Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My awesome hindle exhaust (junk) video.

So i've had my spyder for about 30days now or so and love it for the most part, the thing that had proven to be the biggest problem so far is the way over priced junk hindle exhaust!! Although it does sound great, it seems every problem it can have it does have. First it was the leaking problem due to the lack of a slot for the clamp to properly seal the slip joint and now ALL of the heat shields rattle like crazy!!! These problems shouldn't be happening with a 500+ slip-on muffler!!

Less than 30days and a few hundred miles this is what condition my sweet muffler is in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5daRyWfsp8[/ame]

Just contacted the dealership I purchased the pipe at and sent them this same video. Do you guys think they will do anything to stand behind this product?

Thanks!
    James

BTW: this forum has been extreemly helpful and everyone I have had the pleasure to talk to on here has been great!

Spyder Garage

Wow, that must rattle like crazy while running! I have a Hindle - riding with it for about 3 thousand miles and no problems - your main problem is the rivets - you can replace them or use stainless metal screws and heat resistant silicone. The riveter was not on his game the day your "sweet" pipe was made.......

But it is an easy fix, although you should not have to do a fix at 500 miles!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
    Wow, that must rattle like crazy while running! I have a Hindle - riding with it for about 3 thousand miles and no problems - your main problem is the rivets - you can replace them or use stainless metal screws and heat resistant silicone. The riveter was not on his game the day your "sweet" pipe was made.......

But it is an easy fix, although you should not have to do a fix at 500 miles!
    I have a Hindle and I to have rattle like yours, I remove the rivets and replace for scruss, but I like to have the problem solve. My spyder is 2008 GS5 and I have for 6 months and 15K mls.

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

have on on my spyder and girls spyder ...never a problem ..... 24000 miles on mine 10000 on hers ....maybe just got a bad one ....

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Mine did the same thing. My husband reriveted (is that a word) it 6-8,000 miles ago and it needs it again..... next pipe will be a two brothers.

HAPPY FORMER OWNER of 2008 PE 3016

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc has been through several Hindles, so I'm not surprised. I know he had warranty issues with one dealer/BRP because he installed the Hindle and not the dealer. BRP ultimately made right with him with a replacement.

You can try to peen those rivets with a tapered punch, or just drill them out and use stainless screws.

However, with your mileage... I'd be asking for a new pipe. The Hindle really does have a nice note to it.

Spyder Garage

Mine did the same thing
    great feed back with pictures

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've replaced the rivets three times now and still rattles. It leaks also. It is annoying. The Hindle is $870.00 here in Canada.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post

You can try to peen those rivets with a tapered punch, or just drill them out and use stainless screws.

However, with your mileage... I'd be asking for a new pipe. The Hindle really does have a nice note to it.
    Don't try peening them it will start to collapse the pipe!Ask me how I knowDrill out the rivets and replace,although as mentioned you shouldn't have to at that mileage.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My front heat shield was rattling just like that, but my rear one has been fine so far. I took it to a shop to have them drill out the rivets and put new ones in. They did a great job at that, but scratched up the rear heat shield in the process. So, be careful what you wish for.

I would also talk to your dealer about it if they are the ones who ordered it and put it on for you. Perhaps mine was made on a Thursday, and yours was made on a Friday.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I haven't had any problems with mine (15k miles). Products of any kind have differences in manufacturing...sometimes happens...I would be unhappy too.

Keeping smiling and keep ryding!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default rivets loose for me too.

I have a leak these days and have had my heat shield rivets replaced once but it is rattling again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

POS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

not good to here, i just put on a hindle, considering the price you would think it would be bomb proof. i hope mine dont crap out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hindle

I have about 9,000 miles on my Hindle and all the shields are tight and never had any leaks. The Hindle (in my opinion) is the best sounding and best looking pipe option available, and it says CAN-AM on it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So I emailed the dealership yesterday with a link to that video, I figured if I sent a video it would be EXTREMELY clear what the issue is, I also requested that they PLEASE contact me regarding the situation. Well 10mins till 5 today I decided to go ahead and call them since they had not emailed or called me yet, I get to the parts department and the guy was a total a$$hole! His exact statement to me was "Well I have to speak to the owner of the dealership now to see what he wants to do, since you decided to put a video on the internet before contacting us." I was blown away!! lol, I was very polite and told him to please check with the owner, and see what they could do, and contact me back.

I really hope he doesn't turn this into a pissing match.

I will admit though, I was surprised the video got over 100 views in 24hrs. lol. Oh well, the pipe is coming off when the turbo goes on anyway. BUT I will promise that if they don't warranty this faulty overpriced part it will cost them MANY bike sales.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I like the sound too, not too loud and just loud enough. My other 2 cans were mega loud. The performance of the hindle is bang on.
    Not sure if my other cans might have been better performance wise and don't care if they were.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I have about 9,000 miles on my Hindle and all the shields are tight and never had any leaks. The Hindle (in my opinion) is the best sounding and best looking pipe option available, and it says CAN-AM on it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WrapFactory View Post
    So I emailed the dealership yesterday with a link to that video, I figured if I sent a video it would be EXTREMELY clear what the issue is, I also requested that they PLEASE contact me regarding the situation. Well 10mins till 5 today I decided to go ahead and call them since they had not emailed or called me yet, I get to the parts department and the guy was a total a$$hole! His exact statement to me was "Well I have to speak to the owner of the dealership now to see what he wants to do, since you decided to put a video on the internet before contacting us." I was blown away!! lol, I was very polite and told him to please check with the owner, and see what they could do, and contact me back.

I really hope he doesn't turn this into a pissing match.

I will admit though, I was surprised the video got over 100 views in 24hrs. lol. Oh well, the pipe is coming off when the turbo goes on anyway. BUT I will promise that if they don't warranty this faulty overpriced part it will cost them MANY bike sales.
    Now this is a very interesting development. Nowhere in the posting, or the video, did I see the name of the dealership you purchased the Hindle from, so what is the big deal. You posted a video of known issues with the quality of the Hindle exhaust, that is not a slam on them in any way at all.

I wonder what their reaction would have been if you had posted a great video and mentioned their dealership in it? Would they still be pissy about it? Highly doubtful.

Definitely keep us posted as to how this whole thing turns out for you. I wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved to your satisfaction.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

EXACTLY!!! Trust me if they want to make this a issue I will absolutely let everyone know about my dealings and absolutely list the name of the dealership.

This is the same dealership that I first test drove a spyder at, made them a cash offer to purchase one that night and they told me they wouldn't let any spyder go for less than msrp because they are to "hot" of an item. I went online and bought my RS-S for $16100 out the door from leaders marine, less than 2 days after my first test drive I was in my truck on the way (600 miles each way) to pick up my spyder from kalamazoo michigan and the local dealership literally called me on my cell phone and wanted to start dropping the price on there units. I said thanks but no thanks, I already put a deposit on one and am driving to pick it up (when I say I dont play games, I mean I dont play games!!)

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    Now this is a very interesting development. Nowhere in the posting, or the video, did I see the name of the dealership you purchased the Hindle from, so what is the big deal. You posted a video of known issues with the quality of the Hindle exhaust, that is not a slam on them in any way at all.

I wonder what their reaction would have been if you had posted a great video and mentioned their dealership in it? Would they still be pissy about it? Highly doubtful.

Definitely keep us posted as to how this whole thing turns out for you. I wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved to your satisfaction.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WrapFactory View Post
    EXACTLY!!! Trust me if they want to make this a issue I will absolutely let everyone know about my dealings and absolutely list the name of the dealership.

This is the same dealership that I first test drove a spyder at, made them a cash offer to purchase one that night and they told me they wouldn't let any spyder go for less than msrp because they are to "hot" of an item. I went online and bought my RS-S for $16100 out the door from leaders marine, less than 2 days after my first test drive I was in my truck on the way (600 miles each way) to pick up my spyder from kalamazoo michigan and the local dealership literally called me on my cell phone and wanted to start dropping the price on there units. I said thanks but no thanks, I already put a deposit on one and am driving to pick it up (when I say I dont play games, I mean I dont play games!!)

Spyder Garage

Dont lose heart.
    An easy fix is to drill out the rivets and replace with stainless steel ones.The crafty bit is to put a tiny spring washer on the rivet between the plate and Hindle body. This has the effect of taking up the expansion of the metals due to the constant heating and cooling, by taking up the tiny amount of slack the rattle is eliminated.
    Ask me how i know.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Well... You did right OP... And everyone has bad days or takes things personally before thinking them through (Not that I ever do though )

This is such small potatoes I bet the dealers parts guy will look back one day and feel like a schmuck on this. I hope it is sooner than later...

To me the dealer is worth more than the product. Granted I do realize I am in the minority on that... But every time I go to my dealer I am treated fairly and honestly. Really that is all I can ask for, and then I feel good about spending the $$ when I want or need to.

I am a three strikes your out kind of guy... So far on this I would be cautious, but willing to be a little patient at the same time.

P.S. I love the sound of my RT's Two Brothers far more than the Hindle, and so far so does everyone else that has heard it in person

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Y'all! So far 4000 miles on my Hindle and all is well. Everything is tight, no leaks and sounds great. Of course now that I have said that it'll probably fall off the bike!

But seriously I think there has to be a margin of product that doesn't get made quite to spec. Sounds like you may have gotten a hold of a bad one. I hope they make it right for you. That is way too soon to be having problems...

Spyder Garage

A littlee dental floss between the heat shield and the rivit takes care of the problem for me (mint flavor optional ). Add more floss as necessary.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well....

If the dealer won't stand behind it, I would email and send the video to Lang Hindle. They stand behind all their products!

I have a hindle with 28,000 on it no problems.

2faston3