Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Works Performance Shocks

I am returning home from visiting Works Performance in Canoga Park, CA. It was worth the ride and we accomplished what could never be done over the phone.

Pierre (engineer) immediately took the RT for a ride to get a personal feel the bike's behavior on the road, in turns, braking, etc. They pulled a front shock and subjected it to testing and measurement. BTW, mine has a 300 lb spring. They then ran these measurements, along with bike weights through their software to calculate shock specs.

Recognizing the problem with an exposed lower shaft, they designed a shock with the shaft at the top. The final product was a dual rate spring (300 & 425) with a bridged reservoir at the bottom and with adjustable preload and rebound.

The shock was mocked up and installed to check clearances, ride height, bottoming, and to make sure I wouldn't run into any install problems.

As part of the process, it was found that the bike's pivot point is such that when my wife climbed on, the added weight transferred to the rear suspension and front ride height was unaffected.

So my shocks will be ready in a week or two (they were waiting on one of the two springs to come back from being coated). Will post pictures of shocks and install process.

The price point will be $1,105 for the pair. A less expensive solution could probably be available if one were to go with a single spring, etc. Ask for Tom Edison.

P.S. Lamonster - This Tapatalk app works great.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool!

Very nice.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the effort to get this done with Works Performance and thanks for the great report. I have Works shocks on my R1100RT BMW and they are really good. Works Performance is one of the premier shock builders in the country in my opinion. I'll be looking for your install and pics even though that's a lot of bucks. Oh well, might as well save my money for something good.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Interesting... Pierre mentioned that the specs ended up closely mirroring some shocks he had done for the BMW.

Spyder Garage

so what shocks did you have on there when they tested it?

the stock BRP shocks?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What they tested...

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    so what shocks did you have on there when they tested it?

the stock BRP shocks?
    They pulled one of the stock shocks and ran compression tests which involved starting with the stock in a static position, and then compressing it in 1/2" increments and measuring incremental resistance. I watched as they did it and they walked me through the math (to satisfy my curiosity). The test demonstrated that the stock shock was a 300 lb spring.

Several posters, including Lamont, have indicated that there RTs have 250 lb springs. I wonder if BRP increased the springs during the production run?

The shock that they spec'd out and recommended after both ride tests and various calculations was a dual rate sprint, combining 300 lb and 425 lb springs. I do believe that having them work directly on the bike is superior to trying to get the right answer over the phone and through trial and error.
    Last edited by 3Ryder; 09-20-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Ryder View Post
    .....Several posters, including Lamont, have indicated that there RTs have 250 lb springs. I wonder if BRP increased the springs during the production run?
    They were speaking of their Elka shocks.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the clarification, Scotty

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    They were speaking of their Elka shocks.

Spyder Garage

Question

We've got a new set of shocks on our wish list.

Vaughn wants to know if either the Elkas or WP shocks are rebuildable???
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Works shocks on my BMW are rebuildable and I believe that all their shocks are rebuildable. By the way, I sold my BMW Saturday. I hated to, but it wasn't being ridden and there's nothing worse than watching a good motorcycle sit still. I probably had not ridden it more than a half dozen times since we got the Spyder in April. My good friend's son wanted it so it's going to a good home where it will be ridden more.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    The Works shocks on my BMW are rebuildable and I believe that all their shocks are rebuildable. By the way, I sold my BMW Saturday. I hated to, but it wasn't being ridden and there's nothing worse than watching a good motorcycle sit still. I probably had not ridden it more than a half dozen times since we got the Spyder in April. My good friend's son wanted it so it's going to a good home where it will be ridden more.

Cotton
    Yes, the Works Performance shocks are rebuildable, and I would expect the same of all the custom shocks, including Elka. BTW, WP said that I should get ~35k out of the shocks before they need maintenance.

Spyder Garage

Yes, the Works Performance shocks are rebuildable, and I would expect the same of all the custom shocks, including Elka. BTW, WP said that I should get ~35k out of the shocks before they need maintenance.
    Vaughn has run WP on his bikes for years, so that's a good endorsement for the product.
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default A little more info on the WP shocks...

Here is the description I just pulled from an email exchange with WP:

The shocks are fully adjustable; 18 position adjustable rebound damping, 20 position compression damping and threaded spring preload. Dual rate springs (300 and 425 lbs). Shaft at top and bridged (not remote) reservoir at bottom. They hope to be able to come up with some less costly versions; maybe in the $500-$600 range.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Additional Works Performance Options

Other models to be offered for both the RS750 and RT9 will be:

1) G Series, an all black, nitrogen charged, oil damped shock w/single rate (black) springs, 5/8 inch dia . shafts and threaded spring preload @ $509/pair.

2) G Series, an all black, nitrogen charged, oil damped shock w/dual rate rate springs, 5/8 inch dia . shafts and threaded spring preload @ $555/pair.

These shocks have internal floating pistons separating the nitrogen fron the oil to allow them to be mounted with the shock shafts at the top. See example below.

**EXAMPLE OF G SERIES SHOCK TYPE ONLY. APPEARANCE WILL VARY WITH SPECIFIC APPLICATION. (Shown w/dual rate springs).
    Last edited by 3Ryder; 09-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Other models to be offered for both the RS750 and RT9 will be:

1) G Series, an all black, nitrogen charged, oil damped shock w/single rate (black) springs, 5/8 inch dia . shafts and threaded spring preload @ $509/pair.

2) G Series, an all black, nitrogen charged, oil damped shock w/dual rate rate springs, 5/8 inch dia . shafts and threaded spring preload @ $555/pair.

These shocks have internal floating pistons separating the nitrogen fron the oil to allow them to be mounted with the shock shafts at the top. See example below.

**EXAMPLE OF G SERIES SHOCK TYPE ONLY. APPEARANCE WILL VARY WITH SPECIFIC APPLICATION. (Shown w/dual rate springs).
    excellent info... so what do I gain by going to the shocks they are installing for you versus the 2nd one above ... i assume the 2nd one means there is two springs like your a 300# and 450# spring?

are you going with all black as well for color?
    Last edited by clueless; 09-30-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Calling WP...

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    Thanks 3Ryder for the info. I'm in the process of putting my options list together for my new RS and I will be giving WP a call. At this point I had decided to go with the Elka, 3 way+ for the rear and a pair of 2way for the front. I wonder what they have that is comparable in price and performance.
    Ask for Tom Edison. Works Performance Products, Inc., 21045 Osborne Street , Canoga Park, CA 91304 818-701-1010 ext 21

Not being a shock engineer or knowing the Elka shock specs, I can only guess that the ones I have purchased are close or identical to the Elkas you mention. One advantage of the WP over the Elkas may have nothing to do with performance but cosmetics and wear. WP designed the shocks for my RT with a bridged reservoir at the bottom which means I don't have to find the best place to mount a remote reservoir. Second, they designed the shock with the shaft at the top so anyone concerned about road debris hitting the shaft should not have to worry. Talk to Tom. They've been in the business for years. And the owner, Gilles Vaillancourt, is a hydraulics engineer and member of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame. He and his nephew, Pierre, worked hand in hand to spec out the prototype shocks for my RT. Not trying to change your mind as much as encouraging you gather more information from people who actually built the RT shock using and riding the RT.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Partial answer...

excellent info... so what do I gain by going to the shocks they are installing for you versus the 2nd one above ... i assume the 2nd one means there is two springs like your a 300# and 450# spring?

are you going with all black as well for color?
    My shocks will have more adjustability and a bridged reservoir. As to overall performance, I encourage you to call Tom Edison at WP and talk to him (see post below). I'm just not schooled enough to give you a more detailed opinion.

I did go with black although they have white, pale blue and red springs, I believe. Black seemed to look best to me. They don't recommend anodized parts as they tend to get scratched from road debris, although less likely for our kind of riding than other bikes, I would think.

Spyder Garage

My shocks will have more adjustability and a bridged reservoir. As to overall performance, I encourage you to call Tom Edison at WP and talk to him (see post below). I'm just not schooled enough to give you a more detailed opinion.

I did go with black although they have white, pale blue and red springs, I believe. Black seemed to look best to me. They don't recommend anodized parts as they tend to get scratched from road debris, although less likely for our kind of riding than other bikes, I would think.
    thanks looks like you went with the RACER model... would like to get that in the gold finish (think that would look nice on the BLUE RTS). also get the ARS option.

dont see the G series listed on their website.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Shocks not on website...

thanks looks like you went with the RACER model... would like to get that in the gold finish (think that would look nice on the BLUE RTS). also get the ARS option.

dont see the G series listed on their website.
    The shocks they built for me were assembled specifically for the RT. The end result may mimic one of their shock models, but they are unique. They probably haven't posted the pictures on their website yet. I expect my shocks today and will post pics of them and the install.

Spyder Garage

Default Got my Suzi VL on the block

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post

Cotton
    After 10 years and almost 80K on my VL-1500, it is up for sale . . . just seems a shame to let her sit in the garage. . . . . Oregon moisture isn't kind to ignored machinery. Our Spyders have given new meaning to the words 'fun factor' . . . . . and there isn't a lot of time for polishing when there is time to ride . . . . glad your beamer went to a good place! Really curious to see how the Works shocks function; I think they would be my choice just from my motorcycle experience. Vaughn
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default WP Shocks installed...

Received the shocks yesterday and mounted them this morning. Very straight forward installation, with one exception. Space for the upper bolt on the left shock is very dear. I was able to find a low profile Kobalt ratchet that worked well; a standard ratchet and socket is just too tall to work. BTW - the bolts are 15mm.

Did not attempt to adjust anything; just went for a ride. Chose not to think about the shocks but rather let them "tell me" subconsciously about any difference. First thing I noticed was the dive when braking hard was noticeably reduced. The second thing was that, as hoped for, the bike was much flatter in the corners. The ride was marginally stiffer, but over rapid bumps, I thought the wheels were more glued to the ground. Sorry I can't be more technical, but I'm not an expert. Might have more to say after more miles, but safe to say, I'm very pleased. My old shocks found a new home on an RS.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Shock request...

Does anyone have a used (damaged or otherwise) RT shock that they wouldn't mind parting with?

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Received the shocks yesterday and mounted them this morning. Very straight forward installation, with one exception. Space for the upper bolt on the left shock is very dear. I was able to find a low profile Kobalt ratchet that worked well; a standard ratchet and socket is just too tall to work. BTW - the bolts are 15mm.

Did not attempt to adjust anything; just went for a ride. Chose not to think about the shocks but rather let them "tell me" subconsciously about any difference. First thing I noticed was the dive when braking hard was noticeably reduced. The second thing was that, as hoped for, the bike was much flatter in the corners. The ride was marginally stiffer, but over rapid bumps, I thought the wheels were more glued to the ground. Sorry I can't be more technical, but I'm not an expert. Might have more to say after more miles, but safe to say, I'm very pleased. My old shocks found a new home on an RS.
    Now these are the Shocks I should have bought. I couldn't wait for anything so I bought the Elkas and complained about the 300 lb springs to no avail. Your progressive 300/425 lb springs sound perfect as my 300 lb springs needed to have my compression and rebound set to just about 2 clicks from max to get it to stand up straight in the turns, well flatten out so to speak. I had to also cover the lower shocks to protect the shafts from road debri and my cover get awlful dirty so I can't imagine how long it would take to get those seals to leak. Congratulations on your purchase, wish Elka could get on the ball and use the same springs. They should have done the same homework as WP did !!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default More thoughts on shocks...

Did quite a bit of riding over the weekend and continue to feel more and more comfortable with these shocks. The bike feels glued to the ground in quick lane changes and corners. The sweeping curves entering highways beg for acceleration. Given the fundamental geometry of the bike, the limit that I bump up against now seems to be the rear getting loose.

Have yet to make any adjustments yet. May experiment on a limited scale just to get a feel for what the differences may be.

In the prior post on the install, I forgot to mention (although many of you may understand) that you will need to jack up the bike on the center frame rail to take weight off the shock, both in removal and installation. You will need to slowly get the suspension to a point where the lower bolt frees enough to remove/install. I rolled the front wheels up on a 2x6 so my jack would slide easily into position for the job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
    Now these are the Shocks I should have bought. I couldn't wait for anything so I bought the Elkas and complained about the 300 lb springs to no avail. Your progressive 300/425 lb springs sound perfect as my 300 lb springs needed to have my compression and rebound set to just about 2 clicks from max to get it to stand up straight in the turns, well flatten out so to speak. I had to also cover the lower shocks to protect the shafts from road debri and my cover get awlful dirty so I can't imagine how long it would take to get those seals to leak. Congratulations on your purchase, wish Elka could get on the ball and use the same springs. They should have done the same homework as WP did !!!!
    I'm not sure why these are not working for you, they're working great for me.

You can add a dual rate spring to your Elka's if you like. Give them a call.