Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Better check your fuel filter!

I had a bit of a surprise when I went for a ride this morning. I started it, went in the house to put on my jacket and helmet, and by the time I got back out to the garage I had a large puddle of fuel on the floor below the spyder. I immediately shut it off and pulled the panels. After cleaning up the fuel, I started it again to see where the fuel was coming from. I found that the fuel filter was split at the seam. I went to the autoparts store and found a replacement. I'm just glad nothing burned to the ground! You all may want to check your filters.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hmm...interesting..!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Was this a BRP original part?
    Is this the same fuel filter used on ALL models?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    Was this a BRP original part?
    Is this the same fuel filter used on ALL models?
    It was the original fuel filter, so it was only approximately two years and 7k miles old. It shouldn't have failed in my opinion. I don't know if they ever changed part numbers or suppliers. Maybe someone else has more insight.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is very interesting indeed. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I know some people reported issues with the clamps on the fuel lines, but I think this is the first I have read of the actual fuel filter coming apart.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    That is very interesting indeed. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I know some people reported issues with the clamps on the fuel lines, but I think this is the first I have read of the actual fuel filter coming apart.
    Man me too! Many thanks for the 411. I have another issue with original equipment but will start another thread so I don't hijack this one. This is kinda important!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Glad you spotted it! Yours is the second I have heard of. Not a common problem, for sure. I had it on an aftermarket car filter, once. It would be hard to spot this one up front, but it does pay to take off the right side panel and check the filter, clamps, and hoses periodically. Some folks have had loose or leaking clamps, and a couple of us with early Spyders had fuel hoses wearing through on the head.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    Well the filter in the photo below is what I'm planning on using with my aux fuel cell perhaps I'll order two and throw the stock one away.
    That sounds like a good idea! This looks like a very nice piece. I may just have to find where to get one in my area!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    That shouldn't be difficult in CA. Any decent speed shop should carry or be able to get them. I'll be ordering mine from Summit Racing.
    Actually you are right. It gives me an excuse to wander into Gotelli's Speed Shop. Haven't been in there for quite a while. Should be fun!