Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas mileage a warranty issue?

I have a less than 1000 miles on my Spyder RT -SM5 and have gotten pretty poor mileage - on the 5 fillups that I have had in which I could check the mileage, I have averaged a little over 27 mpg with mixed highway and town riding (probably about 50/50). I don't ride particularly aggressively in town or on the highway.
    Is this a warranty issue? At what low mileage does it become a warranty issue?
    So far, I have only used premium gasoline, although I was told at the dealership that I could use regular unleaded and the manual says that in the continental US gasoline with octane of 87 is acceptable.
    I am planning to try a tank of regular on my next fillup.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Just as an FYI... We never have "Officially" tracked our gas mileage. But we pretty much drive the same routes all week.

At about 2000 miles. We noticed a significant enough of an increase in mileage that we spoke on it. Keep in mind we live in a traffic congested area with lots of hills and corners. So it is VERY easy to notice.

But we now go 5 days on one fill up vs four days we had regularly been accustomed to.

We do consider ourselves avg riders BTW and only use Premium Unleaded as we had been told to at purchase. We normally get the middle grade on all our other transportation items.

Others have noticed an increase as well.

But I believe from my readings of the world wide web. One thing is clear. Driving habit, Weather conditions, and Road type wreak havoc on us knowing what we should or should not get for Gas Mileage on these bikes.

that said.. 27-32 Miles per Gallon seems to be where most of us fall

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IWN2RYD View Post
    Just as an FYI... We never have "Officially" tracked our gas mileage. But we pretty much drive the same routes all week.

At about 2000 miles. We noticed a significant enough of an increase in mileage that we spoke on it. Keep in mind we live in a traffic congested area with lots of hills and corners. So it is VERY easy to notice.

But we now go 5 days on one fill up vs four days we had regularly been accustomed to.

We do consider ourselves avg riders BTW and only use Premium Unleaded as we had been told to at purchase. We normally get the middle grade on all our other transportation items.

Others have noticed an increase as well.

But I believe from my readings of the world wide web. One thing is clear. Driving habit, Weather conditions, and Road type wreak havoc on us knowing what we should or should not get for Gas Mileage on these bikes.

that said.. 27-32 Miles per Gallon seems to be where most of us fall

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

This is typical mileage for a Spyder. Some are better, some are worse. Just for a point of reference, when I reported poor gas mileage on Nancy's RS a couple of years back, they said the norm was 18-42 mpg, and within that range it was not a warranty issue. I'm not sure if that is still their policy.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default gas

I have had the now three months and have been averaging 31 mpg, riding at 65 to75 mph in central texas. I am very pleased with this type of milage it is mix of hy and city. Never knew their was a warnety for gas milage on any machine shame on me lol. Very happy owner.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    This is typical mileage for a Spyder. Some are better, some are worse. Just for a point of reference, when I reported poor gas mileage on Nancy's RS a couple of years back, they said the norm was 18-42 mpg, and within that range it was not a warranty issue. I'm not sure if that is still their policy.

Why wouldn't it still be their policy as they have introduced a trike getting less milage than their previous one with apparently no second thoughts? I shake to think what they will introduce next, maybe a 1200 pounder that gets single digit MPG?

I find it extremely hard to figure why an 1100 race car with an all out attitude and topping 143 MPH down the straightaway with the same engine gets 35 MPG and they take one less wheel and less weight and go slower and can only manage 27? Does not the Aprila with the same engine get much better MPG and is capable of much higher speeds and handling?

I have only run an occaisional tank of premium through two different models of Spyders and with a modern computer driven engine managment system regular should be all you need and the best I have ever seen at just highway only driving on the flats of the midwest was 31.7 MPG. By the way premium runs great but sees nothing in the improvement area for MPG there fore making it a waste of hard earned money.

BuRP you need to stop sub-contracting and get a grip on the quality, reliability, build a decent trained dealer network, really make some changes that make a difference in the models you now have, and start really listening to consumer complaints before the Spyders all go down the tubes because of your current attitudes and reactions. It's either do that or maybe start making Corvairs or Edsels as new models. Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by texasride View Post
    I have had the now three months and have been averaging 31 mpg, riding at 65 to75 mph in central texas. I am very pleased with this type of milage it is mix of hy and city. Never knew their was a warnety for gas milage on any machine shame on me lol. Very happy owner.
    We have had our RT since March and after about 3800 mi. now getting right at 33mpg cruising 2 up. When I take it in for service about 70 mi. to georgetown, I ryde it like I stole it (1 up) and the mpg does drop to around 30. But, I didn't buy it for the gas mileage and I would guess that nobody else did either! I would guess that most bought it for it's uniqueness, style, safety features, and stability. Would anyone buy an ac cobra or corvette and then be really concerned about mpg? I have ridden sus, honda, and bmw in the past, but this critter rocks! and I don't care what the mpg is unless it gets to single digits. I look for spm... or smiles per mile and I have gotten more on this ryde than any other I have rydden, both me and passengers, and not to mention all the onlookers! smile and be happy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mileage - Smileage!! With 8200+ miles I get about 32 mpg but I get about 400 smpg.

Spyder Garage

I am in the process of waiting for the 11 model. My only problem with the mpg is that I ride with a group who easily go over 200 miles between gas stops. Is there some sort of aux gas tank that can be used with the RT? Or should I just tell them to get used to the extra stops. I current own a Victory Vision and it gets 45mpg with a 1731cc engine. It weighs less than the RT only by a few hundred pounds I think??? About 900 with gas and oil compared to the RT (which is if someone would enlighten me)... The smiles are great, but for touring I am interested in smiling miles... Just a thought

Willy

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    ...I find it extremely hard to figure why an 1100 race car with an all out attitude and topping 143 MPH down the straightaway with the same engine gets 35 MPG and they take one less wheel and less weight and go slower and can only manage 27? Does not the Aprila with the same engine get much better MPG and is capable of much higher speeds and handling? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by billythekidd View Post
    ...I current own a Victory Vision and it gets 45mpg with a 1731cc engine. It weighs less than the RT only by a few hundred pounds I think??? About 900 with gas and oil compared to the RT (which is if someone would enlighten me)...
    Weight is a minor factor in fuel mileage. Rolling resistance is also a factor, but also not the biggest one. Weight may be better on a Spyder, but three tracks offer more rolling resistance. probably a toss-up as to the overall effects of these combined.

Drag is the real culprit here. The Spyder and especially the RT, has the aerodynamics of a tumbling brick! It is like trying to push a barn door through the air. It has exposed A-frames and relatively exposed radiators, introducing heavy turbulence and lots of exposed surface area. It is also so upright and so short that the air turns sharply and never straightens out in passing, inlike the sloping, long closed profile of a car. It will never cut through the air like a car, or have the smaller profile of a motorcycle. To make things worse, the effects of drag are applied exponentially, so at twice the speed you have up to four times the drag. Combine these factors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With Scotty's asessment. Drag is the big killer here. Futher, there is not much one can do to change the way air flows around the Spyder short of a complete redesign of the front area. The RT in particular is very aero inefficient. You essentially have to lengthen the whole platform and begin the streamlining process. This would then significantly change the CG, and well, you have opened a huge can of worms!

The design is what it is. I think us guys in the RS community stand a better chance of "tweaking' the aero configuration, but even then there is not much that can be done. I have some ideas, and if I can ever get my hands on some spare parts I will begin the experimentation process.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And as I write this, I am watching F1 qualifying at Spa. Talk about Aero shaping! These guys are the masters!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default mileage

ge so much for mileage if i wanter great mileage i would hve bought a smart car, it the ride the looks and fun of being on the open road, and not the mileage, traded in a goldwing now their is gas hog if their ever was one lover for ever.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default gas

I would try finding a station that does not have 10% ethanol my bike gets around 40 when using ethanol free gas just a thought

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I would try finding a station that does not have 10% ethanol my bike gets around 40 when using ethanol free gas just a thought

Don't get me started on this ethanol thing. I personally think that mixing ethanol with "plain ole gas" has been one of the worst mistakes our govt. has made. It certainly does, as you suggested, decrease gas mileage. I just wish there was a place around here that we had a choice to get "plain ole gas". We don't.

Chris PE# OOO4 (until I got my corbin seat)

Registered Users
    God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

At first we were first disappointed with the mpg's on the spyders, we have 3, all run regular gas with up to 10% methanol. All get better than 32 even the SE5 that "she who must be obeyed" rides. And the SE5 gets ridden pretty hard. She has a heavy throttle hand.

I said we were disappointed because the 08 GL1800 6 cyl gets 40 and change at 75. It has twice the cc's 28 more HP and 100 lbs more weight to carry and still gets 40 plus. I was told the spyders have the big frontal area. I was told that because I was running a barn door size windshield that was the reason for the lower mpgs. I also run a barn door sized windshield on the wing. I suppose the wing has a much more efficient engine and a little more streamlining even with the big windshield.

I had planned to stop running up and down the road and working on houses for a while and install a 1500 6 in one of our spyders. But that hasn't been possible as of this date. If I can ever get to that project we'll see if that 6 honda power train will still get 40 in a spyder frame. If the good Lord's willing and the creeks don't rise maybe I'll get to it someday. Ken krb1945

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Don't get me started on this ethanol thing. I personally think that mixing ethanol with "plain ole gas" has been one of the worst mistakes our govt. has made. It certainly does, as you suggested, decrease gas mileage. I just wish there was a place around here that we had a choice to get "plain ole gas". We don't.

Amen, brother, amen!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ethanol has no benefits that I can percieve other than driving the cost of corn on the cob up over twice the previous costs were and making some farmers happy. Out west I hit areas that they had so much in the regular fuel the pipes turned white and I ran hot all the time because the computer couldn't make the necessary allowances for it. I switched to a tank or two of high test and it solved the problem. A Harley dealer suggested that and it worked just fine, seems they had a couple of newer units that had problems with the local gas. That was in Cheyanne if I remember right.

If I drove the racecar like I drive the RT I would have thought I would have gotten around 40 MPG in it. 5 speeds and similar weight driven flat out with only the technologies that were available at least ten years ago too.

I actually got 32.7 MPG over the weekend on a trip that was not all high speed but 60% of which was 40 or so MPH through twisty mountain roads. I would say the average through that area was around 40 MPH so RPM's and drag a do have a great effect. I also hit the trike with a couple of gallons of High Test and that could have helped a bit too. With modern computer controlled fuel management systems regular gas should not be a problem and should be giving equal MPG under all conditions and extremes if they are made right.

I am sure that most Harley riders don't buy their rides for MPG either and they get around 40 or so from what most tell me. When these things first hit the market the promotions were saying wild figures like 45 to 55 MPG as another benefit of them and they sure didn't ever see anything close to that.

Yeah Scotty you are right speed multiplies drag and at 140 MPH I would say the drag is much greater than the RT at 70 MPH regardless of how many wheels or what shape I am driving. That was my point there in that I still got better mileage at twice the speed and with less technology available at that time. We were still using chip technology and dyno runs to guess what the Rotax engine would like back then. Because it was all that was available but it worked very well.

Hit a diagonal road patch at about 55 MPH or so on this trip and the trike just plain changed lanes on its own but Thank God there was nothing coming the other way. Not a confidence builder for sure! Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ... It will never cut through the air like a car, or have the smaller profile of a motorcycle. To make things worse, the effects of drag are applied exponentially, so at twice the speed you have up to four times the drag. Combine these factors
    This, I believe, is the major factor in the lower gas mileage. Double your speed from 25 mph to 50 mph and the wind drag increases by a factor of 4. Increase speed from 60 mph to 75 mph and drag increases by over 1.5.

The front of the RT is shaped like a barn door, especially with that huge front windshield. On the other hand, the comfort is better than any other bike I've ridden, and I don't want to give that up for better gas mileage.
    Dan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    I am sure that most Harley riders don't buy their rides for MPG either and they get around 40 or so from what most tell me. When these things first hit the market the promotions were saying wild figures like 45 to 55 MPG as another benefit of them and they sure didn't ever see anything close to that.
    Harleys get around 45 mpg on average and some even more if tuned with the engine tuner... I got 45 on the fatboy highway before increasing the engine to 103" now about 35+ mpg.

The Hayabusa i had with 150 hp stock got almost 50 mpg. after then turbo charge to 300 hp it got 35 to 40 mpg.

the Harley touring also carry now 6 gallons of fuel or a 270 mile range at say 45 mpg. they are claiming on the new limited even with 103" engine: (EPA urban/highway test) 35/54 mpg

Spyder Garage

Comparing the Spyder - RS or RT - to a 2 wheeler is comparing apples to oranges. Try comparing it to the TriGlide, or another trike conversion, couple of examples, Victory Crossbow trike in a Rider Magazine test, 28 mpg, Ural sidecar rig 28 mpg, top speed 60 mph.

john

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Comparing the Spyder - RS or RT - to a 2 wheeler is comparing apples to oranges. Try comparing it to the TriGlide, or another trike conversion, couple of examples, Victory Crossbow trike in a Rider Magazine test, 28 mpg, Ural sidecar rig 28 mpg, top speed 60 mph.

john

Spyder Garage

I wont chime in on the technical stuff because there are members here that obviously know the fine points very well. The technical talk makes sense about air drag, ethonal mix, etc. We have pretty good gas in Alaska, and I can get either 87, 89, or 90 octane. I mostly use the 90 as recommended, but there have been places where I could only get 87. I do not notice too much performance difference with the lower octane (we were in Canada for 3 days, and 87 was all I could get where we were)--the tank had a chance to get all the high test out and be mostly 87. The mileage has improved on my RTS from 27 up to 32-34 in 11K miles. The big factor for me seems to be speed and mix of speeds. Commuting to work with 3/4 highway at 70 and 1/4 in town at varying speeds usually gives me about 31 mpg. Straight highway at 70 and at 5000 rpms or higher gives great performance, but 30-32. Straight highway at 60 and 4500 rpms with some 40 mph twisties, etc usually results in 34 or a little better. For me, the mileage changes are noticable based on my riding style. My Vulcan 900, which is more aerodynamic because of two wheel configuragion and less heavy, (about 750 #) consistently gets 47 to 50 mpg depending on the above. I'm checking the miles per gallon stuff almost every fill because, since I'm an accountant, I like playing with numbers.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I guess a Harley, or my Vision could get 45 consistently if driven prudently. We recently took a trip to S Padre Island, 2 Wings, 3 Harleys and my Vision. Two of the Harleys (Ultra) had the 6 gallon tank, and one of them was an 09. In Texas as I am sure most of you are aware of the speed limit on the Interstate is 80, which conservatively means one would ride 85. I can tell you with certainty that no Harley got over 40, if they even got 40 at that speed. Surprisingly the Wings got the best, (yes even better than my Vic). Just a real world observation at speed. Drop the speed and they get real good mileage. Running 80 most of the day my Vic got 39 mpg.

From Van Horn, to El Passo, about 120 miles and running 85+ Vic used about 3, my buddies on the wing (one two up) used 2.9 and the two ultras used 3.2 and 3.4 one was two up and loaded. The Road glide was almost empty...

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Default 10% ETHANOL fix

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

I have not run this product in a spyder but I have suggested it to many of my customers and they like it. I run it in my truck and find I get 12%+ gain in MPG. It is called STAR TRON It retails for $8 a bottle and treats 48 gallons. It is designed to combat ethanol problems specifically.