Thread: XM Radio

Spyder Garage

Default XM Radio

I did a search but did not find out what I was looking for. I am a new Spyder RTS Owner. I would like the XM Radio. I cannot find out how to get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gene

Spyder Garage

Gene, there are several threads that address this issue. I have very limited knowledge of electronics, motors, you name it, and opted to have my dealer install. I ordered the XM radio through my dealer and had it installed by my dealer. It was quite pricey, but I got what I wanted.

If you'll look through the threads some, you'll find that others were able to do this (get XM) on their own.

I really enjoy having the XM feature.

Chris PE # 0004

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Try Apache Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by gene0108 View Post
    I did a search but did not find out what I was looking for. I am a new Spyder RTS Owner. I would like the XM Radio. I cannot find out how to get it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Gene
    Apache Motorcycles has it listed for $449.99 (Part number: 219400148). You will need the Entertainment Harness Part number: 219400201) as well which is listed at $109.99. These are good prices compared to BRP retail.

Installation of the harness requires lifting the rear cargo module up from the frame in order to lay the entertainment harness alongside the main harness as it wraps around and attaches to the cargo module. The module weighs about 75 lbs (I think) and the task is best accomplished with some sort of strapping attached to your garage ceiling so you can lift the module. Depending on the precision of the lift, you may want a second pair of hands to help with guiding the module, especially when it comes to re-seating it.

If you ever wish to add the CB, you will have done all "heavy lifting" as it will mount and plug into the entertainment harness on the right side of the bike.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. I think I will have to wait to install this item. I need to buy radios for the helmets before I start spending that much money. Thanks for the reply. The deal will have to tackle this one for me.

Gene

Spyder Garage

Basically you have three choices:

Big bucks or not so big bucks.

Get a Germin Zumo and add the XM option and have the dealer install it.

I think BRP sells an XM module with the CB unit and have the dealer install it.

Or,
    Using the AUX plug, add an aftermarket unit like I did. I got a Pioneer XMp3 and set it up in the trunk. Install was as simple as affixing double stick tape to the mount (Already present on mount) and plug it in.

Either way you will need an XM subscription. BUT DONT PAY FULL PRICE.
    I have only been paying $77/year for the last four years. Go to FATWALLET.COM and search the deals forum for XM radio 50% off.
    Your Milage May Vary.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

You can also buy a life time subscription with XM.

Spyder Garage

I have a lifetime to Sirius radio. I will look into this. I hate listening to the radio.

Thanks,
    Gene

Spyder Garage

Default XM

Where did you put the antenna for the XM p3? I presently have the Roady 2 that I took off my Gold Wing.... I would love to mount it in the trunk but am unsure where to put the antenna.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gene0108 View Post
    I have a lifetime to Sirius radio. I will look into this. I hate listening to the radio.

Thanks,
    Gene
    Isn't XM & Sirius the same company now?
    So a lifetime subscription to one should be a lifetime to the other.....true?

Spyder Garage

Default xm

I have a Garmin GPSmap 478 combo with both marine and street data as well as XM WEATHER and all XM channels. I have its output running through an FM converter right into the stock radio and all is well.

The only problem I have is with my iphone which is hooked up in the trunk. I can hear the phone ring while listening to the ipod part but cannot figure out how to answer it.

Thanks
    Jester
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Yes they are. They have different packages that they offer. I don't recall exactly what mine was, but it isn't the one that offers the most stations, but a "step down" from that. I think the price was around $400.00 for a lifetime package. I could be wrong on that amount.

Spyder Garage

Not exactly, they are both owned by the same company (merged) but use different satellites. Your XM radio won't pick up Sirius and vice versa which is why XM has a "best of Sirius" package they offer. I'm not sure if the package prices are comparable or not. But you can't just switch between the two.
    Jay on Omega Bay Texas
    Spyder RT-S PE# 536
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715

Spyder Garage

Jay's right. I stand corrected on that one.

Spyder Garage

Default XM with SkyDock & Ipod

Works great. Plug the SkyDock in the 12v (rear trunk area) with my Ipod..put the magnetic antenna on the bolt right near the 12v outlet. Tune FM to 89.1 and XM away...of course there is the monthly XM charge of around $6...but I love my XM..works great.