Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default R.I.P. Spyder 2683 up in flames

I am so sick at heart and so dam upset with BRP I could spit nails. My Spyder PE #2683 burst into flames this afternoon. I had went to Costco and filled up with gas. I took the long way home about a 15 mile ride. When I got home I check my email then went back out and started up the Spyder for another short ride, I backed up about 6 or 8 feet then took off to go out my driveway. I didn’t get two feet before black smoke came out from between the yellow tank cover and black side covers. Before I could react I had went 5 more feet there was whoosh & another bigger puff of black smoke and I bailed off the Spyder. It continued on about 10 or 12 more feet and hit the tree alongside my drive way. When I looked over at it there was flame about a foot high in front of the front seat. By the time I got to the garage the flames were 2 feet high and covered most of the tank cover and part of the front seat. I cannot believe how fast it burnt. By the time the fire department got here there was not much left. ‘
    I wonder what happened to the other people who’s Spyders burnt up. I looked but never did see anything more about what happened to their Spyders. There will not be any fixing this one that’s for sure. It sizzled when the fire department hit it with the hoses. Sick sick sick.

Thank you all for your wishes and I will keep you informed. I have had fuel smell since I bought the Spyder new 18 months ago. I have had all service done at BRP dealerships. Over flow canister was replaced months ago but the smell has been off and on.
    Not really sure what happened. Been playing it over and over in my mind but can't really even guess what happed. I do believe what ever happened started on the right side but couldn't even say that for sure. Just happens so dam fast..But again thanks. I will be calling BRP in the morning and Allstate claims department.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lone Spyder Ryder; 09-08-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer

Spyder Garage

Dude!!!! are you OK?

That truley sucks.

Spyder Garage

Wow! I know you are heart sick over this, but as long as you are okay. The spyder can be replaced. Take care and keep us updated.
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

Dude, I don't even know what to say. This completely sucks. The insurance will help you replace your loss of course. I can only hope that BRP will step up and do their part here and take a deeper look into this. I am not sure what their obligation is in terms of helping replace this machine. What were the environmentals at the time of the fire? was it really hot? Were there any gas smells or anything like that before it happened?

I'm just trying to make sense of this thing. There was a post about a fire just yesterday. Now this. There is a history here. I don't really believe too much in coincidences. Something has to be going on here. But perhaps you'll end up with an even better, brand new machine. I'm just glad you are OK.
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-08-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Dude that SUCKS!!!! I am so sorry to hear this!

Glad to hear you're okay.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Glad that you are alright. Hope settlement phase works out alright and that insurance is sufficient. Keep us posted on what happens. I know that all members share your feelings.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

My heart sank when I clicked your link. You went through a lot with this bike. Very disturbing seeing those pictures.

Are you ok? Do you need any thing or any help?
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok hope you find out what went wrong to warn others.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know you said the canister was replaced but was the vent line rerouted?? It's important to know because we have seen fires on Spyders with out the relocated vent line that comes off the canister. This will help determine the problem as my theory is the fumes are combusting from the vent line. Sorry about your loss but I'm sure your insurnace will make it right. BRP!!!, step up to the plate and at least admit there is a problem before someone gets hurt!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

glad you are o.k........this is definitely a thread to watch....hope that BRP is taking notice...fire hazards can crush sales and help bad reputations get worse

Spyder Garage

Very sorry to hear about this and really hope you are ok.

Spyder Garage

We can only hope that everyone that has experienced a fire on their Spyder has made a report to the NHTSA.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but happy that you escaped, with your shirt tails!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

That damn evap can again .... never fill that sucker to the brim. That POS evap system really needs to be redesigned.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know you said you had the canister replaced, but did you also have the new vent hose installed? I used to smell gas on hot days before I had mine done, but after the new vent was put on I haven't smelled gas since.
    Happy 2009 Roadster Red SM5 Owner
    Two Brothers Dual Exhaust w/P1X Tips | Two Brothers Juice Box | KewlMetal Intake | Amber Fender Tip Lights | Fog Lights | SilverStar Headlights | Trunk Liner | 12v Acc. Plug | BRP Comfort Seat

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Very sorry to hear about and view the demise of your Spyder. Glad to hear that you had the chance to bail off of it before you were injured. It can be replaced!
    In the past posts I thought I had read about some hose clamps loosening and allowing some fuel seepage which would allow for volatile fumes to accumulate and provide an ignition source. I don't remember which side of the engine the posts were about, but it was just a thought.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I don't remember which side of the engine the posts were about, but it was just a thought.
    Right side...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Sad news! I am glad you are OK, though, and that it happened outside so the house didn't burn down. I hope you get a quick and fair settlement, so you can move on. I also hope the future holds another Spyder, despite this scary incident.

Best wishes from Nancy and me.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
    Dude that SUCKS!!!! I am so sorry to hear this!

Glad to hear you're okay.
    +1
    brp backrest & rack system,kuryakyn passenger "floorboards",hindle performance exhaust,"permanent"battery tender jr."hookup",cupholder,ram mounting system for gps,brp 1"riser block,nmn 3" risers,calsi xl windshield,nmn day runner lights,brp trunk liner,cardio 4 communication system

Spyder Garage

I've read a few of your post on the other board and it sounds like this could be a blessing seeing you weren't too happy with your Spyder to start with. I'm glad you got off before being burned and there was no other property damage.

If you had all the updates and they were performed to spec I'm guessing it might have been a loose fuel line seeing you said in another post about your trip that you were smelling fuel pretty much all the time now. That's just a guess but there have been a few cases where the hose to the fuel filter had come loose but was caught before anything happened.

I'm sure one way or the other you will be taken care of and I hope if you do get a new Spyder it will serve you better than this one did.

Spyder Garage

Default Report the Fire problem

Back when the DPS problem was the top subject, Lamont encouraged everyone to report the problem to BRP and to the NHSTA. A lot of us took that advice to heart and we now see the results.

However, when I checked the recall site for complaints I only found two pertainning to fires.

Every instance of a fire regarding the Spyder needs to be reported. Go to: www.recalls.gov/nhtsa.html

ALSO .. make certain spelling is correct. The Spyder is listed as:
    Can-Am, Cam-Am, RS Spyder, Spyder Roadster, etc. Perhaps we could be consistent and refer to it as "Roadster"??!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I've read a few of your post on the other board and it sounds like this could be a blessing seeing you weren't too happy with your Spyder to start with. I'm glad you got off before being burned and there was no other property damage.

If you had all the updates and they were performed to spec I'm guessing it might have been a loose fuel line seeing you said in another post about your trip that you were smelling fuel pretty much all the time now. That's just a guess but there have been a few cases where the hose to the fuel filter had come loose but was caught before anything happened.

I'm sure one way or the other you will be taken care of and I hope if you do get a new Spyder it will serve you better than this one did.
    Has to be a bad, loose or otherwise faulty fuel line. If you're smelling fuel it's a good idea to figure out why, no matter what you're riding. Letting it go can be traumatic.

Sorry about the fire though. Not sure why BRP would say they never heard of this before. Was that a BRP rep or the dealership?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Very sad new indeed. Sorry to hear and then to see the pictures. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about this when I get my new RT...

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you are okay. Sorry to hear about your Spyder. I hope things work out for you and that you are back on the road soon.

David
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    Very sad new indeed. Sorry to hear and then to see the pictures. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about this when I get my new RT...

Willy
    I have yet to hear of a RT fire and I think in a little over two years I've heard of about 7 RS fires.

Spyder Garage

Those pictures are something. I hope there is some way it can be figured out what happened. Though, there doesn't look to be a lot left of the Spyder to examine.

Sure glad you bailed in time not to get burnt yourself. Hope this resolves to your satisfaction.
    Marilyn