Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire update

Spyder Garage

Default Fire update

Well it has been 2 weeks since my Spyder started on fire while I was driving it...

State Farm is really coming through for me - they are giving me more than I could have sold it for - and enough to easily purchase another one. I had one of the good ones - never a problem intil the fire - you can check my past posts, I was one of the most positive Spyder riders. But I am not even considering buying another one - BRP did not even return my email discussing what happened. State Farm will be going after them.

I am back on my Sabre 1100 and really enjoying it - I had forgotten how fun the leaning is on 2 wheels and I know my Sabre will just keep going - no computer problems...no fires. It even automatically adjusts the valves! I had a good time on the Spyder, but was always waiting for the problems to begin....don't want that feeling again. Hopefully one of the big bike manufacterers will come out with a reverse trike that will not be plagued with all the problems and lack of adequate response that the Spyder/BRP has had.

I like all the folks here and the ones I have ridden with - so, I will be around and go on some of the rides - on 2 wheels. But the best part of a group ride is the people not the vehicles.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to see you leave the ranks of Spyder owners permanently, but your feelings are perfectly understandable. Glad your insurance company came through with shining colors. Best wishes for lots of enjoyable road miles on your Sabre.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Glad it has worked out as good as possible and fully understand you not wanting to get back on another Spyder right away.

One thing that was never answered is whether or not your Spyder had the Evap Canister vent hose extension done or not per update #2.

This is vital information to know. Please share if you know whether this was completed or not... or just tell us you're not sure.

Thanks... Ride safe.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Glad it has worked out as good as possible and fully understand you not wanting to get back on another Spyder right away.

One thing that was never answered is whether or not your Spyder had the Evap Canister vent hose extension done or not per update #2.

This is vital information to know. Please share if you know whether this was completed or not... or just tell us you're not sure.

Thanks... Ride safe.
    That info would be helpful.

Spyder Garage

On July 7th Donzo posted this:

23,000 miles - no updates/recalls done and no problems at all -

I will get the recall done at 25,000 miles

Not sure how many miles he had on the spYder or if he ever had the updates done,,, Looks like as of July 7th he didn't...

X-Joe

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you are leaving the Spyder ranks--but I can understand your reasoning also. I also have a back up bike--but have not actually had to use it for back up as my Spyder has always worked. It is a bit disappointing to me that BRP did not communicate with you. Enjoy your Sabre.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It is very disappointing that BRP didn't contact you.

It would seem that corporate lawyers have taken the "human" parts of every company and replaced that with contempt of the consumer.

BRP knows how the community feels about this. I wonder how they feel about the potential buyers that do research before buying and finding posts like this? If they gave a damn they'd be looking that spyder over from top to bottom.

I couldn't say I wouldn't buy another one if faced with the same issue, but I'd have to think twice.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand were your coming from, I have a back up bike and i had to use it the month of July and half the month of September.
    As far as the Spyder go's, If somebody comes out with a reverse Trike
    the Spyder is gone. I'm a funny guy i don't fall in love with a bike just because there the only game in town. If this hurts anybody's feelings or Ego's i apologize in advance, But as Goldwater once said;
    In your hart you know I'm right.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Sorry to see you leave the ranks of Spyder owners permanently, but your feelings are perfectly understandable. Glad your insurance company came through with shining colors. Best wishes for lots of enjoyable road miles on your Sabre.
    Ditto.

Spyder Garage

But I am not even considering buying another one - BRP did not even return my email discussing what happened. State Farm will be going after them.
    And that is why BRP never emailed you back. They know their going to be taken to court so they ain't sayin nutin honey. Their saving all their air for the courtroom.

Spyder Garage

BRP will likely pay the ins. co. off quietly since they addressed the fire issue with the evap can update. BRP might also say he didn't get the update done as requested and limit their liability in court. Anyone caught fire after they had the evap update?
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that the insurance is helping you out. So sorry to hear about your Spyder.

Looking forward to future rides with you, no matter the number of wheels.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

I too can understand your frustration. I'm concerned about my RT, I smell gas alot when ryding and after. I got home the other day after a 120 mile ride, the tank was on empty when I pulled in to the garage. There was a strong smell of gas. The canister mod had been done before I bought the bike new. On ryding, wheels is wheels, 2 or 3. I ride with a group and I have the only Spyder, all the others are Hardleys, Hondas, Stars etc. Ride on...

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear that you are leaving the spyder ranks, but I can understand your feelings about BRP, Good luck and Ride Safely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post
    On July 7th Donzo posted this:

23,000 miles - no updates/recalls done and no problems at all -

I will get the recall done at 25,000 miles

Not sure how many miles he had on the spYder or if he ever had the updates done,,, Looks like as of July 7th he didn't...

X-Joe
    These are a couple of things that are VERY important to all of us and I hope we get an answer.
    HAPPY FORMER OWNER of 2008 PE 3016

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    Well it has been 2 weeks since my Spyder started on fire while I was driving it...

But I am not even considering buying another one - BRP did not even return my email discussing what happened. .
    $ h i t, if my bike caught fire not only would I not get another one... I would seek legal action...
    If you mod your ride to the approval of others then is not really yours... A Fuego ! XXX 74

Spyder Garage

Donzo, I am glad things are working out for you and that they paid you for your Spyder! I really don't think I'd get another one after going through that. Anyway, I like what you said about it not being the bike but it being the people who make the ride good! Enjoy your riding and ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XXX 74 View Post
    $ h i t, if my bike caught fire not only would I not get another one... I would seek legal action...
    I had the first fire on May 4, 2009. I took delivery of my new Spyder on May 15, 2009, with absolutely no regrets! I am looking forward to getting my third Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    I had the first fire on May 4, 2009. I took delivery of my new Spyder on May 15, 2009, with absolutely no regrets! I am looking forward to getting my third Spyder.

Heck---- what would the chances of it happening twice to you anyways!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    You are a brave man my friend... or you just don't learn... which ever one it is, Have fun and enjoy yourself !
    Cheers !
    If you mod your ride to the approval of others then is not really yours... A Fuego ! XXX 74

Spyder Garage

You are a brave man my friend... or you just don't learn... which ever one it is, Have fun and enjoy yourself !
    Cheers !

Considering he has over 100,000 miles between his 2 Spyders---- I would say he has learned more about owning a Spyder than just about anyone else.

No one has been hurt yet from a fire, and the fires have been pretty minimal in number compared to total units sold. Being aware of the possibility of a fire is good common sense.... being afraid to ride because a fire *might* happen is over-reactionary.

You have a much greater risk of a 'regular old accident' with your Spyder than you do one of these fires. We know of maybe a dozen fires, but far more have crashed, hit deer, etc.....

Spyder Garage

Cheers !
    I am very comfortable with the thought that my risk for another Spyder fire is quite low. Mine was the first reported fire and we cannot know the exact cause. However, since then, we have learned much. There is good reason to believe the cause was related to the evaporative canister. My second Spyder has had a canisterectomy, and when I get my third Spyder, it too will have a canisterectomy. The procedure is quick, easy, and safe. I believe it is better than BRP's remedy, which was to extend the vent hose and improve the timing of the purge valve. As a Spyder owner, I can do what the manufacturer cannot do easily. To the best of my knowledge, the law does not require an evap canister in Florida. I recommend a canisterectomy for every Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    BRP will likely pay the ins. co. off quietly since they addressed the fire issue with the evap can update. BRP might also say he didn't get the update done as requested and limit their liability in court. Anyone caught fire after they had the evap update?
    This is the question we continue to ask, and at this point it doesn't look like anyone has.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    !!!

And it seems like such a simple question to answer.

You may never get an answer if the spyder owner and BRP have made some type of an 'arrangement.'

I know a few weeks back when I talked to Carlo I brought up the possibility of a fire without the vent hose extension. One of the things he said was that he could not discuss another person's spyder problems.

Spyder Garage

Cheers !

If we live our lives in fear, we will never really LIVE. More people have been hurt from Spyder accidents than fires. I for one have never understood, or at least have never read any report, on why the fires have not been professionally investigated. And telling someone "you just don't learn" is a bit far fetched, IMO.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.