Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FISH65 View Post
    No. The piece that blew was farther back on the engine, and hade more hoses running to it. On the parts catalog online it is #26 called a connector.
    That is exactly what it is. The thermostat is in the hose, near the radiator, as shown in SpyderGirl's picture.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That is exactly what it is. The thermostat is in the hose, near the radiator, as shown in SpyderGirl's picture.
    Scotty, do you think this is probably the culprit? I have the dealer ordering me a thermostat housing, the two hoses on either side, and the connector.

I won't know until I start to take things apart if the hoses on the other side of the connector are bad or not.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Scotty, do you think this is probably the culprit? I have the dealer ordering me a thermostat housing, the two hoses on either side, and the connector.

I won't know until I start to take things apart if the hoses on the other side of the connector are bad or not.
    I wouldn't guess. I'd run it (adding water if needed) and keep looking until I found the source(es). Could be a hose, could be a thermostat, could be a clamp, could be elsewhere. Tough to tell, sometimes, with water spraying everywhere. A good inspection, with the engine off and cool, often locates a blown hose or cracked thermostat housing...although you may have to inspect the back sides by feel. I would replace the thermostat anyway. They are often damaged if an engine overheats. If not replaced, it should be tested before it is re-installed. It certainly won't hurt (except monetarily) to replace the thermostat and hoses before you look further.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't guess. I'd run it (adding water if needed) and keep looking until I found the source(es). Could be a hose, could be a thermostat, could be a clamp, could be elsewhere. Tough to tell, sometimes, with water spraying everywhere. A good inspection, with the engine off and cool, often locates a blown hose or cracked thermostat housing...although you may have to inspect the back sides by feel. I would replace the thermostat anyway. They are often damaged if an engine overheats. If not replaced, it should be tested before it is re-installed. It certainly won't hurt (except monetarily) to replace the thermostat and hoses before you look further.
    It's like one mind!! LOL! I was talking about it with my husband this morning and said that I was going to strip all the panels off and run water through it to see if I could pinpoint the point of failure. I also figured that even if the therm wasn't bad, it's a good idea to just go ahead and replace it. I also figured it was worth the $15 or so to replace the hoses on either side of the therm housing as well. I might luck out and fix it for less than $50 and take care of the coolant flush at the same time.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It's like one mind!! LOL! I was talking about it with my husband this morning and said that I was going to strip all the panels off and run water through it to see if I could pinpoint the point of failure. I also figured that even if the therm wasn't bad, it's a good idea to just go ahead and replace it. I also figured it was worth the $15 or so to replace the hoses on either side of the therm housing as well. I might luck out and fix it for less than $50 and take care of the coolant flush at the same time.
    Don't forget to flush out the plain water, when you are done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget to flush out the plain water, when you are done.
    But of course. It isn't my first rodeo.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

But of course. It isn't my first rodeo.
    Yea, I know. Words to the wise fall on other eyes and ears around here, though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

True dat.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, sorry we missed you. I had to work.

So to add to this thread... a bit turn of luck you might say...

After having helped out a fellow Spyder rider yesterday, a fellow Spyder rider had to help us today. While commuting home from work, sitting in the usual stop and go traffic just before the Caldecott Tunnel, we had some issues.

As we were coming through the tunnel I saw SMOKE coming out of the vent on the front right side.... then the smell of coolant. Of course I was having an "Oh S**t" moment at this time then noticed the temp gauge quickly creep upwards. We couldn't stop in the tunnel of course and the exit was 3/4 of a mile away and there was not shoulder to stop on. About 1/4 of a mile from the exit the temp was at full hot and it was in limp home mode. I coasted it off the freeway and found a good place to pull way off the road (near a Park and Ride).

We proceeded to pull the panels off one by one to pinpoint the point of failure thinking that maybe the cap failed and it exploded out of the cannister..... nope. Checked the hoses... everything looked okay. So we called my mother-in-law up at home and had her fight traffic to pick us up and bring coolant. We filled the coolant up and tightened everything down. I geared up to try to ride home and after only running 5 minutes (after sitting off for about a hour) the coolant exploded out again.

So.... we found a somewhat safe place to leave her (25 miles from home) and left for home to pick up the trailer. We called on our good friend and fellow Spyder rider Rich (the one who drove all the way to the dealer to get bearings for the Spyder just three days before out trip) to borrow his Avalanche to pull our trailer to pick up the Spyder. Nearly 5 hours later since we left work, we were finally home and had the Spyder in the garage. And now we are FINALLY eating dinner.

WHAT A DAY!!!

So.... ANY THOUGHTS?? My guess is the thermostat failed.

Had the same 20.00 part go on me around 30k.
    Easy to replace if you have the part. Carry this and the one above (went as well, shortly after).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    Had the same 20.00 part go on me around 30k.
    Easy to replace if you have the part. Carry this and the one above (went as well, shortly after).
    Which one, the thermostat or the coolant bottle? The coolant bottle is fine. I found a very loose clamp connection on the hose on the top side of the thermostat. I am going to replace the clamps, the thermostat, and maybe the hose above. I also may replace the connector, I haven't decided yet.