Spyder Garage

Default Prep Needed to Paint a CHAD?

I want to put some paint on the lower portion of my CHAD windshield. Is there any necessary prep to do before getting the rattle can out
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't think you would need anything more than Windex and a microfiber cloth if you are using paint intended for plastic.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    I want to put some paint on the lower portion of my CHAD windshield. Is there any necessary prep to do before getting the rattle can out
    I used a paint pen straight over some scratches, fully expecting to have to pull the screen and do it properly, and so far it shows no sigh of peeling.

I guess if it is clean and grease free, that is good enough.

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
    I would suggest you mask the area you want to paint and lightly scuff sand with a red scratch pad (3M brand) and clean with alcohol and use a good grade spray paint (Rustoleum) and be careful because of the overspray, would remove the windshield from the bike. Good luck.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    I would suggest you mask the area you want to paint and lightly scuff sand with a red scratch pad (3M brand) and clean with alcohol and use a good grade spray paint (Rustoleum) and be careful because of the overspray, would remove the windshield from the bike. Good luck.
    Toby
    Well since he is "bodymanpainter" I suspect I would go with what he says.

"My old self has been crucified with Christ.It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CRUCIFIED View Post
    I wouldn't think you would need anything more than Windex and a microfiber cloth if you are using paint intended for plastic.
    I would be careful about using Windex unless there is one specifically made for plastic. Windex can damage plastic. There are many cleaners at auto stores specifically formulated for plastic.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for your input.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

I used a non-ammonia cleaner w/micro fiber cloth to clean, masked the area not being painted, then painted the inside of the shield with Rustoleum. I wish I'd have thought about scuffing it up a little...that seems like a good idea.

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...