Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still no DPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Still no DPS

I made an appointment about three weeks ago to have my DPS replaced on October 11 The dealer told me that they had received one DPS in their initial shipment for an RT and they used it on their floor model they returned the old one and were waiting for the replacement. They said it would certainly be in by the 11th so I took in the Spyder. Well, they didn't get the new DPS but I had some other work that was being done so I left it there. Today is Wed. and they still don't have it in. They said they have not been able to get tracking info from anyone at BRP. He said that they had sent six units back to BRP and so far have only received one in return. They also had to order parts for the rear shock service bulletin.

I don't get it, I was told by Carlo that they have enough DPS units available and that they are shipping out units as soon as they receive ones from the dealers.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This jives with what one dealer told me the delay was... As Carlos says "they ship out to the dealer as they receive units back".. A dealer told me they will only ship when they receive an old unit and only that same number of units... so if a dealer replaces one and sends the old one back they have two way shipping time to wait to get one again.. IF THIS IS THE CASE THIS COULD TAKE FOREVER., but it makes sense if they really have enough units but want to stretch out the replacement schedule.

Spyder Garage

Maybe BRP has a case of the as_ at that dealership. I worked at Yamaha and that dealership had a hard time getting things from Yamaha. But that was because he sued Yamaha and won. He never could get what he wanted after that without waiting a long time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAnn View Post
    I made an appointment about three weeks ago to have my DPS replaced on October 11 The dealer told me that they had received one DPS in their initial shipment for an RT and they used it on their floor model they returned the old one and were waiting for the replacement...
    If misery loves company, you're not alone. My dealer in Brighton is putting me through the same thing. When I showed up for my first appointment for the DPS replacement, made a week in advance, the service manager greeted me with, "I hope you're not here for the recall." Well, duh, no, I just took a half day off work and made an appointment so I could visit your store and walk around. That was several weeks ago, and they apparently still don't have my replacement DPS.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

For my RS I was "put on a list" 2 weeks ago and told I was #9. I called and checked to see where I was this afternoon- silly me I'm still number 9 and they will call me when they get down to me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I called two weeks ago and i was #8 today #4

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was supposed to be #1 since the recall came about. They only received one RT unit and like I said they used it on a showroom unit so I'm still #1 for all the good that is doing me.

How about the rear shock bulletin - I hadn't heard anything about that but apparently mine was leaking air. I wonder just how long it will take for those parts to come in.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have my name at 2 dealers and that was 8 weeks ago still no call.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We are in a holding pattern with our 2 Spyders getting the new DPS as well. I am currently thinking it will be sometime after Christmas before they get to ours.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think they flooded the dealer channel with new model DPSs for two reasons.

- Dealers were able to make sure new floor models were updated and could be sold

- There was enough for the initial spike in customer swaps.

Now the demand has caught up with the supply chain and we are seeing that in longer wait times for service due to limited supply on the new DPS units.

If that is the case, I'm not all that surprised. BRP seemed to do a pretty good job with the supply initially and perhaps their forecast on how many owners would be into dealers over the course of 30 or 60 days was a bit wrong.

So... I won't fault them or point fingers as of yet. They seem to be getting better at this parts stuff and if the initial supply was an indicator they were probably not off by much, but enough to cause some of us pain.

My advice... Now that many are riding less due to northern climates and fair weather riders, BRP should probably double their efforts on supply. If I was a northerner and fair weather guy, I'd definitely be thinking about getting that DPS done now considering that I was getting ready to store my spyder for the winter.

-Luckily I'm a North Carolina guy and want to ride my Spyder all year.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I keep getting the "probably 1-2 weeks and we'll call you..." so.... guess I'll be waiting......... and I asked them about the evap canister line update, they said my VIN number doesn't show that I need it... are they trying to avoid me?? hopefully they'll adjust my belt tension as well when and if I ever get my DPS updated...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Just about given up on this recall

Up here in the Eastern part of Wa. state, our dealer doesn't sell that many Spyders and only gets one DPS unit at a time. I asked to be put on a waiting list and was told they're not using a waiting list. When I asked when he thought I could get mine changed out, I got this reply that he didn't know when. It's been very frustrating trying to work with these people. I like the Spyder, but not happy with BRP or it's dealer network, if that's what you call it. BRP wasn't ready for the instant popularity of the Spyder and they're stumbling over their feet not knowing what to do next. I really enjoy this Spyder but seriously considering selling it and adding a Harley Muscle next to the Fatboy.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about the problems others are having getting the DPS recall taken care of.

I tried to get mine done in Gatlinburg but Alcoa-Goodtimes had installed all of the RS units when I called. When I got home I called a local dealer -- East Coast Cycles in Philadelphia -- and the Service Mgr asked me when I could bring the bike up. We set a date -- it's an hour and a half from where I live -- and they installed it. I left the dealer's two hours later.

I am one of those who can't see much difference in steering though I am happy to have had it done.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

I made an appointment about three weeks ago to have my DPS replaced on October 11 The dealer told me that they had received one DPS in their initial shipment for an RT and they used it on their floor model they returned the old one and were waiting for the replacement. They said it would certainly be in by the 11th so I took in the Spyder. Well, they didn't get the new DPS but I had some other work that was being done so I left it there. Today is Wed. and they still don't have it in. They said they have not been able to get tracking info from anyone at BRP. He said that they had sent six units back to BRP and so far have only received one in return. They also had to order parts for the rear shock service bulletin.

I don't get it, I was told by Carlo that they have enough DPS units available and that they are shipping out units as soon as they receive ones from the dealers.
    I called BRP's useless customer support line today because my dealer still can't get a replacement RT DPS for one he returned two weeks ago!
    The only thing they did was create a file number and said someone would get back to me. I keep making appointments to get this done but the dealer can't get the parts!
    Does Carlo or someone at BRP monitor this forum and/or thread?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1551retired View Post
    I called BRP's useless customer support line today because my dealer still can't get a replacement RT DPS for one he returned two weeks ago!
    The only thing they did was create a file number and said someone would get back to me. I keep making appointments to get this done but the dealer can't get the parts!
    Does Carlo or someone at BRP monitor this forum and/or thread?

Contact Carlo here:

spydertechsupport@brp.com

Don't forget your vin# and your model and phone number. It all starts with an e-mail to him. He responded to my last e-mail in about 2-3 days.

But, to answer your question, Carlo and BRP periodically monitor this and other sites.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I don't want to throw rocks, or be disrespectful, but why does everybody here seem to think that they deserve to be #1, and nobody else exists? BRP has supplied each dealer with DPS units for 10% of the Spyders they have sold, not the Spyders they have ordered. That means that only 10% of the owners could possibly be first, while 90% of us must wait. Given that the dealers need to do their demos and floor models to stay in business, even fewer of us can be in the first round. If the dealer sends the part back to Valcourt, and BRP processes it and ships a new one, the process can't possibly take less than a week, and could take two or more...not counting Customs delays. I would not expect the second round of DPS units before 2-3 weeks. If each turn around takes two weeks, the entire process will 4-5 months..provided everything runs smoothly, the dealers can schedule the Spyders as fast as they get units, and everyone ships things expeditiously. The dealers can determine the order of installation. To me, those owners who are experiencing steering problems should be able to get their units done the quickest. Owners that need other service work should be next, because the dealers may be reluctant to test ride a Spyder without the new box...or release it back to the owner. We all need to practice a little patience! Crying to Carlo unless you have an actual problem that needs to be addressed, is unfair to the rest of us, some of whom have pressing needs, too. I have been waiting for warranty work for several weeks now...delayed because of the DPS recall. I have talked to Carlo, too, but I would not think of asking him to pull strings to get me a DPS unit before another deserving owner. I have to trust my dealer to contact me when one becomes available.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I don't want to throw rocks, or be disrespectful, but why does everybody here seem to think that they deserve to be #1, and nobody else exists? BRP has supplied each dealer with DPS units for 10% of the Spyders they have sold, not the Spyders they have ordered. That means that only 10% of the owners could possibly be first, while 90% of us must wait. Given that the dealers need to do their demos and floor models to stay in business, even fewer of us can be in the first round. If the dealer sends the part back to Valcourt, and BRP processes it and ships a new one, the process can't possibly take less than a week, and could take two or more...not counting Customs delays. I would not expect the second round of DPS units before 2-3 weeks. If each turn around takes two weeks, the entire process will 4-5 months..provided everything runs smoothly, the dealers can schedule the Spyders as fast as they get units, and everyone ships things expeditiously. The dealers can determine the order of installation. To me, those owners who are experiencing steering problems should be able to get their units done the quickest. Owners that need other service work should be next, because the dealers may be reluctant to test ride a Spyder without the new box...or release it back to the owner. We all need to practice a little patience! Crying to Carlo unless you have an actual problem that needs to be addressed, is unfair to the rest of us, some of whom have pressing needs, too. I have been waiting for warranty work for several weeks now...delayed because of the DPS recall. I have talked to Carlo, too, but I would not think of asking him to pull strings to get me a DPS unit before another deserving owner. I have to trust my dealer to contact me when one becomes available.
    Scotty, when the DPS letters first came out I thought my dealer was going to sit on the DPS units they received until they sold their floor models. I posted at that time that I didn't think that was right. I received a call from Carlo and he told me that they had enough units available for the recall and that they would ship them immediately upon receipt of an old unit from a dealer. He estimated shipping time out at 3-5 days for a total of 1 to 2 weeks turn around. My dealer told me that they were replacing the units in their floor models right away and I was first on their list when a replacement unit came in. I was first on the list as I was the first customer of theirs to request this service. I was upset that now more than three weeks after they returned the units to BRP they have only received one unit (for an RS) back.

I frankly don't know if I have a faulty DPS or not. I do know that my RT handles completely different than the GS that I rode. I know that on a sweeping curve it doesn't hold its line, I have to constantly make corrections as I turn. I didn't feel that on the GS.

Most of us just want a straight answer not preferential treatment.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Ann, sorry to hear you are still waiting. We talked to our dealer (Caswell Cycle in Mora, MN) about havine our DPS done and he said he had 3 for his remaining floor models and would let us know when he recieved more. When we got home from SITS, Les called us and said bring it in on Tue. we got it back on Thur. Sounds like we were very fortunate. I got to drive it home and it does handle very nice, I don't have the seat time most of you out there do, but even I noticed the difference, it'll be worth it.
    --Paula
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Scotty, when the DPS letters first came out I thought my dealer was going to sit on the DPS units they received until they sold their floor models. I posted at that time that I didn't think that was right. I received a call from Carlo and he told me that they had enough units available for the recall and that they would ship them immediately upon receipt of an old unit from a dealer. He estimated shipping time out at 3-5 days for a total of 1 to 2 weeks turn around. My dealer told me that they were replacing the units in their floor models right away and I was first on their list when a replacement unit came in. I was first on the list as I was the first customer of theirs to request this service. I was upset that now more than three weeks after they returned the units to BRP they have only received one unit (for an RS) back.

I frankly don't know if I have a faulty DPS or not. I do know that my RT handles completely different than the GS that I rode. I know that on a sweeping curve it doesn't hold its line, I have to constantly make corrections as I turn. I didn't feel that on the GS.

Most of us just want a straight answer not preferential treatment.
    I hope you don't feel my comments were aimed specifically at you. I would be very upset if my dealer scheduled my service without a DPS in hand! As to the partial shipment of the replacement units, that is for your dealer to sort out with BRP. There are many possible reasons...on each end, and at Customs in the middle. BTW, I have yet to meet a dealer that I trusted to tell me the straight story on situations like this. It pays to be skeptical. One other sour note...Customs into Michigan is notoriously slow! I was just discussing this with Carlo yesterday. I can send items to Canada four times faster than I can get them back, on average. I hope your DPS shows up soon. I am in the same boat...and I am having steering issues.

Spyder Garage

I guess I was lucky, so to speak. I put mine in the shop for the clutch recall in the middle of August. While it was there waiting for parts, there were a couple of recalls and campaigns. I get my Spyder back tomorrow. So for all of you who are still riding but waiting, at least you are still riding. Oh, and I get to take it back once the dust settles on the recalls, to have the audio problems fixed. They haven't even begun to troubleshoot that.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Default Absolutely Incredible....

I called the dealer in Elizabethton TN on a thurs and had both of our DPS pumps replaced on the following Tuesday...Something is wrong with your dealer.. They may be prevaricating ever so slightly...!! Not good... Len

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scudrunner View Post
    I guess I was lucky, so to speak. I put mine in the shop for the clutch recall in the middle of August. While it was there waiting for parts, there were a couple of recalls and campaigns. I get my Spyder back tomorrow. So for all of you who are still riding but waiting, at least you are still riding. Oh, and I get to take it back once the dust settles on the recalls, to have the audio problems fixed. They haven't even begun to troubleshoot that.
    That's a drag. I hope you are in one of those places where it was just too hot to ride in August and that your real riding season is just beginning. Good luck with the audio fix.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Scotty , I disagree with your position on this. I would be far more upset that that my dealer did his showroom unit first instead of a customer that already purchased the RT from him. This is a blunt statement that he feels his potential sales in the future are far more important than the customers he has already sold to. Both dealers in my area are doing their customers first , then their own units UNLESS they sell their unit then it gets put in the mix. I'm sure the dealers flawed thinking is that they can't demo a unit and may lose a sale if someone can't test drive it if and only if someone comes in looking for an RT in October and that is why they do them first but that is such a backwards theory. "Customer First" is a great slogan by some dealers that should read "Cash First". I'd ask them to swap it out for you. The showroom unit is NOT being driven , your purchase is. This blame falls squarely on the dealer.
    That being said , your unit does not sound to me like the DPS is acting up just from a far way description of your situation. The RT does steer very different and I had the same sensation in corners ( I called it the octagon cornering effect ) in the beginning versus 20,000 miles of smooth cornering on my RS. Body positioning and learning to push the handlebar away from me instead of pull it towards me in turns completely irradicated that after a couple hundred miles and now it corners better than any couch out there...
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS

My dealer in Augusta Maine will not even give an appointment at this time. They keep stating I am on "the list". I called Tuesday of this week on another issue and the parts dept did not think they even had a recall unit in yet. I am not having any issues so no big problem. But if this is a 1 for 1 swap it will take forever. All the parts from BRP seem to come on the slow boat. I have been waiting for a rubber boot for my radio antenna after it fell off. They pulled a mast off a stock unit but the boot has been on order since the middle of August. Not keeping the Spyder out of service but, WOW!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Jornie1

I have been waiting 3 weeks for the Dealer in Elizabethton to call me back to get mine done. I was supposed to be put on the list for the next 3 when I called 3 weeks ago. How did you get yours so quick and not me? That kind of ticks me off! Especially since I bought my Spyder there! I will be giving them another call today!