Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation DPS Replacement- Letter to Owners

This is a copy of the letter we all will be getting about the DPS replacement.
    Download Owners Letter

Here's the link to the statement from the Vice President and General Manager Yves Leduc
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22645

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Zowie.

This is going to be a stampede.

Unless BRP has 12,000 (or more) of these units ready to ship, it's going to turn into a cluster really quick.

Under the "What You Should Do" section, it should state "Call an authorized BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer and determine if and when they have any DPS Systems in stock..."

Don't get me wrong, I applaud BRP's effort to make things right. I'm just concerned that this will result in a lot of owners WAITING for DPS units to be shipped to their dealer.

Spyder Garage

There will be a wait for sure but that's why you want to call and get in line. The time to change it out is around 2 hours, my guess is the dealers will be able to knock that down a bit after they've done a few. I don't have a issue so I'm in no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by wukka View Post
    Zowie.

This is going to be a stampede.

Unless BRP has 12,000 (or more) of these units ready to ship, it's going to turn into a cluster really quick.

Under the "What You Should Do" section, it should state "Call an authorized BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer and determine if and when they have any DPS Systems in stock..."

Don't get me wrong, I applaud BRP's effort to make things right. I'm just concerned that this will result in a lot of owners WAITING for DPS units to be shipped to their dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    There will be a wait for sure but that's why you want to call and get in line. The time to change it out is around 2 hours, my guess is the dealers will be able to knock that down a bit after they've done a few. I don't have a issue so I'm in no hurry.
    I'm in no hurry. I went to the dealer this morning for an OPS change and the svce. mgr. said he had me as the first on the DPS changeout list b/c I called him yesterday to give him a heads up on what was coming.

Spyder Garage

This is a copy of the letter we all will be getting about the DPS replacement.
    Download Owners Letter

Here's the link to the statement from the Vice President and General Manager Yves Leduc
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22645

Greatly appreciate your post and passing along this information, Lamont!

Spyder Garage

Don't have internet speed to open file, but guessing that BRP are talking about replacing DPS units.
    If anyone out there is talking to anyone with more than sawdust in their heads at BRP, could you find out what the position may be with a non-guaranteed bike in a foreign country that has no dealer, please.
    Much thanks, would love to get some info.
    Never got info from dealer who sold me the bike, or BRP.
    Best wishes to all DPS faultees out there.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont, any idea if there is going to be a time limit as to when this needs to be done for those of us who are not having problems and would like to wait until this years ryding season is over--yes in Vermont this is one of our 5 famous seasons and all too short.
    ".........regrets are only memories written across my brow, and there's nothing I can do about it now......" Wille Nelson

Spyder Garage

Date: September 7, 2010
    Re: Dynamic Power Steering (DPS) Unit Replacement
    Dear Can-Am'M Roadster Owner,

This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act and other applicable laws. Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. and BRP US Inc. ("BRP") have decided to conduct a voluntary safety recall of all Can-Am Roadster.

What is the potential problem?
    This defect relates to the DPS system in your vehicle. A situation may occur where you may need to exert a force greater than expected to initiate the turning of the steering handlebar of your vehicle in order to correct its trajectory. At this increased level of force the handlebar may be turned more than you had intended. If this occurs you may steer your vehicle out of lane which increases the possibility of a crash with other traffic or of a drive off the road.
    What should you do?

Call an authorized BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. We will replace the DPS in your vehicle with an improved version of DPS assembly. This work will be performed at no charge to you. You may have been previously notified of this defect and may already have had the software in your vehicle upgraded. BRP has decided to replace the DPS in your vehicle with an improved version of DPS as part of this recall. If you have previously responded to the recall, please respond again by contacting your dealer.

In the mean time be aware that a condition may arise where you need to use more force than expected to steer your vehicle. Stay alert and give yourself enough distance and time to react. BRP encourages you to pass on this information to any other driver of your vehicle.

What to do if you feel this notice is an error?
    This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.

For US residents only
    If you believe that the dealer or BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the problem within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1-888-327 -4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safecar.gov.

For Canadian residents only
    If you believe that the notification or correction is inadequate, that the manufacturer fails to correct the situation in accordance with the notification or it fails or is unable to correct the situation within 60 days, you may submit a complaint to the Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation Directorate of Transport Canada at 1-800-333-0510.
    If you have questions, need assistance, or to find the nearest authorized BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer:

• Visit www.can-am.brp.com
    • In the US and Canada: 1-888-638-5397
    9:30 to 17:30 Eastern time
    10:30 to 17:30 Eastern time
    Monday to Thursday
    Friday
    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
    Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.
    Sincerely,
    After-Sales Service Department,
    Bombardier Recreational Products Inc.
    Ski

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Stopped by my dealer today, Doc was there and we are on the list for them. Thanks for the early heads-up Lamont.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I checked with my dealer and he did not know anything about this. I just had my dps replaced 1.5 weeks ago but it looks like it will have to be done again per this recall.

Spyder Garage

I don't have a issue so I'm in no hurry.

I am more than willing to let those who have had problems get theirs taken care of before I get in line for it.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Default Same here...

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    Don't have internet speed to open file, but guessing that BRP are talking about replacing DPS units.
    If anyone out there is talking to anyone with more than sawdust in their heads at BRP, could you find out what the position may be with a non-guaranteed bike in a foreign country that has no dealer, please.
    Much thanks, would love to get some info.
    Never got info from dealer who sold me the bike, or BRP.
    Best wishes to all DPS faultees out there.
    I am in the same position here.

Wondering if I can do the exchange with detailed instructions, provided that there will be no need to connect the SE5 to a BUDS outlet to upgrade software.

Lamont or anybody can guess...?

Saludos, Pilo
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

Talked to a tech today and BUDS is needed to recalibrate the steering.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS replacement

My 2008 SM5 was in the local dealership today for rear tire and wheel bearing replacement. Dealer got the notification of the recall this morning. He saw dealers have an allotment of replacement DPS units but they only ship one and then have to return the old DPS before the next is sent out. Sounds like a very time consuming plan. Probably 3-5 days of shipping for a 2 hour replacement part.
    He also said they would not return my bike till the DPS is replaced. This may be a Can-Am liability reqirement but I may have to talk to him about a waiver if in want to still go to Spyders in the Smokeys. I reminded him I was going to the Smokeys and needed the bike soon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McGone View Post
    My 2008 SM5 was in the local dealership today for rear tire and wheel bearing replacement. Dealer got the notification of the recall this morning. He saw dealers have an allotment of replacement DPS units but they only ship one and then have to return the old DPS before the next is sent out. Sounds like a very time consuming plan. Probably 3-5 days of shipping for a 2 hour replacement part.
    He also said they would not return my bike till the DPS is replaced. This may be a Can-Am liability reqirement but I may have to talk to him about a waiver if in want to still go to Spyders in the Smokeys. I reminded him I was going to the Smokeys and needed the bike soon.
    Dealers get 5 at a time; then, they send back and get 5 more. Was at my dealer today.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McGone View Post
    If you are not currently experiencing any DPS issues, then there should be no reason for them to keep your Spyder. I have heard of dealerships that state if they order parts the machine stays with them until they are installed, but this is quite a different situation. BRP will be sending them the new units, and they will not have to worry about them sitting on a shelf and not being used. They should not hold your machine hostage, unless they know they will have a new unit in the next day or two, and let you go on about your life. You should be able to schedule this replacement when it is convenient for you, and the dealer has the new part in stock.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post

I am more than willing to let those who have had problems get theirs taken care of before I get in line for it.
    +1 here. Spyder is going to be winterized in a few months. Might do it right before or first thing in the spring. Will let dealer work their kinks out first.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont, I just got mine back on Aug 15th, with the 2nd replacement and the steering feels like a tire is stuck in a rut on a smooth flat road, when making a slight right turn. It doesn't do it everytime but, from my previous experiences with a lockup on the original and a notchy feeling on the 1st replacement in Sept 2009, I know it gets worse over time.

I'll call my dealer as soon as I get the letter and get in line.
    Happy Spyder Owner

2008 SM5, Trunk Liner, 2" Block Riser, ESI 3" Risers, Evoluzione Cycle o2 Sensor Mod, Corbin Seat and Large Oval Backrest, Madstad RoboBrackets and 24" Clear Windshield, Chrome Clear Catseye LED Tail/Brake/License Plate Light, Brake Strobe, Kuryakyn Grips, Kewlmetals Performance Air kit, Custom Dynamic Orange LED's, Spyder 1 Attitude Performance Exhaust RSS-18-B, Day Runners, Day Pucks, Rivco Highway Pegs, ESI Mirror Extensions, Rivco Floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PCBeachBum View Post
    I'll call my dealer as soon as I get the letter and get in line.
    I would call him now seeing he knows about it now.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default models effected

Is there a list somewhere of the effected models?

Spyder Garage

Talked to a tech today and BUDS is needed to recalibrate the steering.
    Sounds like a good time to do my own front end alignment and then let them reset the steering angle and torque offset sensors for free under the recall.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    Sounds like a good time to do my own front end alignment and then let them reset the steering angle and torque offset sensors for free under the recall.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsteffey View Post
    http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.go...9V162-9526.pdf

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jsteffey View Post
    Basically if you have a Spyder built before Aug 19, 2010 it is effected. RT and RS.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat