Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Classic Indians (or Harleys) don't have "suicide shifters" They have tank mounted hand shifters. You are probably thinking of a "suicide clutch". These cycles didn't have that, either, unless they were modified...which many were. The standard clutch was a heel-toe foot clutch, that held position unless you moved it. If modified to have a spring return, so you held it down and let it out like a car clutch, it was called a "suicide clutch". Not that difficult, once you are used to them, although some variations of this modification were tricky. BTW, the most difficult thing for me to get used to on my old Indian was the left-hand throttle, combined with the right-hand, twist-grip spark retard.
    You are right Scotty. I am not well versed in the area of classic motorcycles. What I do know is that these bikes were pretty special! Needless to say I did not ride the Indians; I just admired them from afar!

The right handed throttle would reeeeelly throw me!! I mean literally! I suspect I would not stay on the bike for very long!!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Many reasons why mfg in the USA has tanked. Some are:

-Taxes on corporations (depending where you live - for example... CT is one of the most unfriendly business states in the Nation)

-Energy costs to make the product - For example, CT is 2nd highest in the nation for energy costs

-Through the years as people have demanded higher salaries, it's increased the price of everything

- organized labor
    That IMHO is the crux of the problem. We are our own worst enemy. The US has a widespread serious, if not fatal, ebbtide in manufacturing. Over the years, unions have been very successful in negotiating continuing increases in worker wages and I have to tip my hat to their success. However, it is exactly that success that has contributed to this ebbtide. As companies seek to increase their profit margins (afterall that's why they're in business), they are forced to find cheaper supplies and labor labor. As a result, we have priced ourselves out of the competition.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    That IMHO is the crux of the problem. We are our own worst enemy. The US has a widespread serious, if not fatal, ebbtide in manufacturing. Over the years, unions have been very successful in negotiating continuing increases in worker wages and I have to tip my hat to their success. However, it is exactly that success that has contributed to this ebbtide. As companies seek to increase their profit margins (afterall that's why they're in business), they are forced to find cheaper supplies and labor labor. As a result, we have priced ourselves out of the competition.
    EXACTLY! it's our downfall - we priced ourselves right out of competition.

Spyder Garage

What it comes down to is greed. It's not that these companies weren't making money when using US workers--- they just wanted to make MORE to keep the board and shareholders rolling in the green.... and they had the market flooded with cheaper foreign products which made it hard to compete.

So yes--- we are our own worst enemies----everyone wants everything dirt cheap -- and the big wigs want to pinch every last dime out of profit.

Had to go to a meeting at our local HD shop yesterday--- was hard pressed to find anything made in the US. Saw tags from Indonesia, Taiwan, India, China, etc.... Yeah $60 for a T-shirt that they had made in Indonesia for .25 ... unreal. Makes me sick.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The Spyder also has parts from Vietnam....

---------------------

The difficulty here is that this comes at a time when HD has threatened to close down their assembly plant in Wisconsin because they claim labor is too expensive. They employ 1,600 there.

How long will it be before they decide to use the cheap labor over there to ship parts back over here? They already have their lights and electronics made in Japan and China.....

HD makes more money from T-shirt sales alone than ALL other items (including bikes) they sell COMBINED---- and I guarantee those shirts are not made in the USA.

Sad sign of the times. Makes me sick.
    BRP take note of this and start loading up the tee's at your dealers. I for one have my share but theirs always room for one more.
    Hindle exhaust, Kewlmetal K&N intake + prefilter, Kuryakyn widow pegs, Kuryakyn grips, Madstad 20in. windshield, Juice Box, 02Modifier, Kewlmetal backrest and carrier, missing air dam, missing belt shield, 1" riser, Kewlmetal handlebar risers,Evoluzione sway bar, Street Magic/Day Runner Pucks, Glo Riders Amsoil, 10w40, Rons performance wires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What it comes down to is greed. It's not that these companies weren't making money when using US workers--- they just wanted to make MORE to keep the board and shareholders rolling in the green.... and they had the market flooded with cheaper foreign products which made it hard to compete.

So yes--- we are our own worst enemies----everyone wants everything dirt cheap -- and the big wigs want to pinch every last dime out of profit.

Had to go to a meeting at our local HD shop yesterday--- was hard pressed to find anything made in the US. Saw tags from Indonesia, Taiwan, India, China, etc.... Yeah $60 for a T-shirt that they had made in Indonesia for .25 ... unreal. Makes me sick.
    I bought a 1/2 helmet at the HD store in IL when we were there seeing our youngest graduate Naval Bootcamp - I did good - it was only $60 but that is RARE. It was on clearance. Probably an old style, who knows but I bought it. I spent good money on their FXRG stuff a few years back and it's warranty'd for 5 years and it's good stuff (not made in America though) but it keeps me very warm and dry. I would NEVER buy tshirts there though - yup, they want over $50 and the girl's stuff cost even more than the guy's stuff.

You even gotta watch what stuff you buy at the grocery store. Read the labels - especially if shopping in a discount store - I've read about toothpaste from China that has lead in it.

Yes, there is corporate greed, I agree with you on that but there's also global competition we have to compete with and we cannot afford to make the same stuff we used to make because it simply costs too much due to labor, taxation due to location for some states. It amazes me, all these kids who are gonna have major student loans due from the fancy colleges and no jobs for them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    The last American clothing manufacturer - with an ever growing workforce

http://www.prisonblues.com/default.htm
    Wonder how much their stuff is, couldn't find any pricing. But yeah, it's an ever growing workforce alright!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chillirider View Post
    Now when they say my bike is a rice burner I can tell them they ride a curry burner.
    I've had a few Hayabusa's-& Harleys--currently a 2007 Velocity Stage 2 Turbo. When they call it a rice burner I ask them to go for a comparison ride & "I'll fry their rice for them"
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Star Cruiser View Post
    I couldn't believe the CNN report but here it is.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...kes/index.html

Happy that the Spyder will still be made in America (North America).

Riding is like Meditation....

Humm Interesting...... I thought Spyder was manufactured in Quebec, and I heard Mexico.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Humm Interesting...... I thought Spyder was manufactured in Quebec, and I heard Mexico.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's great to see this post. Hope all is well with you Forrest.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Funny as hell .................. This post started back in 2010.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Enfields

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Aren't the Enfields built in India also? (have you looked at one of them?? build quality just ain't in their vocabulary!) If Harley is outsourcing to there I bid them goodbye and wish them well...
    Enfield is made in India, it started in WW2 when the factory in England could not keep up with the demand. After the war the factory was eventually sold to India holdings. And your right about the quality, it was not up to the post war Enfields that were sold in England in the fifties.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    The Spyder is built in North America with various parts from China.
    I'm guessing the windshield arm on the RTs are made in China.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Archeology is often best-left to the experts...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Recon View Post
    Can we call this a true merger between H-D and Indian????
    Now where will a find a "burka" to replace my helmet????
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Is that just your opinion or do you have some facts to back that up.

I have not had even one minor issue with my Harley. Granted it only has 20,000 miles on it and virtually none in the last two years since I got the Spyder. But from what I know (and sometimes that isn't much) and the people I know that own Harley's, they are not a troublesome machine and are very well built.
    65,000 on my Harley Ultra Classic and did not turn a screw. How many times have you had your Spyder in after 65,000 miles?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    UMM Quebec and Mexico ARE in N. America.
    Bob S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that Mexico was considered part of central America...

Spyder Garage

Default Demise of the middle class

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    Yes, let's do everything possible to eliminate the middle class. Have any you looked at what really drives the economic cycle in our wonderful country. Domestic consumerism makes up a large part of our economy. So let's pay everybody less and start a perpetual recession for the betterment of those at the top of economic pyramid. Also, let's give more power to Wall Street so they can stage anthor coup to destroy our country, economically. No one cares or seems to remember how close we came to destroying ourselves. No one even received punishment. But many Americans lost a substantial amount from their retirement accounts. Oh,well, why do I bother. Have a Merry Christmas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3-togo View Post
    Yes, let's do everything possible to eliminate the middle class. Have any you looked at what really drives the economic cycle in our wonderful country. Domestic consumerism makes up a large part of our economy. So let's pay everybody less and start a perpetual recession for the betterment of those at the top of economic pyramid. Also, let's give more power to Wall Street so they can stage anthor coup to destroy our country, economically. No one cares or seems to remember how close we came to destroying ourselves. No one even received punishment. But many Americans lost a substantial amount from their retirement accounts. Oh,well, why do I bother. Have a Merry Christmas.
    You get "Loopy", when you're hungry; eat a Snickers Bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPL...detailpage#t=8

This thread is so old, that virtually said seven years' ago; applies today...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-27-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

65,000 on my Harley Ultra Classic and did not turn a screw. How many times have you had your Spyder in after 65,000 miles?

Jack
    Jack---that's because all the screws fell out at 3000 miles :-)..In 1954 I was riding an Allis Chalmers & a Case + dually rear wheel box truck. I really miss milking those cows at 5:30AM in -20 degree weather. Best yet was letting them out of the barn in the Spring time & having them eat fresh grass===rear end gas explosions during milking--they could blow a stream for 10' easy--needed to walk with caution & run wihen tail raised.
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-27-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Since the thread originated in November of 2010...does anyone know if HD really went to India to have their machines built. I am thinking they are still alive and well in Milwaukee WI.

Good to re-read and see some of our friends who are no longer posting and even a couple that have passed on.

Welcome back Forrest.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Harley Davidson just signed a new win-win contract with their representing Unions.

They have been producing bikes in India for some time and successfully so. Probably right next door to the huge DELL COMPUTER world wide service center.

At heart, I am an isolationist. I could give a big poop about Globalization or income equality that somehow lowers our (American citizens) income and quality of life. Manufacture here and sell here and do so using American Citizens. This may be controversial but I could care less about DIVERSITY or multiculturalism. I really don't care where "WE" all came from 300 years ago or if the so called cradle of civilization was in South Africa, I'm talking about now. Celebrate your cultural pride in your own country but when you come here, become a 'Flag waving' American or just stay home and change your country to suit you. Don't change mine

You LIB's will say this sounds Racist since it your standard reply now but something has to be done to stop this Division of so called cultures and to stop these ANARCHIST from ruining this society.

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836