Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Failures??

I have 22,000 miles on my 2008 Spyder. I had the brakes adjusted today and the mechanic indicated that there were strange noises coming from the trans when I slowed down. He indicated that the only way to diagnose is to take the engine and trans out of the Spyder and crack the cases. Has anyone else had any trans problems? I cannot remember hearing about trans problems with any motorcycle.

Thanks,

Craig Clive
    Regards,

Craig Clive
    Ellicott City, MD

06/06/2011 25,291 Miles Average MPG 32.2

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default transmission trouble

My 2008 SM5 with 30,000 miles is in the shop and they found a broken ball bearing on the oil drain plug. They have the engine and case split and found the clutch shaft bearing had failed.
    Twice the transmisson would not upshift and then the technican had a noise in fifth gear.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default transmision

Quote Originally Posted by craigclive View Post
    I have 22,000 miles on my 2008 Spyder. I had the brakes adjusted today and the mechanic indicated that there were strange noises coming from the trans when I slowed down. He indicated that the only way to diagnose is to take the engine and trans out of the Spyder and crack the cases. Has anyone else had any trans problems? I cannot remember hearing about trans problems with any motorcycle.

Thanks,

Craig Clive
    First of all, how do you adjust the brakes on a vehicle that has disk brakes? One does not have to adjust the brakes. I would look for another mechanic.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
    First of all, how do you adjust the brakes on a vehicle that has disk brakes? One does not have to adjust the brakes. I would look for another mechanic.

Being the Devils advocate, Maybe he meant the Park brake.?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default update

The rear brake was squealing and They unglazed the discs to quiet it. Recommended non BRP brake pads. In researching I find the issue may be the belt. After I had the reat tire replaced I found a slapping noise around 25-30 mph when slowing down. they are calling it a trans issue but I wonder if this could be the problem?
    Regards,

Craig Clive
    Ellicott City, MD

06/06/2011 25,291 Miles Average MPG 32.2

Spyder Garage

Well, I'd say a belt tension check/adjustment is not only a good idea but a heck of a lot cheaper than cracking the cases dude!

And if there is any destruction going on inside the cases it will show up in drained oil. Just my $0.02
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

This is my story. :-(
    I was driving to work when I would accelerate the engine would race but the vehicle would not move. I was able to turn around and get back to the local corner. I called Geico about having the vehicle towed home because I have that on the insurance policy. She said that it would not be a problem. I asked btw what was the limit on my towing policy. She said it was to the closest dealer...I said great, can it go to Fresno (135 miles)? She said not a problem. I said load it up and I will call the dealer. (yea Geico)
    Then I get a call from the dealer saying that it is not the clutch like they thought but are not sure what it is. They wanted to know if I had any work done on it recently. They also said that it would take four weeks to get the recall done. I only have 19,000 on it. So now I wait for a diagnosis. Thankgoodness for extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by craigclive View Post

Thanks,

Craig Clive