Spyder Garage

Default ? w/Evoluzione filter

Probably been covered...several pages of search later I'm back here asking.

Purchased an Evoluzione performance filter, slapping it in this weekend. Question...reusable but what do others clean their filter with exactly? Dawn?

Yea, I know...stupid question.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is what I use on all of my foam filter elements. Works great, even on the quad.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000WJX8QW/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive"][/ame]
    Last edited by dave01; 09-21-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have used Kerosene on all my foam filters over the years. I find nothing works better. Then I wash in warm soapy water to get out the smell.

Spyder Garage

It is a gauze filter material, and all I have ever needed was water to clean it. Dawn is probably ok if you really need it, but the easiest thing to do is just check with Ken.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How To Clean!!

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    Probably been covered...several pages of search later I'm back here asking.

Purchased an Evoluzione performance filter, slapping it in this weekend. Question...reusable but what do others clean their filter with exactly? Dawn?

Yea, I know...stupid question.
    Tap it = 85% clean
    Vacuum it = 96% clean
    Wash clean = 100% clean......run under water from the inside out.....if the filter is coated with road grime or grease use mild detergent and water.It can be completely submerged!Never oil this filter.Let filter dry completely before re-install!!

Spyder Garage

I wonder how the dishwasher will work with dawn.
    2008 SM5, F1 EvoIII slide, Hindle, Race Air Flow System, O2 Delete, Fuel Pressure Modfier, Powerbus System, BRP 6 Spoke, 12V power supply x2, 1" Handel Bar Riser, CompuStar Alarm System w/pager, Mono Seat Cover, Brake Caliper Trim, Trunk Liner, Outdoor Cover, Carbon Fiber SM5 Handelbar Inserts, Carbon Fiber Tank Knee Pads, TBR Juice Box.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
    I tried dawn in a dishwasher and going to get something to drink, found a wall of suds, spreading into the family room. Its a good thing I was just out on the deck and not back in my room, in another building.

Reminded me of that old movie "Mr Roberts" when Ens. Pulver (Jack Lemmon) blewup the laundry.

Don't try it!
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

I would double check on whether this filter requires oil. Almost all foam filters require oil to work properly. I know the filter that comes with the race intake comes with oil on it. Not sure about the performance filter but would not put on before checking if it requires oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Buelldog View Post
    Tap it = 85% clean
    Vacuum it = 96% clean
    Wash clean = 100% clean......run under water from the inside out.....if the filter is coated with road grime or grease use mild detergent and water.It can be completely submerged!Never oil this filter.Let filter dry completely before re-install!!

Spyder Garage

It's like putting too much soap in your washer .... except its 100 times worse.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Regarding the EVO performance Air Filter:

"featuring the latest in synthetic dry media (meaning no more messy cleaners & oils), this high flow air filter produces the best clean air flow with the lowest restriction - this is possible by employing larger pleats than other standard filters. this filter is a direct drop-in replacement for the restrictive factory filter. also important, this filter utilize a synthetic "cotton gauze" material that can be cleaned & reused. "

Given this, I would imagine a very mild solution of Dawn and water would clean the element very well. I have one and I like it very much. This is what I plan to use to clean it when the time comes. I believe Buelldog has it pretty much on the mark. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-23-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Wild View Post
    It's like putting too much soap in your washer .... except its 100 times worse.
    A few years ago i brought my hunting clothes home to wash, Wife won't let me bring them in the house let alone wash them in her washer.
    So i go to the Laundromat, Lode the clothes in the big washer in the back, and as I'm about to add my soap the attendant grabs the soap from me and said you men always add too much soap, I'll do it.
    Then after she adds the soap she gos out front to smoke.
    Well i figure what does she know about hunting clothes, So i add what i think is the ''RIGHT'' amount. Within minutes the suds are going out the door of the laundromat, she comes running in yelling at me, I say why are you blaming me you put the soap in.
    Nice guy that i am i did offer to help clean up, but she only had one mop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    A few years ago i brought my hunting clothes home to wash, Wife won't let me bring them in the house let alone wash them in her washer.
    So i go to the Laundromat, Lode the clothes in the big washer in the back, and as I'm about to add my soap the attendant grabs the soap from me and said you men always add too much soap, I'll do it.
    Well i figure what does she know about hunting clothes, So i add what i think is the ''RIGHT'' amount. Within minutes the suds are going out the door of the laundromat, she comes running in yelling at me, I say why are you blaming me you put the soap in.
    You dawg! That is too funny!!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My dishwasher uses Sunlight. She's says Dawn don't cut the grease good enough.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No Oil!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    I would double check on whether this filter requires oil. Almost all foam filters require oil to work properly. I know the filter that comes with the race intake comes with oil on it. Not sure about the performance filter but would not put on before checking if it requires oil.
    As mentioned by others in this thread.......this filter is NOT a foam filter.....it is a two-layer synthetic dry media that requires NO OIL to filter out dirt.It is manufactured by AFE advanced flow engineering, Corona,Calif.
    Because it uses no oil, cleaning is quick and easy!!

Spyder Garage

Much appreciate the responses. Odd how this filter...as expensive as it is doesn't come with cleaning only installation directions. Bit of an oversight there truth be told.

Good thing others here had the answer!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    That is funny.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.