Spyder Garage

Default Help me plan a Labor Day weekend trip

I have a 4-day weekend for Labor Day. I can't travel more than 250-miles away without a pass from the Army and it's too late to put in for one now.

Here's what I have to work with:

I like history, especially military history and colonial life. I'd like to keep the entire trip under $300 ($50 in gas will get me 600 miles at $2.50 per gallon). I have a tent and sleeping bag, so camping is OK.

I'm willing to hit the road on a trip planned by Spyderlovers. Where you gonna send me?

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Spyder Garage

Ok my friend, how about Charleston, SC.

You can go the the american military musem americanmilitarymuseum.org
    and there is a ton of colonial history all through the city.

And there is an AFB close by so you may not need to camp if there is room at the inn so to speak.

Oh and there is a bbq place called Stickey Fingers that is awsome.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Based upon where you live, I assume you've already been to Jeckle Island. Historic, but not military. There is a campground but likely booked for that weekend. But it is a really neat place to see how the rich partied back in the day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Rev View Post
    Based upon where you live, I assume you've already been to Jeckle Island. Historic, but not military. There is a campground but likely booked for that weekend. But it is a really neat place to see how the rich partied back in the day.
    I'm not from Georgia, only here for a few months to attend school. The only place I've been so far is Saint Augustine, Florida.

The only other city off the table is Savannah, Georgia. I have a trip planned for there in October.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Have two suggestions, and you can and should do them both. Someone has already mantioned Charleston where you can go across the River to Mt Pleasant were there is Patroits Point that has the Aircraft Carrier Yorktown with dozens of aircraft on board and a WWII submarine,they used to have 3 other ships the NS Savannah, and a Coast Guard cutter, these 2 are gone for good, they also had a WWII destroyer, when I was last there it was upriver at the old naval base for repairs, may be back by now. You can also take a tour boat there to tour the harbor and go to Fort Sumter. While on that side of the River you can go out to Sullivans Island an go to Fort Moultrie. There are also a few old Plantions on that side of the river. Back in Historic Charleston there is plenty to see. In North Charleston on the old Navy base they have the first Submarine to sink an enemy ship the confederate sub Hunley, she was recovered from the bottom of Charleston Harbor several years ago.
    Then you can go 2 hours south to Savannah, were again there is plenty to see in downtown and go out to Tybee Island, going out both on the left side of the road is old Fort Jackson and Fort Pulaski on Tybee Island see the old lighthouse and there is another old fort there

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you happen to come to Charleston let me know. I live in Beaufort- about 80 miles away. I'd mention the military around here also but maybe you might trek this way when you come to Savannah

Would love to do a little rydin w/ you tho!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would also be game for ryding to Charleston and Mt. Pleasant with you.

Charleston also has a place called Charlestowne Landing, which is a historic site of the original settlement that started the city. They have reconstructed the original fence, and have some cannon placements, and an old trading style ship in the creek you can go on. They also have a small zoo there. Not the best for military history, but the new museum does tell the story of the founding of Charleston pretty well.

Downtown has Rainbow Row, the different colored houses on The Battery that you see in all kinds of pictures, the old slave market, a bunch of historical tours you can take as well. There is also a museum and the aquarium in that area. Lots to do that shouldn't be too costly.

Spyder Garage

My vote is for Savannah. Eat at Paula Deans restaurant. The city is beautiful. Take the tour as soon as you get into town so you can see your way around later.

Hilton Head is also close by and worth a day trip if you haven't seen it. The old for in Savannah is also very nice. Have a fun trip and thanks for your service!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Savannah

When Wacky Dan came thru town we cruised to Tybee Island, and then went to visit the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum, which was really cool.
    I'd go there again if anyone want to make the trip

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by musicarcade View Post
    When Wacky Dan came thru town we cruised to Tybee Island, and then went to visit the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum, which was really cool.
    I'd go there again if anyone want to make the trip
    That sounds like a cool trip as well. Hit me up when you are thinking about going, as I may just join you for that one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ride

DEALS GAP... tail of the dragon...one of the best motorcycle rides on east coast!!!N.C.TENN. border..in your circle...tailofthedragon.com...loved it!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rattdaddy@netzero. View Post
    DEALS GAP... tail of the dragon...one of the best motorcycle rides on east coast!!!N.C.TENN. border..in your circle...tailofthedragon.com...loved it!!!!
    Ya know, I've never taken a trip where the ride itself was the reason for traveling. I've always ridden to something. A non-"Type A" trip might be a good change of pace.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

Hurricane Earl is due to skirt the Carolinas on Thursday. Looks like Charleston and/or Savannah may be a no-go.

Certified Huligan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    Hurricane Earl is due to skirt the Carolinas on Thursday. Looks like Charleston and/or Savannah may be a no-go.
    Let's hope this one takes a sharp right and heads back out to open water instead of hitting the coast.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

The best trips are when you sorta have a desination but subject to change at any turn...Helen, Ga...great roads to ride, wonderful little town

http://www.helenga.org/

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to avoid the coast this weekend, plus Savannah and Charleston really deserve a whole weekend each.

So, here's my itinerary:

Friday: Deals Gap / The Dragon (via Rt 28)
    Saturday: Suches, GA (via Cherohala Skyway)
    Sunday: Chickamauga
    Monday: Andersonville Prison Camp

Should be about 1000 miles.
    Last edited by ArmyJoe; 09-04-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Certified Huligan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default road trip

enjoy the dragon!!!.....be safe......tell us about it when you get back!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I hope you have a great trip.

My Spyder is currently torn apart for new mod installs. I am hoping to get them done by tomorrow night, so I can go for a ryde sometime this weekend.

Spyder Garage

I'm back. 1132 miles in 4 days. I'll write about it in a few days, once the Dragon pics are online.
    Last edited by ArmyJoe; 09-06-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Certified Huligan

Spyder Garage

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm back. 1132 miles in 4 days. I'll write aboutit in a few days, once the Dragon pics are online.
    Oh Yeah! We luv pics!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default dragon pics

they are great pics they take on the dragon!!! i spent over $100.00 on them... but the're great!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm back. 1132 miles in 4 days. I'll write about it in a few days, once the Dragon pics are online.
    Glad to hear you are back safely. Hope you had a great time.

Spyder Garage

Looking forward to pics

So far it sounds like a good trip.

The longest I have gone one way was 400 miles. From Westminster, CA. up to San Jose, CA. to see the Winchester mystore house.

My wife has done a 700 mile day with a local group out here on the west coast. I was out of town for work