Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone try this?

I found a new way to get my daily dose of excitement.

I started splitting traffic this week on the freeway. Let me tell you it is a entirely different feeling than doing it on a 2 wheeler. Before all of you start thinking that I am really crazy. I was doning it safely. I don't do it when traffic is rolling at 45 +. This week traffic was really heavy. It was rolling below 30. The carpool lane was not available, so I thought to myself "Hey, there is room go for it". So I did, The first time I did about three miles splitting traffic. I did have to stop a few times because there was not enough room.

As of today, I think I may have perfected my timing. I did about 10 mile this morning with having to stop, and about 5 mile this afternoon without having to stop. I even went right by a motor CHP, at a accident in the carpool lane this afternoon. He saw me and just smiled. I of course waved.

Now to the excitment part. Because the clearance is tight by the front wheels your heart imdeadately starts to pump a little harder, you can feel the adreline kick in. Let me tell you this is almost as exciting as shooting a canyon as fast as possible.

Now I tried doing this on surface streets, for whatever reason, I have not been able to do it yet. People seem to drive different than when on the freeway, and the lanes are not as wide. There is just not enough room. Maybe I will try that some more next week.

I hope it doesn't turn into a habit.

Spyder Garage

Guess you've never ridden with Doc..... this is common practice-- but at 80mph......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I haven't been stuck in traffic anywhere yet with wide enough lanes to even think about pulling that off. If you can get away with it, then more power to ya!
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not legal here in Florida.
    316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

North Carolina: Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

My 2 normal ryding areas so those are the only 2 I am sure of.

I have seen car/truck drivers in Cal. when I was there crowding toward the center of the lanes to prevent this, so the small time I save wouldnt make it worth it to me. Unless I had a loud pipe to save my life.

Spyder Garage

I try to drive nowhere I can get stuck in traffic.

Spyder Garage

Mr. Fischer!

Nice to see your post here. Haven't heard from you since WCS. You are an animal lane splitter! I tried it once; I just can't get comfortable. And Officer Franks of the CHP told me flat out that lane splitting is not allowed for Spyders.

SO I won't lane split any longer, though I get the rush you feel! Instead I do the next best thing and inject myself into VERY small holes! Next best thing!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

I've done a little lane splitting in the Spyder, but not for that sort of distance. I usually do what I like to call "lane shimming" which is I share for a moment just to move up into a space in the next lane up ahead and then back and forth as much as I need to. I get through traffic a lot faster than if I was in a car.

I wish I could avoid riding in traffic, but if I did that then I'd never ride to work.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    I've done a little lane splitting in the Spyder, but not for that sort of distance. I usually do what I like to call "lane shimming" which is I share for a moment just to move up into a space in the next lane up ahead and then back and forth as much as I need to. I get through traffic a lot faster than if I was in a car.

I wish I could avoid riding in traffic, but if I did that then I'd never ride to work.
    Living where we do traffic is just part of the game girl!!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can't sleep.

You ARE crazy Tony but thats just between you and me .

Very, very rarely do I get a chance to "white line" it but I haven't done it ... yet. However I do frequently jump lanes rapidly. Especially at freeway onramps where cagers poke along to "merge" with freeway traffic. These kooky morons can't tear themselves away from their cell phones, or look in the mirror, long enough to see oncoming traffic.

If I had a dollar for each time I saw a car squeeze past a truck on the shoulder of the freeway I'd be a rich man by now.

I hear the laws are different around the country regarding merging traffic. But the law of courteous and defensive driving are universal. Just not followed.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The only way to do that here in VT is to blow by someone in the breakdown lane. Which BTW, I wouldn't even attempt it. Reason? I had to pick my wife up last night after the truck broke down on the way back from Albany NY. I always tease her about why it takes so long for her to get home from North Bennington every night and she says there are too many idiots on the road. Well, I found out first hand last night. I swear, every moron and his brother, sister, parents, kids, you name it are on the road at that hour. I thought I was going to completely lose it. She said "see what I mean"? Guess I won't be teasing her anymore. I love this time of the year up hear because of the color but I can definitely do without the idiots that come up here!You have bigger "Cahoonies" than I have!

Spyder Garage

Lane splitting . Thanks,but no thanks! Just pass when I need to. No need to piss-off the cagers !
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

California is the only state that expressly allows lane splitting, although it is leagal in several foreign countries. Even with a lack of laws prohibiting it, most states consider it illegal, and address it with other traffic laws...including reckless driving. In Michigan, it is specifically prohibited by law. That has not always stopped people from doing so. I saw a rider and passenger killed that way when I was young. They tried to squeeze their bike between traffic and some parked cars, when one car door opened just in front of them. I never again gave the idea of lane splitting a single thought!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Each to their own notion", said the old woman as she kissed the cow...
    It just ain't legal for anybody here in NYS to try... and at five feet wide it just doesn't seem like the greatest idea that's ever been thunk up anyway... "Thunk!" being the sound that'll be made if somebody misses their mark by a very small margin...
    (I sell insurance so I SEE the accident reports...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Lane Splitting???

Not legal in Missouri