Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default took a little trip

The wife and I took a round trip from Clearwater, Florida to Dover, Delaware Thursday to Monday. We went a total of about 2200 miles. I learned a lot of things about the Spyder. The most important thing I learned is that it is the absolute mac daddy when it comes to long distance touring.

I learned that for the best gas mileage my Spyder likes 55-65mph. My best fuel economy was 37mpg fully loaded and two up. I found that above 75mph the economy plummets in relation to speed. Taking into account the comfort and features, I think the gas mileage is just fine.

Trickle filling the tank was sometimes a pain. I couple of times I got a pump that was either on or off and I just couldn't get the tank filled. I need to check this out to see if there is something we can do to make the fill easier.

The saddle is great for shorter trips of a couple hundred miles or so. We did one day that was 863 miles and the saddle was uncomfortable when the mileage got high. I may need to try the Corbin. I also may try the back rest.

I put Kewlmetal highway brackets and made some foot plates for the trip. I placed the foot plates high and found that I probably would like them low. My wife said she would like to have an alternate foot position. I'll have to look into making something for her.

I used velcro to attach the ipod out of the way in the trunk. A shelf would probably be helpful. The travel cover was outstanding.

The Spyder ran very well. We only had one little problem: the passenger grip heater was out the morning we left. Temps were into the mid 40's and the wife was cold. I gotta say that my Black Beast was worth every cent I paid for it.
    Last edited by MotorTony; 10-12-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTony View Post
    .....We only had one little problem: the passenger grip heater was out the morning we left. Temps were into the mid 40's and the wife was cold. .....
    Your passenger grip heaters may not be out. They are a little tricky to operate. The buttons do not turn them on to "HIGH" or "LOW", in a single push, as you might expect. They work more like a rheostat, with continuous adjustability. To raise the temp, hit the "UP" button repeatedly (a passenger must be sitting in the rear seat). The grips will eventually get to the highest temp. Hitting "DOWN" repeatedly adjusts the temperature downwards. The "OFF" button turns them completely off. It is also possible that the wire to the switch is disconnected. Mine was left off by the tech when my Spyder was serviced.

Don't expect great things from the passenger grip heaters, they are quite weak at best, but they do help if you get the knack of the odd control method.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

My wife and I put about 1,000 miles when we were in North Carolina a week and a half ago. I feel the same way that you do about the RT-S. It really ran well.

If I may offer up a suggestion on the seat. You are right about the stock seat. I've mentioned this in several threads, but I bought the Corbin seat, backrest, passenger seat and backrest AND the armrests. I think you are doing your wife a tremendous FAVOR and SERVICE getting her the armrests. Admittedly all of that is pricey, but well worth the $$$ that you pay. Just like the RT-S is.

Chris PE# 0004

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MotorTony View Post
    The wife and I took a round trip from Clearwater, Florida to Dover, Delaware Thursday to Monday. We went a total of about 2200 miles. I learned a lot of things about the Spyder. The most important thing I learned is that it is the absolute mac daddy when it comes to long distance touring.

I learned that for the best gas mileage my Spyder likes 55-65mph. My best fuel economy was 37mpg fully loaded and two up. I found that above 75mph the economy plummets in relation to speed. Taking into account the comfort and features, I think the gas mileage is just fine.

Trickle filling the tank was sometimes a pain. I couple of times I got a pump that was either on or off and I just couldn't get the tank filled. I need to check this out to see if there is something we can do to make the fill easier.

The saddle is great for shorter trips of a couple hundred miles or so. We did one day that was 863 miles and the saddle was uncomfortable when the mileage got high. I may need to try the Corbin. I also may try the back rest.

I put Kewlmetal highway brackets and made some foot plates for the trip. I placed the foot plates high and found that I probably would like them low. My wife said she would like to have an alternate foot position. I'll have to look into making something for her.

I used velcro to attach the ipod out of the way in the trunk. A shelf would probably be helpful. The travel cover was outstanding.

The Spyder ran very well. We only had one little problem: the passenger grip heater was out the morning we left. Temps were into the mid 40's and the wife was cold. I gotta say that my Black Beast was worth every cent I paid for it.
    Just wondering, did you add oil to your Spyder on your trip and if so how much? Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've not heard anyone else mention oil useage w/RT. Thought I was the only one with that problem. On a 2800 mile trip in May I used a quart but we (5 of us) did it in 8 days so it was like a race plus rain and snow. Since then has used much less.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I changed the oil and filter before I left so I know it was topped off. I checked it when I got to Delaware, about 1000 miles. The level was only slightly lower than it was after I filled it. I checked again when I got home and found that the oil level has dropped but is still within the safe range.