all good for a few months.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Take your front brakes apart and clean them. Both my spyders do this. If you're just idling along you can hear the click. Once i clean them it's all good for a few months.
    My fronts do this also, come and goes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Stupid suggestion here... Are there any small stones or debris lodged in the tire treads? Once in a while my truck'll sound awful 'til I do a cleanout...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Stupid suggestion here... Are there any small stones or debris lodged in the tire treads? Once in a while my truck'll sound awful 'til I do a cleanout...
    Rock in tire will not go away by putting it into neutral. As Lamont says, a bad bearing might make noise under load and quit when unloaded. But not for very long.

It is fun to guess and then find out what the real problem was. My guess is the countershaft sprocket...but I'm almost always wrong. Still, this gives Lamont one more thing to rag on me about. And that makes me feel like I have purpose!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bad... I missed that in the original description...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    My bad... I missed that in the original description...
    Not really bad, another possibility for someone with a clicking noise to check out. Just probably not going to help here. But every bit of info is usefull sometime.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe it wasn't a complete waste of time then... I misread the original post... I'll blame it on old eyes...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I got home late enough to not be able to look at it much (I hate the fact it gets dark so fast now). I was able to at least run my finger on the underside of the belt, but of course, it would not be that obvious...

Tomorrow, I'll check. I don't want to ryde without knowing what the sound is, but I have a ryde scheduled for Sunday, with a bunch of Spyders.

If the sound stops when it is in neutral, it could a stone (because I was stopped at a light).

Thanks to Dudley for suggesting the stone last night - we talked for a bit. I'm hoping that is what this is.

Spyder Garage

I got home late enough to not be able to look at it much (I hate the fact it gets dark so fast now). I was able to at least run my finger on the underside of the belt, but of course, it would not be that obvious...

Tomorrow, I'll check. I don't want to ryde without knowing what the sound is, but I have a ryde scheduled for Sunday, with a bunch of Spyders.

If the sound stops when it is in neutral, it could a stone (because I was stopped at a light).

Thanks to Dudley for suggesting the stone last night - we talked for a bit. I'm hoping that is what this is.
    Wait---- so when you said it goes away when in neutral you were stopped at a light? I thought you meant it went away when you were in neutral but still moving--- coasting that is.

The question is----- does it only happen when you're moving then??

If so then it could be any of the aforementioned problems ---- rock in belt --- rock in tire --- bad bearing--- belt rubbing --- front sprocket loose----

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Well, that little bit of information changes everything!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Well, that little bit of information changes everything!
    You think!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Greetings to all!

I got to ryde Charlotte today to work (FUN!). It was casual day, so I got to wear jeans, which (to me) I needed to ryde.

It was foggy - the air smelled so good, and I got fairly wet (who knew?), but I have a question...

On the way in, I heard a clicking noise when I was going slow enough (50ish and below). As the speed went up, so did the clicking, and when I put it in neutral, it went away. I checked the tyres, and didn't see anything obvious (it was almost like when we put cards in the bike spokes as kids, just not as noisy).

I am going to call the dealership tomorrow, but I wondered it anyone knew. I know I depend on all of youse guys.

Is the noise coming from the front or back of your Spyder?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know this may sound stupid but maybe someone snuck up on you and put a card and clothespin on one of your wheels.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    I know this may sound stupid but maybe someone snuck up on you and put a card and clothespin on one of your wheels.
    That's it!

It went away (I thought) when I rode up to meet the Spyders ride yesterday. We rode up the hills (lots of twists) for about 8 or miles, and then stopped for gas. When I was slowly down to stop at a pump, I could hear it again.

We decided to go ahead and ride (about 100 miles more), and maybe because it was loud (I hit 70mph in some places!!!), I just didn't hear it.

I need to call Kelley (dealership), maybe just bring her in sooner than tha 600 miles (I have 483 miles on her now), and we'll figure it out.

I'll let ya'll know! Oh - it was a GREAT ride -cold, but absolutely great to be able to ride with 2 other Spyders.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's it!

It went away (I thought) when I rode up to meet the Spyders ride yesterday. We rode up the hills (lots of twists) for about 8 or miles, and then stopped for gas. When I was slowly down to stop at a pump, I could hear it again.

We decided to go ahead and ride (about 100 miles more), and maybe because it was loud (I hit 70mph in some places!!!), I just didn't hear it.

I need to call Kelley (dealership), maybe just bring her in sooner than tha 600 miles (I have 483 miles on her now), and we'll figure it out.

I'll let ya'll know! Oh - it was a GREAT ride -cold, but absolutely great to be able to ride with 2 other Spyders.

It's your front brakes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Why would it be the front brakes? It's clicking as I move. Do you think the brakes are rubbing? I think I would have smelled that...

I can check them when I get home tonight (open to any and suggestions).