Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default You are what you ride

Below is part of a email I received this AM, My reply, And his reply back to me.

Earlier that morning we did a demo ride on Can Am Spyders. THEY ARE NOT MOTORCYCLES! They are ATVs. Before the ride you even have to legally acknowledge that they are not motorcycles. They were fun, and are pretty sophisticated, but they are technically not motorcycles.

Well Buddy, I beg to differ on your interpretation of the CAN AM SPYDER not being a motorcycle, It is as much a motorcycle as any other Trike on the market it is just a reversed version of such. ATV's are All Terrain Vehicles and are off road only classified, Better do your homework before you make such bias statements. Your fellow Roadrunner....Freebob.

Gee, do I detect a little animosity here? Tough ****. I signed a document that clearly made me acknowledge that what I was about to ride was NOT a motorcycle. It sure was, in my opinion, not. Who cares, anyhow? As one of my shirts says: "You are what you ride."
    alpincus@aol.com

Freebob....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Go Bob.

Spyder Garage

It would be interesting to now who the dealer is that made such a false statement. He can't be a Spyder dealer. That would be a shop to stay miles away from.

Spyder Garage

Maybe it was a test ride in one of those states that doesn't require any special endorsement for riding a trike? Of course, that doesn't explain classifying the Spyder as an ATV. If it is an ATV, it's got the lowest ground clearance of any ATV around!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    Below is part of a email I received this AM, My reply, And his reply back to me.

Earlier that morning we did a demo ride on Can Am Spyders. THEY ARE NOT MOTORCYCLES! They are ATVs. Before the ride you even have to legally acknowledge that they are not motorcycles. They were fun, and are pretty sophisticated, but they are technically not motorcycles.

Well Buddy, I beg to differ on your interpretation of the CAN AM SPYDER not being a motorcycle, It is as much a motorcycle as any other Trike on the market it is just a reversed version of such. ATV's are All Terrain Vehicles and are off road only classified, Better do your homework before you make such bias statements. Your fellow Roadrunner....Freebob.

Gee, do I detect a little animosity here? Tough ****. I signed a document that clearly made me acknowledge that what I was about to ride was NOT a motorcycle. It sure was, in my opinion, not. Who cares, anyhow? As one of my shirts says: "You are what you ride."
    alpincus@aol.com

Freebob....

He had just returned from Daytona I assume on his Harley...
    He had just returned from Daytona I assume on his Harley...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP calls them roadsters. Not motorcycles. Not ATVs. What ever you may call my Spyder, it's still my favorite ride.

Spyder Garage

BRP is actually the one guilty of the "It is not a motorcycle" spiel.. They put that out as a warning for how differently you have to handle it when you are a new rider.. I hate the way they put it and I Love my Spyder but sadly it is our manufacturer that is tacitly smearing its own product..
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

To coin a phrase from Ron White "You can't fix stupid".
    I get a lot of crap from people at work. Some of it lighthearted but the overall tone is not. If it ain't a Harley it ain't .
    One of the guy's at work saw my desktop picture of the Chicago event. His comment was "That is a lot of Spyders, I didn't even know they made that many". And I said half jokingly, "Give it about twenty years and the Spyder will be taking over". And his reply was, "Give it ten years and they won't even be making them anymore".
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Default i think the

guy is a freakin jerk
    SPYDRRR

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't care WHAT they're called or by whom... they're fun and I'm glad that I've got one.,.. whatever it is!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The reason some people give us a hard time is because they can't figure it out. Not a motorcycle or an ATV in their little minds. That makes us an enigma.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    BRP is actually the one guilty of the "It is not a motorcycle" spiel.. They put that out as a warning for how differently you have to handle it when you are a new rider.. I hate the way they put it and I Love my Spyder but sadly it is our manufacturer that is tacitly smearing its own product..

BRP is not smearing it's own product. It is what it is...a Roadster. The signing of the statement that the Spyder "is not a motorcycle" is necessary as a legal declaration for liability if someone said they didn't know that the Spyder didn't handle like a motorcycle. There are enough fools in this world that any company has to cover their back because SOMEONE will find a way to get hurt doing stupid things with a product because no one told them they may get hurt by using the product.
    We are now on our 2nd Spyder, an RT after 23 months and 43K miles with a 2008 SE5. I don't really care what someone calls the Spyder. It gives my wife and me indescribable pleasure in being able to ride and enjoy life.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! My first Spyder fight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rider Steve View Post
    OH BOY! OH BOY! OH BOY! My first Spyder fight.
    Is this why you are on this site?
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    BRP calls them roadsters. Not motorcycles. Not ATVs. What ever you may call my Spyder, it's still my favorite ride.

I'm with you, my friend----Personally don't give a rats A$$ what they call it-----I just like it.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post

This not a Spyder fight. It is Spyder riders united....Freebob..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    This not a Spyder fight. It is Spyder riders united....Freebob..
    Look back. I never mentioned this was a fight. Someone else did.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

Yep... I get into with people from time to time. Generally most are open minded and can have an interesting conversation about riding or the spyder.

On the internet however, you have to remember that you are dealing with people offering their 2 cents in a way that they probably wouldn't have the courage to if they had to say it to your face.

I had a kid on the internet tell me his ninja 250 would eat my spyder and I quite honestly got a good laugh... 500 yes, 250, probably not.

I think what you see on the internet is a lot of 20 y/o somethings that are still on their first bike who still think that crotch rockets or top speed are the only thing that constitutes a bike. Heck, many probably don't have a bike at all!

These are the same idiots who in twenty years will still be trying to ride two wheels with the bum knee, etc and then their mind will be of a different set.

I was young once too... I used to think that subarus weren't utter crap and thought that one wasn't a match for an American muscle car... then I was taken for a ride in a run of the mill Impreza with a turbo and upgraded everything. Scared the crap out of me and changed my mind entirely.

I'm waiting for the day that some young punk pulls up next to Doc at a light and finds out the hard way that there are sleeper Spyders out in the wild now.

So... we'll have to endure the fact that some think they are not bikes for the extra wheel, and that some don't recognize them as sport tourers, and that some think they are too slow... Really... Do we really care what they think?
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Yep... I get into with people from time to time. Generally most are open minded and can have an interesting conversation about riding or the spyder.

On the internet however, you have to remember that you are dealing with people offering their 2 cents in a way that they probably wouldn't have the courage to if they had to say it to your face.

I had a kid on the internet tell me his ninja 250 would eat my spyder and I quite honestly got a good laugh... 500 yes, 250, probably not.

I think what you see on the internet is a lot of 20 y/o somethings that are still on their first bike who still think that crotch rockets or top speed are the only thing that constitutes a bike. Heck, many probably don't have a bike at all!

These are the same idiots who in twenty years will still be trying to ride two wheels with the bum knee, etc and then their mind will be of a different set.

I was young once too... I used to think that subarus weren't utter crap and thought that one wasn't a match for an American muscle car... then I was taken for a ride in a run of the mill Impreza with a turbo and upgraded everything. Scared the crap out of me and changed my mind entirely.

I'm waiting for the day that some young punk pulls up next to Doc at a light and finds out the hard way that there are sleeper Spyders out in the wild now.

So... we'll have to endure the fact that some think they are not bikes for the extra wheel, and that some don't recognize them as sport tourers, and that some think they are too slow... Really... Do we really care what they think?

I do and they are. the are classed as a motorcycle and you have to have in MC endorsement to ride them in most states. there is NO way a ninja 250 will be beat a spyder on the road in anyway except for gas mileage.

Kids are dumb and they are stupidest on the interweb, no one to hold them accountable for the bull**** they are slanging. IF you do not believe this look at the comments on my .50 bmg deer video, only the dumbest of the dumb.

is the spyder perfect? NO is it the best trike on the market, YES. With the feedback from the owners on this site it go from good to great, that is IF BRP wants to start paying the right people to test it. Not the yes people that got the thing on the road will all the easily fixed problems. There is NO WAY it would be perfect by customers should not have to bring up when things are wearing out and BRP is playing catch up.

WHERE IS MY CHECK!!!! the big ones like on happy gilmore.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I call mine a trike. Allows me to be a member of Brothers of the Third Wheel. It must be the third wheel that makes it a trike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Yes sir re bob! I hear spyder lovers are the best fighters on this planet. I wanna join up cause of the busting of beer bottles, the drugs, the mayhem and destruction they cause all over the world. Spyder riders ain't no pushovers ya know. Their mean, vicious and cruel to the bone. Never mess with Spyder riders dude.

Ya I'm laughing my ass off. get real dudley I was just kidding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think what you see on the internet is a lot of 20 y/o somethings that are still on their first bike who still think that crotch rockets or top speed are the only thing that constitutes a bike.
    So true. I remember when I crashed on my Suzuki C50, and my wife made me sell it (long story) to my brother-in-law. His 18-year old son (who he was buying it for) looked at it as I opened the garage door, and said "its an old mans bike" I replied, so what did you expect, a bike with training wheels? My wife and brother-in-law busted up laughing, but my nephew did not like that remark.

Spyder Garage

Some of these idiots (young or old) thing that until they leave a pound of skin on the asphalt after laying down their Harley, you are not a biker. Wait until they get to my age (68) and have done that a couple of times and they will be happy to still be riding.

Spyder Garage

I've heard that quite often on the internet and I think it's a farce excuse because people don't understand what's really going on. When your person to person you can interact with that person(s) in a way you can't on the internet. In person you can see that person, you can hear that person, you can hear the tone of their voice, you can see the smirk or smile and you can see their body movements. It's much easier to understand how someone feels about someone or something in person. On the internet your just looking at type written words. It's like talking to a tin can. Only in this case the tin can can talk back. The internet doesn't have a human look or feel so it's a lot easier to misinterpret or take things the wrong way. Crap I better go eat some

Spyder Garage

I've ate my share of pavement... there is almost no way I'd ever go back to a two-wheeler, and there is absolutely no way there wouldn't be a Spyder in my garage.

As for the remark regarding the Ninja 250... I want what he's smoking. I used to own a 2009 Ninja 250 and no way was that faster than the Spyder... not by a long shot.

Call it what you will, I call it my toy and I also call it a motorcycle. It most definitely is not an ATV.

A guy at my husband's work gives him hell sometimes about the Spyder. He just tells him that he's mad that he paid $45,000 for his Harley and only got two wheels. LOL!
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue