Spyder Garage

Question Evoluzione Sway Bar - Info Needed

Alright, I have reached my stress limits and can't take anymore. I need to upgrade the Front Sway Bar on my RT-S as since I am now ryding many times "two-up" with my new lady friend (pampchic43). More and more, I am discovering how "under sprung" this bike really is. I am considering the Evoluzione Sway Bar along with the Elka Shocks (later) as I cannot tolerate the "roll" I get each and every time I go into a turn or corner. I have the stock shocks set on the upper limit of 5 and am running the front tires at around 21 psi (cold). I have yet to have the DPS replaced as my local dealer says they cannot get the replacement out of BRP yet (another story)!

Have any of you replaced your stock sway bar with the Evoluzione Sway Bar or any other manufacturers? Does it make a difference? Please advise any information/feedback as I am getting mad each time I ryde anymore that I spent $26k + for a "performance" machine that cannot take a corner.
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. SpyderRider

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Default Evo Sway bar

The sway bar (I was told by an un named trusted source) will cure about 70% of the roll issue. My RS is in the shop for the 6000 mile, O2 and swaybar installation and will get it back early next week. I will provide you with a full report once I evaluate the upgrade.

Spyder Garage

From the posts I have read ,your money is better spent on the shocks as the sway bar gave superior results on the RS .
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile YES!

It really does help!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar

I did the same thing with tire pressure and front shocks set at highest setting. I purchased the Evoluzone sway bar and it helped tremendously. I have set the front tire pressure back to 15 PSI and lowered the front shocks back 1 notch. I run 28 PSI in the rear tire also. I really enjoy riding the bike now. We ride 2 up 99.9% of the time. We have the storage compartments full of rain gear and warm clothes as it is cooling down up here. Nothing that heavy I know but it is gret to drive.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Just a request, if you post about the swaybar, please indicate what model you are using it on. It seems to work well on the RS models, not so well on the RT models.

Dwight

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by New Sharon Spyder View Post
    I did the same thing with tire pressure and front shocks set at highest setting. I purchased the Evoluzone sway bar and it helped tremendously. I have set the front tire pressure back to 15 PSI and lowered the front shocks back 1 notch. I run 28 PSI in the rear tire also. I really enjoy riding the bike now. We ride 2 up 99.9% of the time. We have the storage compartments full of rain gear and warm clothes as it is cooling down up here. Nothing that heavy I know but it is gret to drive.
    Thanks for the response! Is your Spyder an RT or RS?

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    Just a request, if you post about the swaybar, please indicate what model you are using it on. It seems to work well on the RS models, not so well on the RT models.

Dwight
    I am a recent Spyder owner, and installed the Evoluzione Sway Bar on my RT a week ago because the Spyder made me very nervous with the feeling of diving into the curves.
    What a difference now.... I cant say about the RS but I can tell you it makes a huge difference on an RT. I feel that I can safely go into most curves at a faster pace than I even considered before. I really dont think I need to change the shocks but may feel the need after I get more experience on the Spyder.

One $$ tip, buy them through eBay, and use the "Make an Offer" basis to get a better price...
    Last edited by cjackg; 05-31-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

looking at Sharon Spyder profile:
    Current Ride is listed as: 2010 Spyder RT, Silver M5 w/audio

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    looking at Sharon Spyder profile:
    Current Ride is listed as: 2010 Spyder RT, Silver M5 w/audio
    Thanks clueless...didn't even think to look there!

It appears that most whom have installed the Evoluzione Sway Bar on the RT's see a big difference!

~ Thomas Jefferson

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRider View Post
    Alright, I have reached my stress limits and can't take anymore. I need to upgrade the Front Sway Bar on my RT-S as since I am now ryding many times "two-up" with my new lady friend (pampchic43). More and more, I am discovering how "under sprung" this bike really is. I am considering the Evoluzione Sway Bar along with the Elka Shocks (later) as I cannot tolerate the "roll" I get each and every time I go into a turn or corner. I have the stock shocks set on the upper limit of 5 and am running the front tires at around 21 psi (cold). I have yet to have the DPS replaced as my local dealer says they cannot get the replacement out of BRP yet (another story)!

Have any of you replaced your stock sway bar with the Evoluzione Sway Bar or any other manufacturers? Does it make a difference? Please advise any information/feedback as I am getting mad each time I ryde anymore that I spent $26k + for a "performance" machine that cannot take a corner.
    I am a passenger on the Spyder RT. I love the sway, the Spyder was meant to sway, that is the Fun of it. When you go around a curve you lean with it, sorta like a snow mobile, no fun just sitting there like a lump on a log, get with the move of the machine. Its a blast. Unless you want to sleep.

Spyder Garage

Have any of you replaced your stock sway bar with the Evoluzione Sway Bar or any other manufacturers? Does it make a difference?
    I have replaced the stock shocks with Elka's. I have replaced the stock swaybar with Evoluzione's and I did the DPS Recall thing.

The current handling of my RT is like night-and-day. I would say go ahead and get the swaybar and replace the shocks as soon as you can afford it.

I am going to head down to the Dragon in March or April to test out my new suspension.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xena View Post
    I am a passenger on the Spyder RT. I love the sway, the Spyder was meant to sway, that is the Fun of it. When you go around a curve you lean with it, sorta like a snow mobile, no fun just sitting there like a lump on a log, get with the move of the machine. Its a blast. Unless you want to sleep.
    xena,

With all due respect, maybe it is a thrill to you but I, along with many other Spyder owners do not, especially when based on the rather poor suspension the RT comes with stock, it presents a vary harrowing ryde. I have been riding motorcycles for 45+ years and they don't sway in corners, my trick Ford F150 Harley-Davidson truck doesn't sway in corners, and I don't want my Spyder to sway and rock in corners, nor for that matter in the wake of a big rig truck wash/wake. I want a machine to handle accordingly each time I ryde it, not will it under/over steer this time or next. I think all of the other ryders here whom have upgraded their shocks and sway bars attest to the fact that once again these are new concept vehicles and BRP has yet to work out the bugs in them.

~ Thomas Jefferson

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

xena,

With all due respect, maybe it is a thrill to you but I, along with many other Spyder owners do not, especially when based on the rather poor suspension the RT comes with stock, it presents a vary harrowing ryde. I have been riding motorcycles for 45+ years and they don't sway in corners, my trick Ford F150 Harley-Davidson truck doesn't sway in corners, and I don't want my Spyder to sway and rock in corners, nor for that matter in the wake of a big rig truck wash/wake. I want a machine to handle accordingly each time I ryde it, not will it under/over steer this time or next. I think all of the other ryders here whom have upgraded their shocks and sway bars attest to the fact that once again these are new concept vehicles and BRP has yet to work out the bugs in them.
    SpyderRider, I have been riding as a passenger for 35+ years and have never had such a thrill. If you want to think old you will be old, ya gotta move if you want to enjoy life, some people just want to vegetate, that is not my bag. I am very happy the way the RT handles and hope BRP does not change anything. Evidently there are a lot of older people that cannot adapt to the swaying. I can understand that. You have to learn to adapt when you are riding 2 up. Maybe you should have gotten an RS.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have to say this. I'm 78 with my left leg missing. Have an RT that has 11,200 some miles on it. Went on a 2800 mile trip in May thru snow, wind, rain, mtns, desert, twisties, freeways and back roads. Four Harleys and me. Handled great. Held my own with the others. My only complaint is gas mileage, squawk in reverse and not being able to "just turn on the key" and start up!!! Everything else is great!!! Oh yes, also had an 2009 Spyder that was not bad!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xena View Post
    SpyderRider, I have been riding as a passenger for 35+ years and have never had such a thrill. If you want to think old you will be old, ya gotta move if you want to enjoy life, some people just want to vegetate, that is not my bag. I am very happy the way the RT handles and hope BRP does not change anything. Evidently there are a lot of older people that cannot adapt to the swaying. I can understand that. You have to learn to adapt when you are riding 2 up. Maybe you should have gotten an RS.
    Hey Xena,

FYI, I am a very active 52 year old whom rides his Honda Valkyrie Interstate thru twisties that would make most folks hair to curl and fall out scraping the pegs as I go along (I would not say that is vegetating!). In addition, I have had it up to 140 mph, as well as my Spyder to 110 so far. My Ford F-150 Ford SuperCharged Harley-Davidson truck does 150 quite easily sitting in the leather bucket seats (no rockers here).

Lastly, BRP HAS CHANGED the RT Spyder for 2011 with stiffer shocks and suspension. Obviously, something is wrong here with the ryde. Motorcycles should "lean" into corners, Spyders should not "roll" into the corners as they have been well documented doing so!

~ Thomas Jefferson

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

I started with the EVO Swaybar and it is good for 1 up riding but 2 up does get body roll because of the added weight. My RT really came to life after I added the Elka Shocks with dampening and compression adjustments. The EVO bar on the RT is the same thickness but the end links connect closer to the center. The EVO swaybar worked perfectly on the GS/RS but the RT/RTS are much heavier. Getting back to the Elkas, I think they are better or should I say the 2011 shocks won't give you the adjustability that the Elkas do. Good Luck on your choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    I started with the EVO Swaybar and it is good for 1 up riding but 2 up does get body roll because of the added weight. My RT really came to life after I added the Elka Shocks with dampening and compression adjustments. The EVO bar on the RT is the same thickness but the end links connect closer to the center. The EVO swaybar worked perfectly on the GS/RS but the RT/RTS are much heavier. Getting back to the Elkas, I think they are better or should I say the 2011 shocks won't give you the adjustability that the Elkas do. Good Luck on your choice.
    Thanks Tonga,

I think I am just going to go for broke and get both the EVO and the Elka's. I am tired of the poor ryde the stock set-up provides.

~ Thomas Jefferson

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile YES!!

Mine is a 2008 SE5. Bar did help a lot with body lean!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Amen

I am having the same issue with getting the recall done on my RTS,,dealer says he can't get the new DPS Mod.from BRP....I Know I have read all the post where guys are saying it should not be a problem,but I am at the mercy of my dealer who I do like and believe,,,,I have been thinking about the sway bar also,,,just don't want to spend more money on something that might work,,,,,,I love the RTS,,,,I have tried all the suggestions on shock setting and tire press.,,,all is well until you have to react quickly to a situation,then is when it becomes a issue..... I'm not a new rider,,,been riding for 50 yrs.so I feel I do have a little idea of how these things should handle....

Spyder Garage

Well I ordered the Evoluzione Sway Bar and the Elka Shocks today. As soon as I get them installed, I'll give a report back. I called John from Elka direct and spoke to the needs of my being 6'5" and 260 lbs, plus the occasional 2 up ryding with my fiancée (pampchic43), and other gear. They are creating me a shock at 325 lbs per SqIn. Should be interesting going forward!

~ Thomas Jefferson

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Hey Xena,

FYI, I am a very active 52 year old whom rides his Honda Valkyrie Interstate thru twisties that would make most folks hair to curl and fall out scraping the pegs as I go along (I would not say that is vegetating!). In addition, I have had it up to 140 mph, as well as my Spyder to 110 so far. My Ford F-150 Ford SuperCharged Harley-Davidson truck does 150 quite easily sitting in the leather bucket seats (no rockers here).

Lastly, BRP HAS CHANGED the RT Spyder for 2011 with stiffer shocks and suspension. Obviously, something is wrong here with the ryde. Motorcycles should "lean" into corners, Spyders should not "roll" into the corners as they have been well documented doing so!
    Don't forget the Cuba, MO event ( Spyderfest ) in the last of Apr 2011. You will have, I am sure an opportunity for performance testing...as well as having a lot of FUN.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Don't forget the Cuba, MO event ( Spyderfest ) in the last of Apr 2011. You will have, I am sure an opportunity for performance testing...as well as having a lot of FUN.
    Yepper pepper! Janice and I have it on our radar screen!

~ Thomas Jefferson

Spyder Garage

Default 2009 RS

Got the bike back after the 6000 mile service + installation of EVO swaybar. Let's just say that that the Spyder now handles like it should.

Get one.

BTW, the Steibel horn is nice also.

Spyder Garage

Good news! I can't wait to get my new suspension in there! I also have a Stebel Nautilus Air-horn I am going to install as well!

Great minds at work!!!

~ Thomas Jefferson