Spyder Garage

Default Gas smell during and after ride

Does anyone have problem with gas smell during or after riding? No leaks found but strong smell especially after riding. Dealer say's this is normal???

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Does anyone have problem with gas smell during or after riding? No leaks found but strong smell especially after riding. Dealer say's this is normal???
    Normal' is MOST dealer's way of saying I don't know [how/want] to fix it

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Normal' is MOST dealer's way of saying I don't know [how/want] to fix it
    Thats what I was told to. Its normal. Funny, I have been riding bikes since the age of 8 and can not remember my parents or myself complaining about fuel smells in the garage, like my RT does. I have been putting a fan on in the garage once I get done ryding for the night to blow out the fumes. I need some no smoking signs for the driveway though.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's terrible. I put both my Spyders in a 12x16 shed and when you open the door the next morning you get stoned.

Spyder Garage

no smell at all from mine

Spyder Garage

Justin, We will need your address so we can come by to
    "investigate" these alleged stoners.
    Or you might want to consider a vent for you building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    It's terrible. I put both my Spyders in a 12x16 shed and when you open the door the next morning you get stoned.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Gas smell is not normal! Check connections on the fuel pump as well as the evap. cannister. They are right next to each other under the right top panel.

Spyder Garage

Default gas smell

Well, sounds like I'm not the only one. Maybe BRP has an answer. My fuel gauge fluctuates alot to when riding. And when I'm dead on empty I can only put in about 3.5 gallons and it almost overflows.

Spyder Garage

You might try plugging the purge valve hose, disconnecting the evap cannister and routing the gas tank vent to the rear of the bike. It takes about 15 minutes, a bolt, hose clamp and 4' of 1/4" fuel line and a coupler. Try this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=cannister
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Well, sounds like I'm not the only one. Maybe BRP has an answer. My fuel gauge fluctuates alot to when riding. And when I'm dead on empty I can only put in about 3.5 gallons and it almost overflows.
    The gas gauge problem can be cured with the new, redesigned gauge. Mine is great now.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    A gas smell is not normal for any street vehicle. Get this looked at! I'd try a different dealer. You don't want to end up like the below.
    For not being normal, all 3 of our Spyders smell like raw fuel from time to time. 2 Phantoms and an RT. Wouldn't bother me if they burnt. Just means I get a new one.lol

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    Justin, We will need your address so we can come by to
    "investigate" these alleged stoners.
    Or you might want to consider a vent for you building.
    I'm in Ontario Canada, Come on down and investigate.lol

Spyder Garage

I also get a strong gas smell on occasion but not consistant enough to be able to track it down. It's one of the things on my list to have the dealer check when it goes in for the new DPS.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Texmac1011 View Post
    You might try plugging the purge valve hose, disconnecting the evap cannister and routing the gas tank vent to the rear of the bike. It takes about 15 minutes, a bolt, hose clamp and 4' of 1/4" fuel line and a coupler. Try this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=cannister
    I did this on my RS, but now I have the " its insured, under warranty and I will let BRP find the problem" attitude. Last thing I want is for me to do anything and then have them say its not covered because of a modification I made. I just make sure I have documentation for any time my Spyder goes to the shop and what I discuss with the dealership.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pjp623 View Post
    I also get a strong gas smell on occasion but not consistant enough to be able to track it down. It's one of the things on my list to have the dealer check when it goes in for the new DPS.
    I think you'll find the evap. vent hose driping gas at the end of a ride. Look under the Spyder (front center) about 3-4 min. after a ride and I think you'll see it driping. Exhaust pipe routing is so close to gas tank, it heats up the gas tank and resulting fumes are pushed through evap. can and out vent hose. I've gotten in the habit of leaving mine outside after a long ride till it cools off, then putting it in garage. Scotty once told me that it might of been caused by overfilling the gas tank but I think it's the constant heating of the gas tank by the exhaust pipe location.

Spyder Garage

Default gas smell/gauge flux

Well, I must say this has been eye opening. I'm so glad I found this site. Unfortunately finding another dealer is easier said than done. Small town, one dealer. I have located another one about 90 minutes away. Think I'll contact them. My dealer is more interested in working on PWCs and 4 wheelers than my Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not catching any fuel smells from mine... but I guess that we'll have have to ride to Justin's for the party!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Vapor Smell

I just recently purchased a used 08 RS with 3500 miles and noticed the overwhelming fuel smell after the bike reached operating temp, and my husband riding behind me could even smell it. After doing extensive research I told the dealer my issue and found on the BRP website a update to the evap canisters vent tube. Before I dropped the bike off I checked that vent tube and found that it vented directly over the right side Y-Pipe connector.....not safe at all and can understand the fire issues some spyder owners are having. The dealer performed the update and rerouted the vent tube down across the tranny and through the splash shield. Since then the fuel vapors have drastically reduced to what I agree is normal. However, as I was riding home after the repair the right side Y-pipe gasket blew and the bike started getting super hot. I am now in the process of wrapping the exhaust and replacing that gasket, but if the vent tube had not been rerouted and the gasket started leaking I could have been the next owner with a fire problem.

Spyder Garage

They are like a horse. If you ridem hard and put them up wet they smell
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around