Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question RTS SE5 1 hour old and cannot find Neutral

WE just got our RTS SE5 ZOrbital Blue and laoded with extras plus better muffler etc. The bike was delivered to us this evening. We drove it around the block and to some friends around the corner, when we stopped on their drive way and in first gear of course, we could not shift the bike into Neutral at all. Then tried it moving forward a litle and still nothing and then put the bike in reverse then tried to slide it into Neutral and it worked. We got home and drove up our driveway in our dream machine and again could not go from 1rst gear into Neutral but again when we placed it in reverse then we could get Neutral. What in the world. I sold my Harley Show biek for this loade mahcine. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 09 se5 trying put your foot on the brake and start it, should go to neutral

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
    WE just got our RTS SE5 ZOrbital Blue and laoded with extras plus better muffler etc. The bike was delivered to us this evening. We drove it around the block and to some friends around the corner, when we stopped on their drive way and in first gear of course, we could not shift the bike into Neutral at all. Then tried it moving forward a litle and still nothing and then put the bike in reverse then tried to slide it into Neutral and it worked. We got home and drove up our driveway in our dream machine and again could not go from 1rst gear into Neutral but again when we placed it in reverse then we could get Neutral. What in the world. I sold my Harley Show biek for this loade mahcine. Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks
    We have a 2008 SE5. May I suggest reading the owner's manual about the SE5 transmission. I think you are just needing to familiarize yourself with this new transmission. I know I did.
    Also, the transmission will not shift gears unless the Spyder is running. If you are stopped in gear and turn the engine off, you cannot get to neutral without pressing the brake pedal while starting the engine. You cannot start the engine unless the Spyder is in neutral. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dudley; 09-03-2010 at 01:08 AM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

I have to be completely stopped, and then hit the lever twice to get to neutral. Never have to worry about shifting to neutral at a stop by downshifting too many times. Hope this helps.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

why do you need the neutral ???- it should standstill on the first gear WITHOUT trying to move foward - thats the fantastic thing in the SE .. think you have no problem - only if you swith her OFF it finds the neutral for the next start - always have your foot on the brake ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tried what you guys recommended but ...

i appreciate the input, We tried what you said and we were stepping n the brake when we stopped on our driveway while the enine was running and in first gear and while stepping on the brake tried to press the up shifter from first gear into neutral and it just would not go nto neutral. So we tried it again putting into reverse and then flicking the down shift again and it dropped into netral that way. Very odd, We were told it had to be in neitral in order to turn the bike off.

Other things that are happening on this brand spanking new bike is it was hard to start- just kept turning over and gave it some hrottle and it started roughly and smoothed out (didn't think we had to do that if this bike is fuel injected). Stalled on us twice pulling into the drive way. This all so odd for brand new. They did replace the clutch on this bike as it was one of those that was acting like the ones thye recalled but the serial nmbers didnt match the ones needed but it acted the same way, so the dealer replaced it with a new one before delivering the bike to us. So???
    Last edited by Eagle Eye; 09-03-2010 at 07:41 AM.

RT-S PE#0793
    Spyder Garage

Just to be sure, you are pressing the "down" shifter from first gear to get to neutral. My dealer told me at delivery that neutral was between first and second. If this is true, mine has a very funny way af showing it. I hit the down shift twice from first to get mine in neutral.
    Steve

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default Neutral?

When I got my SE I also had trouble shifting it. After operating it for a time, I have learned to tap the the paddle shift with the tip of my finger rather than use the whole finger. On my machine the paddle shifter likes to be tapped rather than pushed.
    Just my opinion, because it works for me!

Spyder Garage

for starting the key is to NOT touch the throttle.

just stick out your pointer finger and push the starter button without touching the throttle at all

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

i appreciate the input, We tried what you said and we were stepping n the brake when we stopped on our driveway while the enine was running and in first gear and while stepping on the brake tried to press the up shifter from first gear into neutral and it just would not go nto neutral. So we tried it again putting into reverse and then flicking the down shift again and it dropped into netral that way. Very odd, We were told it had to be in neitral in order to turn the bike off.

Other things that are happening on this brand spanking new bike is it was hard to start- just kept turning over and gave it some hrottle and it started roughly and smoothed out (didn't think we had to do that if this bike is fuel injected). Stalled on us twice pulling into the drive way. This all so odd for brand new. They did replace the clutch on this bike as it was one of those that was acting like the ones thye recalled but the serial nmbers didnt match the ones needed but it acted the same way, so the dealer replaced it with a new one before delivering the bike to us. So???
    Think of the gears this way, R, N, 1,2,3,4,5 with Reverese being at the bottom and 5th at the top, when in 1st you must go down to neutral and when in reverse you must go up to neutral.
    I think they all start hard when warm, minor vapor lock. Just my $.02

Spyder Garage

I am gonna get flamed for this, but here goes.

I have over 40K miles on my SE5. I have never had any problems with shifting. I READ the owner's manual from front to back. The section on the transmission has the answer to a lot of what you are doing and are asking us to help you. Do yourself a favor and read the manual before you ask us to take the time to tell you what you haven't done for yourself.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Spyder Garage

RE: shifting--the shifting tips are all correct here. The RTS is different from other motorcycles--suggest reading the manual two or three times--during TV commercials or something like that. I ran into many things that I did'nt know up front which later proved to be helpful. As you can see, you can get quick answers here. The old saying, "practice makes perfect" will work on getting the RTS figured out.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rineer4635 View Post
    Think of the gears this way, R, N, 1,2,3,4,5 with Reverese being at the bottom and 5th at the top, when in 1st you must go down to neutral and when in reverse you must go up to neutral.
    I think they all start hard when warm, minor vapor lock. Just my $.02
    Thats the way to do it .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks everyone it worked...2 clciks of the paddle and its there...

Thanks everyone it worked...2 clicks of the paddle and its there... Dealer kept telling us to hold it down and release it and should go into neutral. Not the case...just click it twice one right afer the other (whiel stepping on brake) like clicking a mouse twice on your computer. Smooth operation all the way.

Also start fine now as I foudn our these electronic fuel injected engines, as odd as i is need the htrottle pumped twice at least in order to start. Odd! since they are fuel injected...dont think these injectors preload fuel once you turn the key on or hit the start button. Thats why the fuel pump on the throttle two times. No stalling either..guess maybe this was part of the breakin on this new RTS. Thanks my friends- Larry and Tamara

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also have an SE RTS. If you turn off the roadster while in first gear you have to step on the brake pedal while starting. The SE will automatically drop it into neutral before starting. What i can recommend is always use the same procedure to shut down the roadster and the same to start it up, like that it becomes a good habit. Shutting down I always select Neutral, apply parking park, shut off the engine with the red kill switch and then turn off the ignition. Starting up would be ignition ON, select mode switch, unselect red kill switch, engage starter.

Hope This helps

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I also have an SE RTS. If you turn off the roadster while in first gear you have to step on the brake pedal while starting. The SE will automatically drop it into neutral before starting. What i can recommend is always use the same procedure to shut down the roadster and the same to start it up, like that it becomes a good habit. Shutting down I always select Neutral, apply parking park, shut off the engine with the red kill switch and then turn off the ignition. Starting up would be ignition ON, select mode switch, unselect red kill switch, engage starter.

Hope This helps
    My SE5 would get confused as well if not shut down in nuetral. If you develop good shutdown and startup habbits you shouldn't have any problems moving forward. and BTW, welcome Glad to have you aboard!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

BillGargan

I have a 2009 SE5 with over 13,000 miles and I have never had to touch the throttle when starting.

Also start fine now as I foudn our these electronic fuel injected engines, as odd as i is need the htrottle pumped twice at least in order to start. Odd! since they are fuel injected...dont think these injectors preload fuel once you turn the key on or hit the start button. Thats why the fuel pump on the throttle two times. No stalling either..guess maybe this was part of the breakin on this new RTS. Thanks my friends- Larry and Tamara

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have a 2010 RS-S with a few extras on it. Add the tax and out the door - 20k +! All of the stuff the original poster writes about I have also experienced. The neutral issue happened to me (for the first time) yesterday! Believe me I love this bike, but I feel his pain They don't have the answers to these problems in the owners manual - on a number of these issues they just don't have the answers period! The best you can do is keep your chin up, your blood pressure down and persevere.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have an RT SE5 with over 11000 miles and I READ THE BOOK and every thing works great!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder77 View Post
    I have an RT SE5 with over 11000 miles and I READ THE BOOK and every thing works great!!!
    Many times READING the Owner's Manual solves a lot of "problems" created by the rider, not the Spyder.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not all of the bikes have these issues and it is true that many things can be solved for a newer owner by taking the time to read the manual. I am of course very happy for those who have enjoyed trouble free riding or have quickly found the answers to questions/problems by referring to the manual or a dealer. Thus far this unfortunately has not been the case for me and it appears from what I read that I'm not alone. This of course is the case for all things with motors and wheels.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

did you just make a mistake saying that you were hitting upshifter from 1gear in order to get Neutral or you realy did it? you should hit downshifter buddy