Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Recall the Recall?

As I previously posted:

I was really looking forward to ryding Saturday in the 9/11 parade in Phelan, California with a group of Spyder Ryders, but my Spyder is at the dealers waiting for the 2nd generation DPS. I took it in on Monday because the steering was going out again. They checked it out and ordered my second DPS replacement that was delivered to dealer today. At the same time they received notice of recall. So, they had to re-order the new part. I have just one question....Why would BRP send the old unit knowing one day later they would be announcing the recall?

Well, here’s the rest of the story……

The dealer called me the next day and I was told the NEW DPS was installed and ready to be picked up. I was so happy to pick it up and not have to worry any longer about steering issues…..That lasted about 10 miles and then the “Limp Home” “Check DPS” began scrolling again. Limped it back to dealers and they worked on it for a couple of hours and sent me on my way again….Another 15 miles and the same thing happened, but this time the steering became so hard it was almost impossible to turn. The dealer picked it up and now I wait for their analysis. I was just wondering if I simply got a defective new DPS or if anybody else has had a problem with the ‘recall' unit?

Spyder Garage

Wow Pastor, that's terrible. I had the DPS recall done, even though I'd never had a problem. The new DPS seems to be a lot of skittish at speed. Where the old DPS really reduced the power steering as speed increased, this one doesn't seem to reduce it nearly as much, IF AT ALL. At this point I'm not too happy with the new DPS, but it may just take some time to get used to. The new one actually seems more dangerous to me, but that's probably just me.

Good luck...

Mike

Spyder Garage

I got mine done yesterday and I am very pleased. I had had no problem issues in 40K miles, had all the "updates" done, so I was happy with what I had. This one does take a few miles to adapt to it. I find it to be more responsive, tighter (not as much slack, maybe even no slack). I suggest to anyone after getting it done, take time to get used to it before you do any twisties. It's a new learning curve. Learn it, for your benefit.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

sorry to hear of your problems!
    I just got my back yesterday w/ the new dps installed. I was out for 3 months (Jan thru March) w/ dps issues previously.

I hope this an isolated incident!
    I may go postal if mine starts to have issues
    keeping my fingers crossed and hope yours is on the road pronto!
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. So far, I have had no issues with DPS on either vehicle. I have not received my recall letter from BRP yet, but am planning on taking both both Spyders in for the recall work when we fire the Spyders up in March 2011. We are getting to the last month for riding in Alaska, so I am not taking the bike into the shop for down time. Update: received my recall letters today.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Got my 2nd generation dps today. Rode home in the rain 75 miles and had no problem. Like Dudley said, the steering felt tighter and more responsive.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry you're having problems pastorchuck. I've had no problems with my steering but I took my RT in Tuesday for the recall. They got the new unit installed but did not get everything set in BUDDS by closing time so I left it and picked it up Wednesday afternoon and rode it home. On the RT I noticed little or no difference with the new unit. I'm about 35 miles from the dealer but this is west Texas and there are almost no turns on the highway between the dealer and my house. I need to get it on a road where there are some turns to see if I feel any difference. It seemed like it might take a little less effort to turn it than with the old DPS unit but I'm not sure, yet.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pastorchuck View Post
    As I previously posted:

I was really looking forward to ryding Saturday in the 9/11 parade in Phelan, California with a group of Spyder Ryders, but my Spyder is at the dealers waiting for the 2nd generation DPS. I took it in on Monday because the steering was going out again. They checked it out and ordered my second DPS replacement that was delivered to dealer today. At the same time they received notice of recall. So, they had to re-order the new part. I have just one question....Why would BRP send the old unit knowing one day later they would be announcing the recall?

The dealer called me the next day and I was told the NEW DPS was installed and ready to be picked up. I was so happy to pick it up and not have to worry any longer about steering issues…..That lasted about 10 miles and then the “Limp Home” “Check DPS” began scrolling again. Limped it back to dealers and they worked on it for a couple of hours and sent me on my way again….Another 15 miles and the same thing happened, but this time the steering became so hard it was almost impossible to turn. The dealer picked it up and now I wait for their analysis. I was just wondering if I simply got a defective new DPS or if anybody else has had a problem with the ‘recall' unit?
    They may have not reset the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) properly. If this is not done with the steering in the straight ahead position then it WILL throw the vehicle into limp home mode. It's very easy to fix, they really just have to drive the vehicle straight ahead, make sure the bars a center & the bike goes straight ahead & click the reset button with BUDS. If the SAS is off even 2 degress it will think the bike is trying to turn and the YAW RATE SENSOR will not indicate a turn. This fools the computer to think there is a defect with the DPS or SAS.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, GSS, the Tech said that was one of the first things he did but still has the problem. Thanks again for the input. Keep the ideas coming cuz somethings gotta work! By the way how's the weather in New Haven? It's turned cooler here, it was only102 degrees today!

Spyder Garage

Pastorchuck,

Check to see if the correct DPS was installed. I had mine done and it didn't work and they discovered they had put an RT unit is my GS. They took it apart again and put the correct DPS in and it works like a charm.

Go figure...
    Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

As I previously posted:

Interesting....I had mine done yesterday and got about 15 miles from the dealer and had the same exact problem. I did end up getting back to the dealer and my dealer did a resync or what ever they call it and double checked the connections. They did a 35 mile test ride and then drove it to me 50 miles to my house with no problems. Just finished doing a 40 mile ride tonight to double check and it worked great. I am leaving saturday for our 17 state tour to Spyder In the Smokies....so lets hope it is good. I must say that my spyder has never steered so easily until now. I think my power steering hasnt worked from day one.
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, GSS, the Tech said that was one of the first things he did but still has the problem. Thanks again for the input. Keep the ideas coming cuz somethings gotta work! By the way how's the weather in New Haven? It's turned cooler here, it was only102 degrees today!
    Very balmy 55 this morning. Fall is coming.
    It could be a bad SAS. I have had to replace a few of them.

Spyder Garage

Garganos, thanks, I will make sure they check that. And thanks to all for your encouragement and suggestions...

Also, here's a positive note:
    Carlo from BRP sent me a PM wanting more information. I sure I can get out there rydin' right away. I don't think I could handle a three month down time like musicarcade, cuz I don't think a pastor's allowed to go postal!!

Spyder Garage

I am glad you are my dealer! You know your stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by garganos View Post
    They may have not reset the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) properly. If this is not done with the steering in the straight ahead position then it WILL throw the vehicle into limp home mode. It's very easy to fix, they really just have to drive the vehicle straight ahead, make sure the bars a center & the bike goes straight ahead & click the reset button with BUDS. If the SAS is off even 2 degress it will think the bike is trying to turn and the YAW RATE SENSOR will not indicate a turn. This fools the computer to think there is a defect with the DPS or SAS.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Chuck ... I had the same problem after the first recall and they had to reformat the computer. They said the computer was ... confused. But GSS'ssssss deduction is the most reasonable assumption.

About the parade: great time of fellowship as always on a . The bikes had a horrible time however. Two out of the fourteen had to be towed out at parades end for cooling and clutch problems, at least 2 others went into LM because of the heat, and one (an RT) had to let the oil cool down for the clutch to work properly again. My bike got no higher than 6 bars either because of Spyderpops missing air dam or because I was travelling backwards in spots, uphill, both ways.

We haven't physically met yet but we will. Gotta take my bike to Riverside tomorrow to have the brakes replaced and bled off. BRAKE FAILURE message on the display board. Last couple days the message went away. ?????
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Got a call from my dealer yesterday. Looks like I'll be doing both of mine next week. The recall letters showed up in the mail box last night! Pretty good timing I suppose.

I have not really had any problems with either bike. Once The RS-S did a Check DPS warning, but I just rode it harder because I liked the way it felt (not as skiddish or responsive, I had to kind of throw it around more which I liked!) got home, parked it, and everything went back to nornal the next day.

Hopefully the "fix" won't cause any problems!
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-18-2010 at 05:45 AM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

sounds like they are going to recall the recall to the recall. brutal. I still haven't got the first recall done. think I'm going to lay back and see how many more issues arise before I make the 6 hour trip. way to go BRP, 3 strikes on the same issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dewie View Post
    sounds like they are going to recall the recall to the recall. brutal. I still haven't got the first recall done. think I'm going to lay back and see how many more issues arise before I make the 6 hour trip. way to go BRP, 3 strikes on the same issue.

This not a strike, it's a home run. They did this one right.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    This not a strike, it's a home run. They did this one right.

Cotton

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Gen. D.P.S.

I'm with you Dewey,I think I'm gonna lay low for a while and wait until I've seen some Spyders with more than a few hundred miles on the clock before I make the switch. Probably cant get mine to the dealership for a while anyway.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had the new DPS installed and immediately put a couple hundred miles on it. I really like the new feel. I think it's smoother.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oops!

Sorry, meant to say Dewie in my previous post.

Spyder Garage

Sorry you missed your ride Chuck and my apologies for not getting back with you as things have been very difficult around here...as usual.

Where did you take your Spyder this time?

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTripod View Post
    I'm with you Dewey,I think I'm gonna lay low for a while and wait until I've seen some Spyders with more than a few hundred miles on the clock before I make the switch. Probably cant get mine to the dealership for a while anyway.
    Got about 200 miles on mine now. So far so good!
    Happier Spyder Owner

Fairly happy 08 YELLOW SE5

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTripod View Post
    I've got just over 400 miles on my RT since changing the DPS. No problems.

Cotton