Thread: Ground issues?

Spyder Garage

Default Ground issues?

I have been getting an engine light as of late and the dealer said they believe it may be related to too many accessories (though I only have 3) grounded on the battery terminal.

Does anyone know of an additional place on the Spyder that would provide a suitable ground...somewhat near the battery so that I don't have to extend the wires? Maybe an area of the frame that could be sanded and use sheet metal screws similar to what is done when installing car audio?

Thanks in advance.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Spyder Garage

The bolts that hold the gas tank on work well for a ground.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CRUCIFIED View Post
    I have been getting an engine light as of late and the dealer said they believe it may be related to too many accessories (though I only have 3) grounded on the battery terminal.

Does anyone know of an additional place on the Spyder that would provide a suitable ground...somewhat near the battery so that I don't have to extend the wires? Maybe an area of the frame that could be sanded and use sheet metal screws similar to what is done when installing car audio?

Thanks in advance.
    I've been getting the engine light intermittently along with 'check engine' on the display. The tech said that the oil pressure sensor/switch needs to be replaced. They have one on order.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I've been getting the engine light intermittently along with 'check engine' on the display. The tech said that the oil pressure sensor/switch needs to be replaced. They have one on order.
    They originally told me it was a clutch switch sensor on my SM5. They replaced it and it still has the same issue.
    Last edited by CRUCIFIED; 09-01-2010 at 09:32 PM.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Fairly common cause of that problem.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CRUCIFIED View Post
    They originally told me it was a clutch sensor on my SM5.
    Clutch sensor?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Clutch sensor?
    +1

Spyder Garage

There are a variety of things that can cause the "Check Engine" warning. Most of them are sensors, like the oil pressure switch or O2 sensor. The system looks for certain signals, and if it doesn't see what it expects, it faults. BUDS can tell your dealer what triggered it (most of the time). Sometimes inter-related systems will give an indication that it is one thing (like that clutch switch) when it really is something else that relies on that part for its function. Poor electrical connections, like a noisy ground from too many connectors stacked up, can cause electrical noise and surges, or bad sensor outputs, which can trigger fault codes. A "Check Engine" light once in a blue moon is not a problem...if it clears. Repeated or continuous warnings should be checked by a dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh O.K., clutch switch(sensor).
    Hey Scotty,
    On a little different note, how about posting picts of your collection, like the other fellow did? (or did you do that already)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GA-SPYDER View Post
    Oh O.K., clutch switch(sensor).
    Hey Scotty,
    On a little different note, how about posting picts of your collection, like the other fellow did? (or did you do that already)
    There are a number of them in my picture album.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!