Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 4in RISER HELP,,NMM

I received 4in risers for XMAS and I hope to install this weekend with help from my son, I'm 58 and anyone has any TIPS on doing it right, I know its not suppose to be really hard. THANKS, FRIENDS,

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

replace hand grips ...... not worth beating yourself up to get them off ... cheap replace .... other than that easy to follow instructions ...first set took me 2 hours second about 45 minutes ... but on my girls spyder we replaced grips so all i had to do was cut off originals ....

Spyder Garage

Get a heavy duty pipe cutter. The type you turn around and around the pipe while tightening the blade contact. This will make a nice clean cut on the bars. The rest is just bolting the risers on - love the difference in seating position!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go to Spyder ShopTalk sub forum How-to-step by step. There are a couple of thread on this type of install here is one

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6190

Spyder Garage

IF you replace the grips, be very careful removing the throttle side grip, it's on a plastic sleeve that can be damaged easily. I used a broken guitar string to remove mine, hardest part was getting it through. A very slim screwdriver that's long enough works too.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I found that getting to the zip ties that will slacken the wiring harness was the most difficult. I had to remove the windshield, instrument cluster and top cover to get to them and their buried deep on the right side[2 ties]. Tip: use a screwdriver wedged between the harness and tie so you can cut them safely and easier using as xacto knife.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 4" Riser Install

I had mine installed a few weeks ago. My experience is the same as most others; the 4" riser makes the ride a lot more comfortable.

As others have indicated, here's a small check list I used:
    1. Pipe cutter ($15 Home Depot)
    2. BRP custom handle bar grip ($40)
    3. Check cables for proper slack

I posted a few photos for you (see linkbelow). I hope it helps.

Good luck!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...hp?albumid=961

Spyder Garage

Default Just Installed mine...

Quote Originally Posted by jimclarkf1 View Post
    I received 4in risers for XMAS and I hope to install this weekend with help from my son, I'm 58 and anyone has any TIPS on doing it right, I know its not suppose to be really hard. THANKS, FRIENDS,
    I am 58 also, and it took me a while to install them because my little son was out somewhere, and sometimes I needed his help, as I am a left leg 'aka'...

I removed many plastic body pieces like Lamont says in his instructions, including the rubber boot under the handlebar base, to be able to pull cables and wires and to cut tie-wraps as needed.

I decided to pre-install everything on the original handlebar before cutting the bars, just to make sure that the cables and wires were long enough.

I bought the 4" kit, but never knew for sure if my SE5 had the 1" factory suplement installed at the dealership or not, so I wanted to have a way out if the cables and wires did not reach the new position of the controls.

It added a little more work, but the peace of mind was worth it.

When loosening the tips of your grips, make sure that you only drive the screws out just a few turns and not completely. Otherwise you may leave a plastic conical piece inside the handlebar tube, which is difficult to get out.

When working with small tools (i.e.: hex wrenches), bolts, nuts, screws, etc., remember that your Spyder is now "naked", and that anything that slips from your hands will likely fall into places where you cannot reach unless you remove more and more plastic body pieces and miscellaneous paraphernalia (under engine, between steering unit and engine, under radiators, etc.).

When you re-install the rubber boot under the handlebar base, make sure that you leave the throttle cables over (not under...) it.

If you need any help, just let me know.

Saludos, Pilo