Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Looked at Ural before I got the Spyder, 60 mph top end, 28 mpg just wouldn't do it for me.

john
    The Ural is the coolest piece of junk out there, I would love to own one.
    But I like working on stuff too.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, they don't go to fast. We do mostly country backroad riding but you're right, if I was on the highway with it, that would be bad. Would be a fun toy to have during the winter months though! No place to snowmobile around here but we could ride one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Looked at Ural before I got the Spyder, 60 mph top end, 28 mpg just wouldn't do it for me.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

2010 Triglide 10.000 Miles no issues
    Just did several hundred Kilometers of dirt roads around lake Huron when wet and Muddy and think my old would not been able to pull it off with all that nanny stuff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Just did several hundred Kilometers of dirt roads around lake Huron when wet and Muddy and think my old would not been able to pull it off with all that nanny stuff
    Nothing runs like a Deere!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I've been lusting over a BMW R1200GS Adventure, but can't afford another $17K bike.

2009 Yellow SM5 with BRP R35 saddlebags, CHAD windshield, ESI Up & Out Mirror Extensions, ESI 4" Handlebar Risers, Hindle muffler, Green Filter, Juice Box Pro, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, Cortech Sport Tailbag, trunk liner, trunk spring, 12V trunk outlet, Eastern Beaver PC8 Fuse Panel, and two dashboard Powerlet outlets.

Certified Huligan
    The user formerly known as GIJoe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Roaddog, so you like the tri-glide? I think the street glide trike looks pretty cool and if I get spyder problems again, that may be what I'm getting.

Have you tried that one? Any thoughts?
    Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My Spyder saga....

F.W.I.W.

I eagerly purchased an '08 Spyder in Sept of 08. Shortly after that, I started to have some "issues" which were the backfires, gas fumes, poor MPG, and the squeakiest brakes in town.... well.. next to the local freight train... I was 2nd.. and the drive belt howling, and the melted instrument cluster, and oil leaks, and radiator leaks, and the alignment, and on and on and on.

Like I have said many times prior... I wanted this Spyder SOOOO bad! I paid GOOD cash for it... was absolutely silly happy at 1st.

Then, the shop time.

all 4 months of it

in one year

Finally lost faith in it when the DPS locked up for the 3rd time on I-85 South Bound @ 75mph near exit 51.
    I sold that P.O.S. and got a Honda NT700V ABS.. and since I drove it off the lot, not ONE TIME IN THE SHOP!

Silky smooth, 52.5MPG, Shaft Drive, as quiet as a church fart, and can teach a cat a thing or two about purring... The love is back!

So...... When BRP can at least MATCH Honda on reliability... just match... no need to exceed... just match.. then MAYBE I would reconsider a BRP product... Until then..... BRP needs to fire all their engineers and start fresh with the ones Honda fires... because the fired Honda engineers are better than the ones BRP currently has.

It is not the dealerships... they are as frustrated as they can be as well .

They are at the mercy of BRP too as well as the mercy of the "blind folded dart throw" fixes that the BRP engineers are grappling for.

On a positive note, BRP has the design team.. I will give you that... the RS and RT bikes LOOK stunning . Unfortunately, looks do not get you reliably down the road. Looks lure you in the dealership, and looks separate you from your wallet.
    Last edited by scdtrd; 08-19-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    For those that sold their Spyder (whatever the reason was), I would like to know what you replaced it with.

My spyder is going on 3 months in the shop. We think that the new DPS unit is defective!!! I am really ticked off by all that down time (almost the entire summer), and am thinking about selling mine and getting someting else, maybe another trike.

What are your experiences?
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having such problems. My wife and I (Spydergirl) have been proud and happy Spyder owners since February of 2008 and now we have two. We've been nearly all the way across country on the first one and we've had zero debilitating problems in 26000+ miles. I hope you get past this point before making the decision to sell and I hope your luck starts improving. Remember that problems like this are few and far between but they do happen.

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar Rover View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having such problems. My wife and I (Spydergirl) have been proud and happy Spyder owners since February of 2008 and now we have two. We've been nearly all the way across country on the first one and we've had zero debilitating problems in 26000+ miles. I hope you get past this point before making the decision to sell and I hope your luck starts improving. Remember that problems like this are few and far between but they do happen.

Good luck.
    We are a 2 Spyder family as well. Granted we are still new, just 5,000 on the RS-S and 2600 miles on 14. But I have only had 14 a few weeks and I ride hard. So far these machines are treating us extremely well. I realize by the research I have beend doing that '08 wasn't a stellar year for the Spyder. There seemed to be a pretty fair amount of issues. That's going to happen with any new product, especially one like the Spyder that has a bunch of technlogy built into it. I think it really set a bad rep for the breed.

But things really do seem to be improving. Maybe I'm kidding myself but all I know is that the 2 we have are amazing machines that are providing us alot of pleasure to this point. I beat the alarm clock now every morning because I can't wait to hop on 14 to ride into work!

Anyway, I wish everyone well with their choices whatever they may be. Just to provide a little perspective, I rode by a HD that was broke down on the highway. Another one blew past me lane splitting with a rear wheel that was wobbling so bad I don't know how he was holding on to it. And when I pulled in to fuel up, there was another, the rider couldn't get it started. He was in a bad place in the station and he couldn't really move it. I was going to go over and help him but a couple of guys beat me over there. So there you go. Every make of machine has their problems. It's all a matter of perception. Good luck and good riding to all, whatever it is yer on!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scdtrd View Post
    F.W.I.W.

as quiet as a church fart
    That is funny! I never heard that saying before!

Anyway, glad you are happy with your new purchase. Over 50 MPG? SWEET! 4 months of shop time is way too insane.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I've been looking at a Buell Ulysses or a used Kawasaki Concours for a two wheeler. I think they fit the way I like to ride the best.
    Hey Brian, my '99 Concours was as reliable as a stone axe! They are a great bike. The guy I sold it to at work is still happily riding it all over the continent.

Just to respond to the question asked in this thread, my Spyder replacement is shown in the pic below my signature block.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Director View Post
    Hey Brian, my '99 Concours was as reliable as a stone axe! They are a great bike. The guy I sold it to at work is still happily riding it all over the continent.

Just to respond to the question asked in this thread, my Spyder replacement is shown in the pic below my signature block.

Bruce
    Hey Bruce, it's funny you mention that.....I also had a Connie, an '86 which was quite reliable. Well you wouldn't think it was a very good bike by reading the Connie forums......similar to these Spyder forums.

BTW, my Spyder is as reliable as a butter dish.....so far.

Spyder Garage

Default if and when i trade in my spyder

it would be for this ...

but i don't see that happening anytime soon ,,,,
    still love my spyder
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    it would be for this ...

but i don't see that happening anytime soon ,,,,
    still love my spyder
    Great choice. My Wife (1spydercat1) and I passed by one that looked very similar to this one last week on a ride. His was a different color, kind of a Maroon. It looked like he had been on the road a while, but was kicked back just enjoying the cruise. We gave each other the big wave and off we went. Pretty cool machine! I don't know what it is exactly, perhaps a custom build. I mean, look at the engine on this thing!!
    Last edited by Raptor; 08-21-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

I like this one
    Randy
    HAPPY SPYDER OWNER
    GULF COAST SPYDERRYDERS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Great choice. My Wife (1spydercat1) and I passed by one that looked very similar to this one last week on a ride. His was a different color, kind of a Maroon. It looked like he had been on the road a while, but was kicked back just enjoying the cruise. We gave each other the big wave and off we went. Pretty cool machine! I don't know what it is exactly, perhaps a custom build. I mean, look at the engine on this thing!!
    Looks like a Boss Hoss trike.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I guess my question is: Why would any of this be on a SPYDER LOVERS forum?

Chris PE # 0004

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I guess my question is: Why would any of this be on a SPYDER LOVERS forum?

Chris PE # 0004
    Because we are a toy oriented group of people. Seems like quite a few of us like other toys too. If I had more coin in my pocket, I'd have other bikes in the garage with the Spyder

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I sold my Phantom and replaced it with an RTS. Still have the turbo Busa for when the need for speed comes up, or when I want to catch up to Doc. So far, other than suspension and brakes/clutch issues, the RTS has been reliable.

Spyder Garage

Okeedokee. That answers my question.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    Wife drives the Spyder now and I have a 98 Honda ST1100A. I missed two wheels,hence the motorcycle purchase.The Honda sport tourer is about the best motorcycle for long range touring I have owned. But..

Now I m thinking of going back to 3 wheels, actually an RS-S. Possibly later this fall,or next year.
    I did the opposite. I went from a Honda ST1100 to the RT.

I'm sorry the original poster is having so much trouble with his Spyder. Months in the shop for repairs is absurd. Definitely call Carlo. Definitely take this up with the regional representative. Definitely a problem with that dealer. ABSOLUTELY UNCONSCIONABLE !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default YOU CAN NOT PLEASE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went from This VTX1800R to my RS Loved the VTX also heres the way I look at it . I also am an auto tech. and it seems you are GOD when the job is done.Then Lord hang on when the customer gets bored again!! You are back to a WORTHLESS NO GOOD. Oh well nothing last forever. Think I will go enjoy a ride on my spyder

2009 RS with Hindle exhaust , handlebar risers , Green air filter , Juice box, Spyder Customs floor boards & Rifle windshield

Spyder Garage

I bought my Spyder below wholesale and was gonna ride it around for a few months and then sell it for profit .... two years and four more thousand dollars later, I still have the Spyder and loving it.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy Problems

Im new to the site. Decided to read up. I have 08 roadster and have had problems with DPS. First in January on highway trying to take exit with curve and it wouldn't turn. Scared crap out of me and hardly drove after. Shop said reset it. Then I finally got it out to ride when weather cooled of to the lonestar rally. Almost died on way home. Going 73 on highway and starts pull to right when I try very hard to go straight it jerks and steering feels loose. So now I'm scared and paid cash for my bike. Not sure what to do? I was a spider lover very proud, now I feel like fool.????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkNina View Post
    Im new to the site. Decided to read up. I have 08 roadster and have had problems with DPS. First in January on highway trying to take exit with curve and it wouldn't turn. Scared crap out of me and hardly drove after. Shop said reset it. Then I finally got it out to ride when weather cooled of to the lonestar rally. Almost died on way home. Going 73 on highway and starts pull to right when I try very hard to go straight it jerks and steering feels loose. So now I'm scared and paid cash for my bike. Not sure what to do? I was a spider lover very proud, now I feel like fool.????
    Have you had the DPS recall performed? It will cost you nothing and perhaps will retore some confidence in riding your Spyder. Seriously, make a call to your drealer. Get this done!