Spyder Garage

Default RTse5 will not start ??

RTSE5 will not start... I have checked battery strong reading put on charger to be sure, checked connections at posts all secure, pressed and checked fuses and swapped relays around to check in frunk, checked fuses on right side near passenger hand grip, checked kill switch, pressed on brake peddle, have full tank of fuel, engine turns but will not start. Spyder has run perfect since purchased, we just returned from Corbin in California pulling trailer and never missed a lick. Parked for 2 days after trip,I did wash it to get salt film from ocean off just hand push out of garage to wash.Went outnext day and could not start. I even laid hands on Spyder to no evaile. ???? What to-do !
    Last edited by wa3wheels; 08-19-2010 at 12:17 AM.
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

Did you check for fault codes? Press "Mode", "Set" and turn signal "Cancel" simultaneously...active fault codes will appear on display. Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn on the switch? Sounds like you may be in for a trip to the dealer. There are a lot of possible causes, which will take old-fashioned troubleshooting to discover. Hope you can manage to get it there somehow.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Did you get a new seat at Corbins?

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Same problem

I had the same experience about a week ago. Went to basement garage, hand pushed RT out to pad and closed garage door (all to keep from distribing wife's sleep) and tried to start the RT. Turned over but would never fire. Gave up and took my truck to work. Later in the day, I returned home and tried the RT again. Same result, turned over but no fire. Plenty of gas. Put Rt on a battery charger and tried several more times with no result. Called my dealer and they sent a trailer to pickup the RT. While waiting, I tried it again and finally, it started but sounded and smelled like it had been flooded. Wasn't able to determine cause of starting failure so let the dealer take it to check it out. They put it on BUDS and got no codes. They wern't able to get it to fail again. BTW, I had never touched the throttle during any of the starting attempts. Anyway, got it back home the next day and have reidden it every day during the last week with no more starting problems. Still don't know what might have caused the problem but I thought it might have had something to do with removing it from a air conditioned garage into the much warmer outside air prior to starting. Computer might have called for richer fuel mixture than was actually required in warmer outside air. Hope it dosn't happen again while I'm away from home on a long trip.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    I had the same experience about a week ago. Went to basement garage, hand pushed RT out to pad and closed garage door (all to keep from distribing wife's sleep) and tried to start the RT. Turned over but would never fire. Gave up and took my truck to work. Later in the day, I returned home and tried the RT again. Same result, turned over but no fire. Plenty of gas. Put Rt on a battery charger and tried several more times with no result. Called my dealer and they sent a trailer to pickup the RT. While waiting, I tried it again and finally, it started but sounded and smelled like it had been flooded. Wasn't able to determine cause of starting failure so let the dealer take it to check it out. They put it on BUDS and got no codes. They wern't able to get it to fail again. BTW, I had never touched the throttle during any of the starting attempts. Anyway, got it back home the next day and have reidden it every day during the last week with no more starting problems. Still don't know what might have caused the problem but I thought it might have had something to do with removing it from a air conditioned garage into the much warmer outside air prior to starting. Computer might have called for richer fuel mixture than was actually required in warmer outside air. Hope it dosn't happen again while I'm away from home on a long trip.
    If all else fails it's still ok to hold the throttle wide open when cranking just in case it's flooded.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wa3wheels View Post
    RTSE5 will not start... . . . . we just returned from Corbin in California pulling trailer and never missed a lick. Parked for 2 days after trip, . . . . Went out next day and could not start.
    The poor thing is probably just tired and needs some rest!

Sorry we missed you on your way through. Glad you had a safe trip.
    Really sorry to hear about the Spyder not starting . From reading the other posts, it sounds like it's not an isolated incident. Hope we can all learn from your experience. . . just in case we're next.
    Keep us posted!

Cat
    Vaughn
    Spyder Cat's other half
    Passing thru Southern Oregon? Come ryde with us SOreSpyders@yahoo.com

2010 RT-SE5 PE#783
    Mods: Corbin Custom Seat & passenger arm rests; Elka Shocks, RT622 trailer, and lots and lots of gas. . . . and did I mention, a new rear tire?
    2010 RS , custom home made billet Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default No start .... Follow up.

Went down to garage this AM after talking with my friend Dennis in California who had the same problem. I tried to start again and it still would not fire up, decided to continue to crank again and again .... and olaa it fired up .. ... let it run for a while until I got 4 bars on temp. Turned off and let set while checking oil which was down about a half quart. Just had serviced prior to trip and was showing on the stick and over fill which I understand is common when serviced by some dealers. decided to cross fingers and turned key and pushed start button and Spyder fired right up and continues to do so. ... I do not have a clue as to the no start. Dennis did take his to dealer and they found no fault codes as others have mentioned.
    wa3wheels How can u drop a raw egg onto a concrete floor without cracking it? *Any way you want, concrete floors are very hard to crack.

Spyder Garage

Default New seat

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Did you get a new seat at Corbins?
    Yes with passenger arm rests .... Happy campers with Corbin, this is our 4th Corbin.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wa3wheels View Post
    Went down to garage this AM after talking with my friend Dennis in California who had the same problem. I tried to start again and it still would not fire up, decided to continue to crank again and again .... and olaa it fired up .. ... let it run for a while until I got 4 bars on temp. Turned off and let set while checking oil which was down about a half quart. Just had serviced prior to trip and was showing on the stick and over fill which I understand is common when serviced by some dealers. decided to cross fingers and turned key and pushed start button and Spyder fired right up and continues to do so. ... I do not have a clue as to the no start. Dennis did take his to dealer and they found no fault codes as others have mentioned.
    If it finally started on it's own, it likely was flooded. Here's an interesting tip about the "Clear Flood Mode" on fuel injected engines:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/techtips/M...20001204a.html

I'm not sure if the Spyder is set up the same way, but it's worth a shot if it happens again.

Spyder Garage

Default No start .... Follow up.

Thanks for the information, I shall pass this on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had that problem right after getting my SE5 back from the shop for the first service. Turns out the mechanic didn't tighten down the ground cable on the battery.
    You would not believe what I went through before figuring that out.
    Holy s&$!%,

Did you know that you have to disassemble half the bike just to get a look at the battery terminals??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chrisad50 View Post
    I had that problem right after getting my SE5 back from the shop for the first service. Turns out the mechanic didn't tighten down the ground cable on the battery.
    You would not believe what I went through before figuring that out.
    Holy s&$!%,

Did you know that you have to disassemble half the bike just to get a look at the battery terminals??
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15889