Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I had loose hose clamps and that would be on the right side.

I posted a video of the fuel spewing out. No fires though because HDX caught it when I started it up. I would think there would be fire if they were leaking and I kept riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    Very sorry to hear about and view the demise of your Spyder. Glad to hear that you had the chance to bail off of it before you were injured. It can be replaced!
    In the past posts I thought I had read about some hose clamps loosening and allowing some fuel seepage which would allow for volatile fumes to accumulate and provide an ignition source. I don't remember which side of the engine the posts were about, but it was just a thought.

Spyder Garage

Very glad you didn't get hurt jumping off it or get burned when the fire started! Also a blessing that the Spyder was outside when you started it and not in a garage where it could have burnt down your house!

I hope they can figure out what caused it. Maybe a loose clamp in the fuel line - it happened to me but we found it before I went riding on it. Couldn't miss it - was like garden hose spewing out the right side. Even if it was a small drip, maybe that caused it? Anyway, I am just glad you are alright. Spyder can be replaced - you can't be replaced so that is most important that YOU are ok!

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Smell.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSpyder View Post
    I am betting on a loose fuel line. Mine was leaking before I changed out the clamps. Maybe the evap cannister but less likely.

I have had the fuel smell since this Spyder hit the road 18 months ago. I have had it serviced each and every time at a BPR dealerships. It took visits to 3 dealerships before the 3rd one found the throttle body loose and fixed. The 3rd dealer also found the battery was going bad.
    The fuel smell was never an every time I use it thing. it has always been some time you start it you smell fuel and sometimes you didn’t. While most the time I smelt it was when I started it but not all the time. Some times when doing fast twisties you could smell fuel . My spyder spent 62 days in the shop and each time it went in I reported fuel smells.
    I was always the same answer. Could not duplicate the problem, possible canister vapor smell. That was the answer for the DPS steering problem, the fuel canister and every other problem it has had. If you read the forums here and on spyder talk there are a lot of people who have the fuel smell problem. They even have a take the canister off suggestion. If I had took it to the shop every time I could smell fuel it would only have 5000 miles on it and not 25000.
    So please understand this. I did not over fill the tank. At least 10 different times in the last 18 months when I smelt fuel I stopped and took the side panels off. No visual signs of a gas leak and I never saw fuel under it. But keep the suggestions coming in and maybe BRP will find an answer.

The only good news for me now is that my insurance has said it is covered if it is not a warranty thing.

I am not sure what was done when the canister was replaced. When I took this to the dealer and it was replaced it was under the guidance of BRP. I would expect them to do all recalls and fix everything. I will never make that mistake again. if and when it happend again there will be a go over everything do meeting when I pick up the machine.
    Last edited by Lone Spyder Ryder; 09-09-2010 at 01:43 AM.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Spyder Garage

Did they re-route your canister vent hose per update #2???

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Did they re-route your canister vent hose per update #2???
    I'm with you Firefly, I think the vent hose extension is the most important Mod that can be done to the Spyder. When the fire were happening last summer I took the plastics off mine and did not like the looks of that vent line location. I extended mine at that time (a couple of weeks before BRP started installing them). When I witnessed the fire on Jeff City Joes bike this summer I extended it all the way down the swing arm so the fumes can't rise back up under the tupperware.
    Happy Owner

spydee owner

I think this fire topic has been pretty much flogged to death ... collect the insurance, get another bike and move on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leoejr View Post
    I have had the fuel smell since this Spyder hit the road 18 months ago. I have had it serviced each and every time at a BPR dealerships. It took visits to 3 dealerships before the 3rd one found the throttle body loose and fixed. The 3rd dealer also found the battery was going bad.
    The fuel smell was never an every time I use it thing. it has always been some time you start it you smell fuel and sometimes you didn’t. While most the time I smelt it was when I started it but not all the time. Some times when doing fast twisties you could smell fuel . My spyder spent 62 days in the shop and each time it went in I reported fuel smells.
    I was always the same answer. Could not duplicate the problem, possible canister vapor smell. That was the answer for the DPS steering problem, the fuel canister and every other problem it has had. If you read the forums here and on spyder talk there are a lot of people who have the fuel smell problem. They even have a take the canister off suggestion. If I had took it to the shop every time I could smell fuel it would only have 5000 miles on it and not 25000.
    So please understand this. I did not over fill the tank. At least 10 different times in the last 18 months when I smelt fuel I stopped and took the side panels off. No visual signs of a gas leak and I never saw fuel under it. But keep the suggestions coming in and maybe BRP will find an answer.

The only good news for me now is that my insurance has said it is covered if it is not a warranty thing.

I am not sure what was done when the canister was replaced. When I took this to the dealer and it was replaced it was under the guidance of BRP. I would expect them to do all recalls and fix everything. I will never make that mistake again. if and when it happend again there will be a go over everything do meeting when I pick up the machine.
    Not every gas smell is a fuel line spewing. Actually, a dangerous situation is extremely rare, in this regard. If you've had the fuel smell checked out it is most likely just vapors excaping from your evap canister and not a hazard.

I assume you've had the latest update to recalibrate the purge valve timing.

Still, I highly recommend the Canister-Ectomy. Done properly, this will both solve the fuel smell problem and eliminate any canister related issues forever. Why guess when you can be sure?

BRP or the Dealer cannot do this for you, nor can they even recommend it by law. But it's your Spyder. It's basically a free mod and very effective.

It's nice to not smell fuel and wonder.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Fuel vapors don't rise, they sink, as they are heavier than air. Getting the tube away from the exhaust is the beneficial thing, be it in front of the Spyder, or the rear
    For the vent tube this is true. But not for the vapors most likely involved in this Spyder Fire.

Take a SMALL amount of gasoline and pour it out onto hot pavement and see what happens. You will see the vapor rising.

While it is true that gasoline vapors at AMBIENT tempertures (same as surrounding air mass) will fall. Hot gasoline vapors will rise, just like Hot air is ligher than cool air.

And we are talking about fuel hitting hot engine parts and rising to temperatures of over 400 degrees.

I can guarantee you, at these temperatures, fuel vapor will rise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    For the vent tube this is true. But not for the vapors most likely involved in this Spyder Fire.

Take a SMALL amount of gasoline and pour it out onto hot pavement and see what happens. You will see the vapor rising.

While it is true that gasoline vapors at AMBIENT tempertures (same as surrounding air mass) will fall. Hot gasoline vapors will rise, just like Hot air is ligher than cool air.

And we are talking about fuel hitting hot engine parts and rising to temperatures of over 400 degrees.

I can guarantee you, at these temperatures, fuel vapor will rise.
    Interesting... I was also under the impression that gas fumes went DOWN, not up (hence why garage waterheaters, furnaces, etc. are supposed to be 18" off the floor)....but I can see how the temp would make a difference.

While I understand what you're saying on your 'hot pavement' analogy--- kinda hard for the fumes to go 'down' when there is no 'down' to go to....

I do agree that the gas smell is most likely from the STUPID evap canister---and that they should be YANKED for the best solution and safety.

Spyder Garage

Interesting... I was also under the impression that gas fumes went DOWN, not up (hence why garage waterheaters, furnaces, etc. are supposed to be 18" off the floor)....but I can see how the temp would make a difference.

While I understand what you're saying on your 'hot pavement' analogy--- kinda hard for the fumes to go 'down' when there is no 'down' to go to....

I do agree that the gas smell is most likely from the STUPID evap canister---and that they should be YANKED for the best solution and safety.
    Granted, the vapors don't have anywere DOWN to go on pavement. But you will see them rise and rise quickly from hot pavement.

Pour the same fuel on pavement that is the same temperature as the ambient air and you will (if you look closely) see the vapors crawling away just above the pavement. Dry ice or cold air from your freezer when you open the door is a good example of this. That vapor is easier to see. It falls and runs along the floor.

This is why LPG, gasoline and other heavier than air vapors are so dangerous. In a garage they will run along the floor and find an ignition source like a hot water heater. That is why hot water heaters are now required to be elevated.

It all makes sense when you think it through. One of the most enjoyable things I did in the fire service was to intentionally set things on fire! That is awesome! But you have to know your fuels or you can become more intimately involved in the operation than you intended.

Spyder Garage

One of the most enjoyable things I did in the fire service was to intentionally set things on fire! That is awesome! But you have to know your fuels or you can become more intimately involved in the operation than you intended.
    I think we know someone out here that can personally attest to that last part.......

Spyder Garage

I think we know someone out here that can personally attest to that last part.......
    I wasn't going to mention that. But believe me, there are quite a few that learn this the hard way every year. Our buddy is not alone.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I wasn't going to mention that. But believe me, there are quite a few that learn this the hard way every year. Our buddy is not alone.
    why you 2 have to gang up on another is unknown to me. i removed the rubber collar underneath the handlebars since day one to let heat escape. I wonder if worn out exhaust gaskets are playing a role in any of these fires? Maybe upon startup a quick flame blast lights it up? or upon shutdown the final ignition blasts a flame out? As far as I remember all fires have started upon shutdown or start up.

Glad this spyder guy is ok, it's only a bike, it can be replaced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    why you 2 have to gang up on another is unknown to me. i removed the rubber collar underneath the handlebars since day one to let heat escape. I wonder if worn out exhaust gaskets are playing a role in any of these fires? Maybe upon startup a quick flame blast lights it up? or upon shutdown the final ignition blasts a flame out? As far as I remember all fires have started upon shutdown or start up.

We happen to personally know the guy we are talking about--- and know that he can take some jibing about his gas/leaf experiment. We're all very glad he wasn't hurt badly.

Spyder Garage

The fact that most fires reported seemed to occur upon startup or shutdown is more likely due to the fact that there is less air movement (as in none) through the body vents when the Spyder isn't moving. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

[quote=mvengineer;246374][QUOTE= I've seen Harleys and Hondas burn, for goodness sake. Freak incidents will occur with any vehicle.

Remember Columbia with all of NASA's engineering, exploded and burned due to fuel leak.[/quote]

Fuel leak???

I believe it was damage to the leading edge of the wing caused by ice falling off of the main fuel tank during launch. During re-entry was when the damage caused the catastrophy.

Premeir Edition #59

SoCal

Spyder Garage

Granted, the vapors don't have anywere DOWN to go on pavement. But you will see them rise and rise quickly from hot pavement.

Pour the same fuel on pavement that is the same temperature as the ambient air and you will (if you look closely) see the vapors crawling away just above the pavement. Dry ice or cold air from your freezer when you open the door is a good example of this. That vapor is easier to see. It falls and runs along the floor.

This is why LPG, gasoline and other heavier than air vapors are so dangerous. In a garage they will run along the floor and find an ignition source like a hot water heater. That is why hot water heaters are now required to be elevated.

It all makes sense when you think it through. One of the most enjoyable things I did in the fire service was to intentionally set things on fire! That is awesome! But you have to know your fuels or you can become more intimately involved in the operation than you intended.
    I fully agree!
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

wow those picx made me sick! hope all works out for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Fuel leak???

I believe it was damage to the leading edge of the wing caused by ice falling off of the main fuel tank during launch. During re-entry was when the damage caused the catastrophy.

He must have meant Challenger which exploded on takeoff due to a bad or poor quality o-ring.

From Wikipedia

The Space Shuttle Challenger disaster occurred on January 28, 1986, when Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart 73 seconds into its flight, leading to the deaths of its seven crew members. The spacecraft disintegrated over the Atalantic Ocean, off the coast of central Florida, United States, at 11:39 a.m.
    Disintegration of the entire vehicle began after an o-ring seal in its right solid rocket booster (SRB) failed at liftoff. The O-ring failure caused a breach in the SRB joint it sealed, allowing pressurized hot gas from within the solid rocket motor to reach the outside and impinge upon the adjacent SRB attachment hardware and external fuel tank. This led to the separation of the right-hand SRB's aft attachment and the structural failure of the external tank. Aerodynamic forces promptly broke up the orbiter.
    Last edited by bjt; 09-09-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

why you 2 have to gang up on another is unknown to me.
    The individual they are ganging up on is my husband, and he can take it...LOL I think he now knows more about gas vapors than he ever wanted to.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    The individual they are ganging up on is my husband, and he can take it...LOL I think he now knows more about gas vapors than he ever wanted to.
    As long as he keeps his 'gas vapors' to himself........

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by leoejr View Post
    I am so sick at heart and so dam upset with BRP I could spit nails. My Spyder PE #2683 burst into flames this afternoon. I had went to Costco and filled up with gas. I took the long way home about a 15 mile ride. When I got home I check my email then went back out and started up the Spyder for another short ride, I backed up about 6 or 8 feet then took off to go out my driveway. I didn’t get two feet before black smoke came out from between the yellow tank cover and black side covers. Before I could react I had went 5 more feet there was whoosh & another bigger puff of black smoke and I bailed off the Spyder. It continued on about 10 or 12 more feet and hit the tree alongside my drive way. When I looked over at it there was flame about a foot high in front of the front seat. By the time I got to the garage the flames were 2 feet high and covered most of the tank cover and part of the front seat. I cannot believe how fast it burnt. By the time the fire department got here there was not much left. ‘
    I wonder what happened to the other people who’s Spyders burnt up. I looked but never did see anything more about what happened to their Spyders. There will not be any fixing this one that’s for sure. It sizzled when the fire department hit it with the hoses. Sick sick sick.

Thank you all for your wishes and I will keep you informed. I have had fuel smell since I bought the Spyder new 18 months ago. I have had all service done at BRP dealerships. Over flow canister was replaced months ago but the smell has been off and on.
    Not really sure what happened. Been playing it over and over in my mind but can't really even guess what happed. I do believe what ever happened started on the right side but couldn't even say that for sure. Just happens so dam fast..But again thanks. I will be calling BRP in the morning and Allstate claims department.
    Man, that sucks! Glad to see you didn't fry with it. However... I'd let my insurance company handle the claim and I would immediatly go to the NHTSA website and file a report as this is a safety issue. If there's a pattern here, NHTSA is there to make sure there's a remedy.

Spyder Garage

Glad you were able to get away from your ride before you became engulfed! This community should consider our fellow Spyder riders who are more physically challenged who may not be so lucky if it happens to one of them. Let's pray this never happens to anyone ever again!

I foresee this being a RED HOT TOPIC at the BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    ...Dude, I don't even know what to say. This completely sucks. The insurance will help you replace your loss of course. I can only hope that BRP will step up and do their part here and take a deeper look into this....
    IF BRP doesn't start becoming aggressive into finding an answer as to "WHY" their product catches fire, and correcting it, the insurance companies will take action upon us!

It will not be long before the insurance industry says, "Sorry, but we no longer insure Spyders and are no longer renewing your Spyder policy".

History has shown this has happened to any vehicle that is deemed a "hazard". Remember the rear-impact-exploding Pinto of the 70's? Or the little 4-wheeling-rollover Suzuki (whose name escapes me) of the 90's. Wasn't long after the insurance people said no, or raised your rates thru the roof, that the government stepped in (or was it the insurance companies that got the government to step in? hmmmmm "chicken>egg or egg>chicken?").

Time for BRP to show the world they are a truly responsible world leading company who is interested in producing a publicly safe vehicle by fixing this before it results in a tombstone. Or worse for them, dealers sitting with unsold product on their showroom floors because the world-wide paying public will not buy an uninsurable vehicle.

REMEMBER:
    BRP IS AWARE OF THIS AND HAS BEEN LUCKY THAT NO FIRE HAS RESULTED IN THE LOSS OF LIFE - SO FAR.
    Last edited by SpyderFun; 09-10-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mvengineer View Post
    I've seen Harleys and Hondas burn, for goodness sake. Freak incidents will occur with any vehicle.

Remember Columbia with all of NASA's engineering, exploded and burned due to fuel leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Fuel leak???

Actually you both are right. There were 2 separate shuttle incidents on 2 different missions. One was the frozen O-ring seals on the SRB and the other was a chunk of "foam" falling off during launch that caused damage to the leading edge of the shuttle's wing (this caused problems due to overheating - or the burning of the wing during reentry). BOTH incidents were attributed to local freezing conditions being a factor.

Sound familiar now?

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Pictures of PE#2683

When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer