Spyder Garage

Exclamation Need help before going to dealer

Here lately when I start the Spyder up from a cold start it sounds like it is starting fine. It seems to be running fine then within 5/10 secs of starting it shuts off. Only does it on the first start of a cold start up. Second crank always is fine. Never did this til lately. I am scheduled for the new DPS this week and didn't know if it is something the shop needs to deal with or if it is normal to do this/what might be causing it?

Otherwise it runs/idles fine, no lights/indicators on.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by stgilmer; 09-20-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Not normal...have the tech check it out. If it only happens when cold, though, you may have to leave it a few days. New plugs may cure it, but there is usually a reason that they foul.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stgilmer View Post
    Here lately when I start the Spyder up from a cold start it sounds like it is starting fine. It seems to be running fine then within 5/10 secs of starting it shuts off. Only does it on the first start of a cold start up. Second crank always is fine. Never did this til lately. I am scheduled for the new DPS this week and didn't know if it is something the shop needs to deal with or if it is normal to do this/what might be causing it?

Otherwise it runs/idles fine, no lights/indicators on.

Thanks!!!
    Check battery connections and voltage just to make sure all connections are tight and that your battery isn't having any problems. I've seen loose electrical connections cause strange things.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lightman02 View Post
    Check battery connections and voltage just to make sure all connections are tight and that your battery isn't having any problems. I've seen loose electrical connections cause strange things.
    Also check for loose relays.

Spyder Garage

Yep, already tightened the battery cables. It is almost like when I had my Vstar and had to choke it to start and if it wasn't choked enough it would run a sec then shut off. Didn't think it was normal being we have fuel injected. Is something like plugs covered under warranty if they have fouled that quick?

Oh, all relays are good and seated also.

Hasn't been rode a whole lot lately, could it be the gas. It does get real hot, above 100 where I keep it, moisture could have formed to cause it?? just a thought.