Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool First impressions of Elka

Let me start with the back ground. When I called John to order he asked what your riding style is and how much you weigh.
    Well when I’m alone sometimes I like to ride spiritedly as well as when I’m with my gal. Otherwise we just like to cruise and enjoy the view. John said that is how 90% of his customer say they ride. I’m 5.6” and soaking wet with boots and full of BBQ weigh in at 150 lbs.
    I went with the one-way shock set up. As you know that is the 10 inch spring that when compressed 1 inch you get 300 lbs preload. Mine came compressed 8.5 inches, 450 lbs preload.
    To hold the two shocks, BRP- ELKA, side by side you see what you are paying for. The ELKA stands out quality and performance. The BRP looks and feels like a toy. Not to knock BRP, I love my machine. I just did not like the body roll.
    Install was no big deal; the second went faster than the first, as it always does. The install did lift the front suspension’s center of gravity height by 1 and ¼ inch. My head lights needed to be adjusted as they were in the sky. Not cool.
    I come from the world of high performance; my other bike is a 05 Hayabusa
    The thing with the RT for me is that in corners I had to constantly make small adjustments, on the interstates the big rig’s air blast would make the RT wallow. As I did not know any better I just thought that the RT needed constant adjustment.
    Now with the ELKA’s I can say I feel that in the corners the front of the RT feels planted, I pick my line and it sticks. I feel more confident, no more small adjustments. It sticks.
    Same with the jet blast from trucks. Better feel.
    Now there is always a trade off in the world of performance, I now have a much stiffer ride, some may say harsh. I have not played with the rebound as of yet. It came set on 25 out of 50. I am use to a performance machine so it does not bother me much.
    I may play with the compression and back off the spring to 9 inch.
    The one thing I did not get out off the ELKA that I really wanted is to get rid of the body roll all together. I guess what I thought would happen is not possible. But as I said the RT now sticks the front end.
    All an all would I recommend the ELKA shocks to any fellow Spyderlovers. $700.00 plus dollars is a lot of money, but even the entry level RT is big $$ so 7 bones is about right for quality shocks. That said ,I like them.
    Last edited by canam9; 10-19-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spel

Spyder Garage

Question

Thanks for the review.... we're right on the verge of ordering them but have been holding off, waiting for the reports on the Elkas to start rolling in.

We've also considered Works Performance, but that's a bigger chunk of change, and we're not sure it'd matter in our situation.

Asking for your opinion (and others) here, would you recommend the same set up (one way/300# preload) for ryding 2 up on the RT?

We're planning to install the Elkas on the RT, and put the RT's OEM on the RS.

Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi Cat, yes I would dare say you two would like them. I have read your post and as much riding you both do I think you will feel and like the performance you get and for the kind of riding we do "Fun Touring!" As we have yet to hear any thing on the other shocks "Works" other then they cost more. As you say will it be worth more $ if you are not a racer.
    Last edited by canam9; 10-19-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: more

Spyder Garage

The Elkas were going to be my next purchase. I have the exact condision you had on interstate merges and trucks. Glade to here you describe it that way. I may also get the swaybar upgrade if to much of the body roll is still there. I asume you left them on 8 1/2" preload since you said you might back them off to 9". I also came from a performance background and would trade handling for harsh ride any day.

States We Have Been To On Our Spyder

My mods: Green filter, Air box mod., Muzzy exhaust, Cat Bypass, Exhaust Heat Wraped, Powder coated all Bare Metal surfaces, Capt. Jim`s Belt Tensioner, Custom Built Highway Pegs, Elka front shocks, RS-S rear shock, 2011 smaller windshield, Dynojet PowercommanderV & Autotune, NGK iridiom DCPR9IEX spark plugs, Maxxis MA-Z4S Victra rear tire, General Altimax HP 185/60R14 front tires, Corbin seat & backrest, BRP hitch. I need to stop!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stripperking View Post
    The Elkas were going to be my next purchase. I have the exact condision you had on interstate merges and trucks. Glade to here you describe it that way. I may also get the swaybar upgrade if to much of the body roll is still there. I asume you left them on 8 1/2" preload since you said you might back them off to 9". I also came from a performance background and would trade handling for harsh ride any day.
    I kept the 8 1/2" as you say it is worth the trade for me any day. I have read that the sway bar did not make a good up grade. It just did not make a big diff. The shocks do make a noticeable differance.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Thanks!!!!

Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ride height...

"...The install did lift the front suspension’s center of gravity height by 1 and ¼ inch. My head lights needed to be adjusted as they were in the sky."

Do you know why ELKA didn't design the shock so that ride height was unchanged at the typical spring rate?

As to ride height when adding a passenger, I found no change whatsoever with the WP shocks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Pricing is driving by adjustability...

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnCat View Post
    Thanks for the review.... we're right on the verge of ordering them but have been holding off, waiting for the reports on the Elkas to start rolling in.

We've also considered Works Performance, but that's a bigger chunk of change, and we're not sure it'd matter in our situation.

Asking for your opinion (and others) here, would you recommend the same set up (one way/300# preload) for ryding 2 up on the RT?

We're planning to install the Elkas on the RT, and put the RT's OEM on the RS.

Cat
    If you need a simpler shock with fewer adjustments, WP has a shock at the same or better price point than ELKA. And you won't have to fuss with ride height when installed, as all their RT applications were developed on the bike and measured so as to maintain the stock ride height. Call Tom Edison at WP for pricing and options.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Smile

I to have the Elkas and have the 300 lb springs, a must for the RT/RTS. Mine were at 9 inch compressed but are now at 8 5/8 inch and it lifts the front end 1 1/2 inches higher then stock but with no ill effects. The firm ride helps in the turns (Curves) and allows a more comfortable 2 up riding experience for the spirited/sport driver. The OEM shocks were terrible. Yes to adjusting the rebound more then the 25 clicks as I am at 33 clicks right now but am still in the experimental stage. Elkas are worth the money in my eyes.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ryder View Post
    If you need a simpler shock with fewer adjustments, WP has a shock at the same or better price point than ELKA. And you won't have to fuss with ride height when installed, as all their RT applications were developed on the bike and measured so as to maintain the stock ride height. Call Tom Edison at WP for pricing and options.
    Sounds like you got it all figured out, I guess WP is the way to go. So what is Tom's number?
    Last edited by canam9; 10-19-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

I don't think you can go wrong with the WP's or the Elkas. I have the Elkas with the 300lb springs at 9". Works good but it won't cure the body roll. I also have the sway bar and don't notice a difference when two up, does seem to help with one up. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about the rear shock, just lost another one this weekend (this will be the 4th replacement).

Dwight
    Last edited by Dwight; 10-20-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
    I don't think you can go wrong with the WP's or the Elkas. I have the Elkas with the 300lb springs at 9". Works good but it won't cure the body roll. I also have the sway bar and don't notice a difference when two up, does seem to help with one up. Now I'm trying to decide what to do about the rear shock, just lost another one this weekend (this will be the 4th replacement).

Dwight
    Dang, 4th one, thats just not right. What are they saying could be eating up the rear shock over and over?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dwight
    Body Roll?? Whats that. Do you have compression & rebound adjustments on your Elkas? Mine do and my RT does not have any body roll. It did at first till I dialed up the adjustments.

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
    Spyder Garage

Dwight
    I have just had my 5th rear shock fitted and BRP (Australia) say that there is no problem because only three bikes have had the relpaced here.

I do believe that there are many rider out there that do not know that their rear shock has lost it's rebound damping because of the affect of the airbag.
    Folks, bounce your bike at the back and if it returns to the top of it's travel with a metallic clunk, your rear shock is toast and you should have it replaced under warranty.
    Cheers
    Bob
    Time & Temp in South of OZ.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Did the Elka's get rid of the annoying bounce to the front end? My front end bounces so much it looks like I'm flashing my highbeams constantly. People have actually pulled over when I'm following them thinking I'm trying to tell them something is wrong with their vehicle.
    I met another RT the other day and I could tell what it was from half a mile the way his headlights were bouncing around.
    John

2010 Spyder RT-S
    2010 Yamaha vMax
    2009 Yamaha vMax Dragbike, 284 RWHP 171# RWTQ
    2004 Yamaha vMax Supercharged
    1993 Yamaha GTS1000
    1999 Shelby Series 1 Supercharged
    1969 Camaro 502/T56
    1967 Shelby TransAm Mustang
    1966 427 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 289 Shelby Street Cobra
    1965 427 Shelby Comp Cobra
    1964 289 Shelby Comp Cobra
    Way Too Many Others

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CSX4350 View Post
    Did the Elka's get rid of the annoying bounce to the front end? My front end bounces so much it looks like I'm flashing my highbeams constantly. People have actually pulled over when I'm following them thinking I'm trying to tell them something is wrong with their vehicle.
    I met another RT the other day and I could tell what it was from half a mile the way his headlights were bouncing around.
    Maybe you should check the rear shock, I would almost bet money that it is the back bouncing and not the front.
    Once again, step on the running board, hold the passenger grip and bounce the bike. If the bounce clunks at the top of its travel, the rear shock is shot and needs replacing.
    Time & Temp in South of OZ.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SC92 View Post
    Maybe you should check the rear shock, I would almost bet money that it is the back bouncing and not the front.
    Once again, step on the running board, hold the passenger grip and bounce the bike. If the bounce clunks at the top of its travel, the rear shock is shot and needs replacing.
    I Agree. That happened to me. Mt rear shock lost dampening and the front end did bounce. I also have Ekas on the front and with the adjustments have fine tuned it to make my RT Just right. Good Luck.

RT-S SE PE#0192
    Spyder Garage

Tonga, are you riding two up or single? I don't have as much body roll running 1 up but as soon as I have a passenger it's back. Yes I do have the ability to adjust both compression and rebound dampening and have adjusted them from what came stock. I have a lot of compression dampening dialed in, still rolls over with two up. I may increase the preload some more to see if that will help. I argued a bit with the Elka tech that the 300lb springs might not be enough but he was sure it would be. Now waiting or BuRP to decide what to do about replacing rear shock #3. Also have been checking air pressure in the air bag, doing just like every other air system does, losing air. Glad I have the air compressor on board!

Dwight