Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gettin' Really P.O.'d

Recall for the DPS came out 2 months ago. My dealer has a replacement module set aside for my 2008 RS but can't seem to get one for my 2010 RT. So far BRP has only sent my dealer 1 replacement RT module which they promptly changed out and sent back. None since then.

Dealer is exasperated with BRP too ... they've got 2 RT's on the showroom floor that they supposedly aren't allowed to sell since they don't have the new module. Dealer service manager says he's also pissed because supposedly BRP sent 150 modules to a dealer in Tennessee to get the rework done in volume ( probably cheaper due to volume ) during a Spyder rally ( Pidgeon Forge maybe ? ) or something like that.

So what's the real scoop from those " in the know " ?

Spyder Garage

I have been told same sad story by my local dealer...waiting on BRP as usual.
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Although I've had no major issue with the recalled unit (other than some steering notching under specific conditions) I too and disappointed-->angry with the response from the manufacturer. I have a constant position in line for the replacement with no movement since I got on the list.

Do I take it out on the dealer? Do I ignore the recall?

I'd be content just knowing where I stand as a customer and supporter.
    Sam Mancuso

Our "his and hers" Spyders. Read more about them at theotherwheel.com

Spyder Garage

Since I've had no problems steering wise I've chosen to just wait till I get a call from my dealer. My dealer is aware that I received the letter and I know for a fact that I'm on a waiting list.

I was told just about the same story. BRP sent them two RT-S DPS' and six RS DPS'. The dealer is supposed to "use up" those sent before they become eligible for more.

I'd certainly like to have mine done in that I'm having my Elka shocks installed at the same time.

Chris PE # 0004

Spyder Garage

Wink

who ever started this thread maybe we can do a poll on this

1. Waiting for DPS Recall RT
    2. Had Recall Done RT
    3. Waiting for DPS Recall RS
    4. Had Recall Done RS

just curious. dealer said DPS for RTs were slow to come in

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT DPS Recall

I am also waiting for a call for a DPS. Dealer has me on "the list" but no units yet for the RTs.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RS

I have not had any problems with the DPS so I waited to get on the list. I didn't want the Spyder out of service at all until the weather got bad. My dealer told me they only got two units. I knew they were small but at 10% of sales they are real small. The dealer is having an "Ultimate Playground open house event" this weekend. I will see where on the list I am after 4 weeks.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

No problem here had mine switched out even before I had the official recall notice . Just used the recall notice Lamont posted .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Don't worry a lot of us are still waiting, and Spyder riding season is just starting. I'm sure they will get to us as soon as possible.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Had mine done earlier this month. Dealer had two RT and many RS DPS units. Guess I got lucky.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

My wife just picked hers up today so now both are done. She never had any issues with it but said it seems to be more sensitive. She had no problems controlling it at highway speeds in some very strong winds!
    Last edited by Rando; 10-27-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Extremely Poor Communication & Business Practices

I can deal with BAD news ..... but I have a serious problem dealing with NO news. At a minimum, they should at least be able to project and relay to each dealer an approximate ( say " week of " ) time frame that they will be available. If I had a customer or client that had a problem directly caused by my product ... and I told them " Who knows... ", " No idea... " or " Look for it when you see it ... " , I wouldn't be in business very long - ESPECIALLY if it was an issue that could negatively affect their health and safety.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fleet View Post
    I can deal with BAD news ..... but I have a serious problem dealing with NO news. At a minimum, they should at least be able to project and relay to each dealer an approximate ( say " week of " ) time frame that they will be available. If I had a customer or client that had a problem directly caused by my product ... and I told them " Who knows... ", " No idea... " or " Look for it when you see it ... " , I wouldn't be in business very long - ESPECIALLY if it was an issue that could negatively affect their health and safety.
    Amen. I went to the dealer to find out what was going on. I had called to get on the list the day after Gatlinburg and was told I was no. 18. Well guess where I am now.....18. They have gotten no more units in after the first 4 they go for their inventory. I find it hard to understand this. The dealer has gotten nothing from BRP. Over a month and nothing. This is crap.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I guess I was lucky, mine was in the shop for the clutch. I wasn't having any problems with it, so I waited. While it was in the shop waiting parts, the steering recall showed up. Since they had the parts, they went ahead and knocked it out. I waited 9 weeks to get my Spyder back. So you guys who are still riding and waiting for parts, you could be sitting or caging and waiting for parts. If you aren't having any steering issues, enjoy your ride.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dealer called and did a fix before I got the letter.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had mine done at Good Times while on the rally. They had or had done 31 when I got mine done. With and oil change it took almost 5 hours and cost $192 and change. The difference was almost little or nothing from before only after it was done I could now really make the understeering front end turn with little or no effort on my part? Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There really seems to be a huge inconsistency in how these units are being doled out... Here's the question... Are the dealers telling the complete truth about where these DPS units are going? Are they swapping out on their floor stock first, or taking care of their riding customers? (It's easy to blame the next guy down the line who isn't there to defend himself.)
    I called my dealer the frist week of September and was #4 on the RT list... got mine done at the end of October ahd have been very happy with the results...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There really seems to be a huge inconsistency in how these units are being doled out... Here's the question... Are the dealers telling the complete truth about where these DPS units are going? Are they swapping out on their floor stock first, or taking care of their riding customers? (It's easy to blame the next guy down the line who isn't there to defend himself.)
    I called my dealer the frist week of September and was #4 on the RT list... got mine done at the end of October ahd have been very happy with the results...

I know there has been some supply issues from time to time but why one dealer can make a phone call and get one in two days and another dealer can seem to tell their customer when they will get one makes me think it's more of a dealer thing than a BRP thing.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

My dealer got 3 units in initally and I was the first to have it done at his dealership. He was a bit worried because BRP based the number of initial units to each dealer based on the number of Spyders they sold and he said he had a much greater number of Spyder customers than units sold because people who had org. purchased their unit somewhere else were comming to him for all their service. Anyway, got mine done and noticed no difference but I had not had any problems prior to recall. Good luck guys. Perhaps you'll be lucky enough not to have any problems and end up having the Spyder down for the DPS recall during some really snowy wheather.

Spyder Garage

I received the recall letter, the day I left for Spyders in the Smokies. I was only home a couple days and the dealer said, I was number six on list. I went to the GWRRA Rally in Tupelo, MS, came back and called, Spyder in shor right now, recall done. I was told a Dealer would get five at a time, do the rcall and send the five back and get five more.

I had no problems with the steering on my RT.

Godd luck you all
    Old Man Zues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

I know there has been some supply issues from time to time but why one dealer can make a phone call and get one in two days and another dealer can seem to tell their customer when they will get one makes me think it's more of a dealer thing than a BRP thing.

I have had numerous discussions with my dealer reqarding this issue. They have absolutely no incentive dragging this out or delaying the recall service. ESPECIALLY since I told them that I was going to go ahead and preorder a white 2011 Limited RT when I brought both my Spyders in to get the recall work completed. So Lamonster, who do I need to call at BRP to get the straight scoop ? Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

My dealer is one of those complaining. They are not making excuses to me, so I believe they are sincere. They got 10% in the first shipment...eight RS units and one for an RT. They changed those out and sent them back. They are not getting the turn around times that BRP boasted about, so while they have recieved enough to satisfy the demand and have a couple of RS units available, the still have no spare RT units, having repaired just a couple of them so far. I'm sure there are some difficulties with dealers, and some with shipping and customs, but there are evidently difficulties on the supply end, too. I wonder if BRP is getting what their supplier originally promised?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... I wonder if BRP is getting what their supplier originally promised?
    Scotty... I thought I saw something here a week or three ago about delays due to quality control issues.

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I emailed Tech support today with this issue. We'll see what their response is.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Scotty... I thought I saw something here a week or three ago about delays due to quality control issues.

I did too, but I have not been able to verify that. My dealer is in the dark. They were hoping I knew something.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!