Spyder Garage

Default Earplugs, G4s and Bad Sound (long)

Since I bought my Spyder two years ago I have been trying to get acceptable sound first through Q2 and, now, G4 bluetooth via my helmet. I don't think there is a combination of hardware that I haven't tried. I, and others, have posted here about trying to get Iphones, Zumo 550s and G4 headsets to work with each other.

As Bonecrusher and I found out months ago even the G4 has limitations in large part because the Zumo 550 does not broadcast in stereo. The solution that Bonecrusher found was to (1) link the Iphone to the Zumo and, then, (2) link the Zumo to the G4. To listen to music in stereo, you have to plug an mp3 player directly into the G4.

Because my Ipod is old and only holds a battery charge for 3 hours, I recently purchased the new Nano which is supposed to play for 24 hours. That's long enough for any trip I am going to take on my Spyder.

So I thought I was all set up for my ride from NJ to Lamont's BBQ.

The first thing that was unacceptable was the sound through the G4 speakers. I wear ear plugs -- those soft ones that expand when inserted in the ears -- so the wind noise in my Shoei helmet is reduced. The problem is that the speakers are so poor that they only pass high frequencies and the music is, for me, distorted so badly I couldn't listen to it.

My first question, then, is: has anyone found and tested other speakers for the G4? (I have Entymotic IN-EAR speakers but don't want to wear them because they block ALL sound which is dangerous -- and illegal -- on a Spyder)

My second question has to do with ear plugs. I realize that there are plugs that pass certain percentages of sound or certain frequencies only. Has anyone tried these and have recommendations?

My present setup is a Catch-22. I have good hardware so I can engage in phone calls, find my way with the Zumo 550 and listen to music. The problems come with the speakers (they are truly awful) and my attempts to protect my hearing.

I'd be interested in hearing how others here have solved these problems.

ken tompkins

PS: I also know about various, high-wattage stereo systems added to the Spyder. Perhaps that's the only way to get quality music loud enough to be heard through ear plugs?

Spyder Garage

You might want to read the specs on some different ear plugs. The foam tends to block some freq ranges much more than others.
    I had a set of musicion (I cant spell today) ear plugs that have a very flat response. I got them through an ear doc (read expensive)

I think your best bet is going to be an ear plug/speaker combo like the racers wear. Then you can turn down the music so you can still hear traffic.
    There are several custom fit options out there with a price range of $50 to $500. Wiring them into the G4 sould not be a huge deal. It would just be one more step when putting on your helmet.

This is what I do but use a direct wire solution as blue tooth is to slow for a radar detector.
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Spyder Garage

The system that has worked for me is the ICOM. It allows you to use any earbud speaker you want. So my noise reducing earplugs are my speakers.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I think the Scalas are highly overrated. The ICOM allowed the ear buds and had full stereo when the only product Scala had was the mono G2. And they are not more expensive so I have never understood why everyone rushed to get the G4.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Nancy and I use the Starcom1 wired systems, so I can't speak to a wireless solution or earplug speakers that may work. The helmet earphones for the Starcom work very well, though, even with earplugs. The right speakers can make a difference.

As to earplugs, I have very tiny passages in my ears, so I have great difficulty with them. The disposable foam ones have never worked well for me. I had some small, Willson silicone plugs, but they are no longer made. Other brands have proven too large and painful...and they never sealed well. Last year Nancy and I had custom earlpugs made at the Cycle World show. Wow!!! These things work very, very well. They reduce noise better than any off-the-shelf earplug I ever wore, yet allow normal conversation and awareness of road and engine noises. I never take them out on a trip...even when going in to get some food. They do make them with built-in speakers, if that helps.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Nancy and I use the Starcom1 wired systems, so I can't speak to a wireless solution or earplug speakers that may work. The helmet earphones for the Starcom work very well, though, even with earplugs. The right speakers can make a difference.

As to earplugs, I have very tiny passages in my ears, so I have great difficulty with them. The disposable foam ones have never worked well for me. I had some small, Willson silicone plugs, but they are no longer made. Other brands have proven too large and painful...and they never sealed well. Last year Nancy and I had custom earlpugs made at the Cycle World show. Wow!!! These things work very, very well. They reduce noise better than any off-the-shelf earplug I ever wore, yet allow normal conversation and awareness of road and engine noises. I never take them out on a trip...even when going in to get some food. They do make them with built-in speakers, if that helps.
    Yea but you sure do yell loud when you get where you're going.

Spyder Garage

Scala is missing the boat by not having a plug for other brands of speakers or earbuds. I've been using Earfuse units lately and really like them.

I run everything into this special mixer unit:

http://www.mixitproducts.com/

This allows me to hook up: Garmin, Radar and phone--- and they all 'mix' into one output that I plug my earfuse units into. 2 Mono inputs and 2 stereo.

I'm in the process of hacking my Scala Q2 unit so I can plug it into this setup too (cutting speakers and making a plug to plug into the mixer).

The Mixit unit has an amp in it that works really well, and it will mute the other channels when my radar goes off.

A few issues with this setup:

1. You're gonna be wired unless you use a bluetooth 'sending' unit from the output of the MixIt--- I have not tried this yet.

2. My iphone gives off bad noise interference if it is anywhere near this box. I usually just put it in airplane mode instead.

3. I have not yet integrated my Scala into this setup. That would currently require tapping into the scala and running a wire down to one of the mix-it inputs.

I do have a special cable that will carry stereo and mic inputs-- so I could just run 1 cable --- which wouldn't be that bad as I'm used to the earfuse cable being plugged into my tankbag.

I never really used the Scala much until TN since Tina has one too--- and it was nice to chat-- and probably safer to let the other rider know what you're doing.

Scala needs to have their next version have a plug for the sound output--- then I would upgrade to that.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... Last year Nancy and I had custom earlpugs made at the Cycle World show. Wow!!! These things work very, very well. They reduce noise better than any off-the-shelf earplug I ever wore, yet allow normal conversation and awareness of road and engine noises.... They do make them with built-in speakers, if that helps.
    I went the same route. Could never get the foam expandable type to work, but I love the custom made ones and they work fine with our Starcom. I think custom made cost us between $50-65. I also got a pair with the built in speakers. They cost quite a bit more, but are pure heaven on an airplane, blocking out most of the engine noise. I sometimes plug them directly into my Zumo 660 and enjoy the stereo music.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

WOW, I like that mix-it-2 On my list for sure.... Thanks!
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you put spacers and bring the Scala earphones closer to the ear, you have no problem with earplugs. You also don't have to have it on the highest setting for volume this way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    If you put spacers and bring the Scala earphones closer to the ear, you have no problem with earplugs. You also don't have to have it on the highest setting for volume this way.
    That's correct...The extra foam pads that came with my daughter's bicycle helmet were cut to size and work GREAT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I used fine velcro that you can get by the roll at Harbor freight to move the G4 speakers out closer to my ear. Made a huge difference in sound volume, and I can now take phone calls at highway speeds.

Also... I thought I had the Scala speakers positioned properly in my helmet... I was totally wrong. I had them too high in the helmet recess and had to move them down as far as I could. They were actually sitting higher on my ear than I thought.

Between moving the speakers and adding 3 velcro layers as spacers to move them closer to my ears, they now sound great.

Also, I have the DRIOD Incredible by HTC. I've had no problems pairing it to the SCALA and it is running stereo. Sometimes it is the phone that may support stereo via plug, but not stereo via Bluetooth. My 2 year old blackberry is a good example of only supporting mono blue tooth.

I would love the option of ear buds, but I can hack those in if I get around to it.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Man you guys are into this stuff! Pretty cool idea on that mixer Firefly. I might look into it for sure. I never thought I would want any of that stuff untill I won this O'Niel Tirade helmet from my dealer that had the Blinc III Bluetooth integrated.

This helmet is not a bad helmet at all. Aerodynamically it does a fine job and is very comfortable. The Sizing is a bit weird though. I had to go to a medium. I usually take a large on other helmets. But the bluetooth technology surprised me. I actually like it!

I have a Samsung Omnia 2 phone which has a great MP3 player on it and I have a 16GB chip installed - so I have all the tunes I need. Plus it does FM radio! The Sound quality, though in Stereo is not very good. Call quality is excellent however and the unit is very easy to use. I think I might try adjusting the speakers up closer to my ears as others have suggested. I think that would help alot.

Another knock on the O'Niel is that it is only compatible with other Blinc helmets, so you are very limited to who you can link up to. But it does what I need it to do and it's cool!

Last thing- Ear plugs. I have had 4 tumors removed from my head over 7 major operations, so my head and ears are pretty much shot anyhow! However, the best ear plugs I have found to date is Doctor's Pro Plugs - You can get them at local surf shops or hearing centers. They have worked the best for me, and I have some experience with ear plugs!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

The best speakers I've found are on the J&M Bluetooth headset they have a couple options on speaker size too.
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

Here's my setup using the Mix-It...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23238

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I use EarPro by SureFire EP3 earplugs - they have a built in filter that allows sound up to 85dB straight through with little attenuation, yet stop anything above.

I ride with these and love them. I shoot with them (everything from .22LR to .50 BMG and a Dillon mini-gun with no hearing issues). The also pass music fairly well. (my son uses them when playing in his band)

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Caveat - I work for SureFire, so this may be a bit biased... however, militaries from around the world are now using EP3's as standard issue for their soldiers - not just for protection from the impulse noise of shooting, but for normal, day to day noise like that in a Humvee - which will cause hearing damage with enough exposure. They really do work, yet allow normal sounds that are below damage threshold through. For me, the helmet wind noise and buffeting goes from a major annoyance to barely noticeable.

And, they're relatively cheap - about $13 and last for 6 months or longer... you can usually find them at your local gun store and many major auto parts stores will be carrying them soon.

Sorry, does this sound too much like a commercial? Whether I worked for them or not, I would still suggest them for this applicaton.
    Last edited by QuadManiac; 10-01-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    '08 SE5 #123 - Red - F1 Slider - BRP Comfort Seat - Spyder City 3" Riser

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I too had poor sound when I first installed the G4 into my helmet, but after I adjusted the speaker placement, I am VERY happy with the volume and sound quality.
    Just my .02
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)