Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tools Needed To Replace Battery

I posted a while ago that I have had my Spyder in storage since late May, 2009. I will be flying over to pick it up two weeks from now and driving it back home which will be a 2 day trip. Since I didn't use a battery tender (I don't like the stock battery anyway) I'll need to replace the battery.

What are the exact tools that I'll need to access the battery and replace it? Keep in mind that I'll be flying there so I'll have to pack light. And being that the Spyder doesn't offer that much space either I have to think about bringing those tools back with me. And if anyone can provide some directions (shop manual, personal experience) that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so excited to go riding again. Since it's been so long I got trip interruption insurance too. I can't any chances. I just hope the weather is decent (I know it won't be hot, that's for sure) but I got some serious rain/warmth gear that worked flawlessly the last time I went riding on my Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Does your spyder have sidebags or racks on it?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

If your Spyder is stock, all the tools you should need will be in the toolkit that came with the Spyder.

Something like this wouldn't hurt either.

David
    David
    McKinney, TX

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My Spyder is stock, no racks, cases, etc. Just the Sport Rack and Back Rest is all I can think of that might complicate things.

As far as the tool kit that came with the Spyder...this may sound stupid; But where is that located on/in the Spyder? I had the factory trunk liner put in before taking delivery and I never peeled it back to check what was behind it. I was told the manual is in there somewhere.

Keep in mind I drove it once and that was last year at the end of May. I took it on a 1300 mile trip and stored it when I was finished and haven't touched it since. So with the possibility of the tool kit not being there, what tools will I need and does anyone have directions on how to access the battery?

Spyder Garage

You'll need a #30 Torx bit/driver to remove the plastic panels and a 10mm socket or box end to remove the battery terminal screws.

You may also need a very small screwdriver or knife to remove the button-head plastic rivets on some of the plastic panels.

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I posted a while ago that I have had my Spyder in storage since late May, 2009. I will be flying over to pick it up two weeks from now and driving it back home which will be a 2 day trip. Since I didn't use a battery tender (I don't like the stock battery anyway) I'll need to replace the battery.

What are the exact tools that I'll need to access the battery and replace it? Keep in mind that I'll be flying there so I'll have to pack light. And being that the Spyder doesn't offer that much space either I have to think about bringing those tools back with me. And if anyone can provide some directions (shop manual, personal experience) that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so excited to go riding again. Since it's been so long I got trip interruption insurance too. I can't any chances. I just hope the weather is decent (I know it won't be hot, that's for sure) but I got some serious rain/warmth gear that worked flawlessly the last time I went riding on my Spyder.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    You'll need a #30 Torx bit/driver to remove the plastic panels and a 10mm socket or box end to remove the battery terminal screws.

You may also need a very small screwdriver or knife to remove the button-head plastic rivets on some of the plastic panels.

Awesome. That makes me happy that I don't need to get more than 3 tools. Guess I'll have to check in one piece of luggage just in case TSA takes it away at the security gate.

But would you or anyone happen to have a diagram drawing from the shop manual that show's what pieces I need to remove in order to access the battery?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    Awesome. That makes me happy that I don't need to get more than 3 tools. Guess I'll have to check in one piece of luggage just in case TSA takes it away at the security gate.

But would you or anyone happen to have a diagram drawing from the shop manual that show's what pieces I need to remove in order to access the battery?
    Sorry but don't have my shop manual... or my Spyder anymore. But, from memory, here goes:

1. Raise your seat and remove the two push/pin rivet thingies on the long black left panel.

2. Remove the two forward Torx head screws from the same left-side long, black panel. A forward panel uses those same two screws... no need to remove that panel.

3. Remove the three Torx screws from the upper splash pan panel on the left side. And, remove the middle one, too, under the rear upper center panel. Lower the splash pan so that you can:

4. Trace the two electrical connections for the left turn signal... should be within six inches of the turn signal stem. Disconnect and remove the panel in 1 and 2 above with the turn signal stem in place.

5. Walaaaaaa... the battery!
    Last edited by ataDude; 09-06-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

+1 tool kit check your frunk.
    Catching a Yellow Jacket in your helmet at 65 mph can double your vocabulary

Spyder Garage

Good memory ataDude.

When they installed the trunk liner, if they did not move anything your tool kit will be held to the right side wall of the trunk when looking at it from the front of the Spyder. It is a little black rolled up plastic bag, and as stated it has all the tools you need to get the job done.

Best of luck, and have a great time ryding it back home.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

I just looked at the manual and it really does not add much as far a battery removal. It just says remove the LH upper side panel and the LH rear panel.
    What it does say that is important:
    The battery is mounted on it's side so you must use a sealed battery.
    Battery info:
    Battery Type: VRLA Sealed non spillable
    Model: Yusa YTX24HL-BS
    21 A/H
    -Samurai Mechanic-

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    I just looked at the manual and it really does not add much as far a battery removal. It just says remove the LH upper side panel and the LH rear panel.
    What it does say that is important:
    The battery is mounted on it's side so you must use a sealed battery.
    Battery info:
    Battery Type: VRLA Sealed non spillable
    Model: Yusa YTX24HL-BS
    21 A/H
    Oh yeah, very good point about the battery being on its side.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Many thanks everyone!

I'll literally print this thread out and bring it with me. I'm pretty sure the tool kit is there as I never moved it. And I'll be getting the Odyssey OC690-P battery so that should take care of several known battery related problems when it comes to our Spyders.

Again, thanks for the input fellas.